TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a hitch mounted carrier that can withstand offroad abuse.

The Dub will live on the back of my Burb through washboard roads and mild trails.

Don't want it falling off 🙂

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is a home made version. It’s built with 2” steel hitch material so it can serve as an extension that allows you to also place it on the rear of the vehicle if you want to tow a very light utility trailer. It has an aluminum rail that holds the tires in place and a flip up tire blocking lever. It is also wired for blinkers and driving lights. It’s very robust but not overly heavy. For the pin, I welded a 5/8” nut on the inside of the insert so I can use a 5/8” bolt instead of a pin. This allows me to tighten it up snug to the receiver so it has no wobble. It works well. I also built the hitch on the front of the truck so it’s overkill as well.

5BD4B19E-0BE4-41C4-8ED7-1450CDE8523E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
We have one very much like that on the rear of our camping trailer.
I designed it and had it pro-built & installed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the idea of the front rack because of the already ridiculous departure angle of a Suburban lol.

My only concern would be restricted airflow. I'd have to try it.

I suppose I could fab something but I'm experiencing a fit of laziness 🙂

·
Registered
220 Posts
Having the rack on the front is very handy. Advantages are you can visualize the motorcycle at all times while driving and it’s out of the way of any camper doors, hatchs, camping or boat trailers. Down sides are when it gets dark the motorcycle blocks the headlights quite a bit and when you get home you spend a week scrubbing the dried bugs off your bike.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great points I didn't think much about the lights because I can install any number of the aux lights I have laying around the shop (offroad vehicle builder). And I typically hit camp before dark. But it's a good point to remember.

I suppose I could easily switch the rack too though. Front on trail, back on highway.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Any rack should work acceptably well as long as some sort of hitch tightener is used. If one can stop the wobble then fatigue stress can be greatly reduced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts