TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I think they should. Why pay the same price for an older model. If you went to trade in 2 bikes of the same make and model, both in the same condition and same miles, which would get the better trade in? The 1yr. old bike, or the 5 yr. old bike?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yamaha will still offer a warranty on a bike that is last year's model and is sold through a dealer so that may be a factor. I've found if there's only one left on the floor at the dealership-you might be able to get a deal. Remember it's "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price"...it's only a suggestion :D

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
As I shop for TW200's I found some that were a few years old with zero miles yet they are asking full retail ???

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
As I shop for TW200's I found some that were a few years old with zero miles yet they are asking full retail ???
Maybe it's all about the color of the bike. If I was in the market for a new bike I would pay full price for a 2016 over the 2017 only because I like the color better. Just saying

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Dumb dealers! Left over bikes actually cost a dealer more than a brand new one simply because they have been paying the floor plan on the leftover for way too long. Do a little math with me.

Say a TW costs a dealer $3,000 from Yamaha. The dealer normally does not pay up front for all the bikes in his inventory and instead buys them on a floor plan where he pays say $30 per month just to have it on his floor. When he sells the bike he now owes Yamaha the $3,000 for the bike plus $30 for every month he had it until it sold. That adds $360 per year to the initial price of the bike. He has to pay Yamaha $3,360 when the bike is sold if he had it for a full 12 months. If he had it for 2 full years he owes Yamaha $3,720 or $4,080 if he has had it for 3 years. The longer he has the bike unsold the more expensive it becomes to him. Dealers are way smarter to just take a loss than to hang on to left over bikes. Some dealers do have enough available cash to just buy all the bikes in their inventory and not deal with floor plan interest. That is great as long as you get the inventory sold so you can put that cash back to work for you. If a dealer has a brand new 2014 sitting in a crate he is a fool to not blow it out at $3,000 while a new 2017 might sell for $4,300.

GaryL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts