TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retire July 1st and Ordered a 2017 Jayco Octane 161 TH and plan on doing some travels and winter in Arizona. To save water I plan on taking a shower at Pilot when I have the points.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Showers at truck stops USED to be cheap - back twenty years ago you could get a shower for $3. Now it's ten dollars unless you buy a hundred gallons of fuel or so.

I guess it's that there just aren't enough truck stops these days - and the Eco-Forces make it hard-to-impossible to put more of them up in many areas. So the DRIVERS ONLY section is always crowed and there's generally a waiting line for the showers.

I did this extensively back 25 years ago when I traveled from Ohio to Alaska living in the back of my Datsun King Kab. There just wasn't any MONEY for motels; so I'd shower at truck stops. If there were no truck stops convenient, I'd do a sink-bath in the restroom of a Mickey Dee's...get an intact, used Large Coke cup out of the trash, and use it to wash your hair and neck.

Cheap living. It's great - when you're young.

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
Reddog, you don't really have to collect the "points"...to get a shower at any of the Pilot Truck stops, or...at ANY major truck stop in the USA & Canada.

You "can" do it that way...if you choose...or do it the way I do when I am on a coast to coast ride for an endurance rally, or a long distance event.

I simply pull my big street bike up into one of the car parking spots close to the door for the truck drivers entrance....take my diddy bag off the bike, lay my helmet on the bike seat, cover the bike, then walk into the truck stop, through the truckers entrance. Walk up to the service counter, ask for a "shower room". They usually ask me, "have you fueled up ?" To which I answer, "yes Ma'am I have". (which is the truth, my motorcycle is now full of fuel). 9 times out of 10 they just hand me a shower room key, a fresh towel and wash cloth, and a new bar of soap.

I guess they figure...if he walks like a trucker (bow-legged), and talks like a trucker, and smells like a trucker, dang it all, he must be a trucker.:p
My conscious wouldn't let me do that.

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
I believe that everyone would have to be..."conscious"....the word you used....to be able to be awake enough to take a shower.

Now, if you meant the word...conscience...you would have to "have" a conscience, for it to stop you from doing that. In my case, I did not lie to the employee. They asked me a question, and I told them the truth.

It also helps if you are used to regularly taking showers .
Yep, that's the word I meant, thank you. It's been a long day. It would bother me if I was deceitful, but that is a personal choice. I would rather pay the regular price and feel good about myself. I would feel like I did the right thing.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I don't understand why you would even consider showering at a truck stop with a self contained camper like the 161. Walmart allows campers to stay overnight in there parking lots. Shower in your camper and roll out in the morning. When you get to Bel Air MD stop by and you can shower after we hit a quarry.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I don't understand why you would even consider showering at a truck stop with a self contained camper like the 161. Walmart allows campers to stay overnight in there parking lots. Shower in your camper and roll out in the morning. When you get to Bel Air MD stop by and you can shower after we hit a quarry.
Top Pred is right. Truck stops are noisy...WalMarts are much quieter. You can buy a Rand McNally road atlas in Walmart that lists all of them... and then use that to plan stops. We overnight at truck stops only as a last resort...they are fine for fuel and to use the dump stations. And personally, I'd rather use my own shower than one that who knows who cleaned it?

PS...That's a nice TH! Hope you have many happy miles!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I retire July 1st and Ordered a 2017 Jayco Octane 161 TH and plan on doing some travels and winter in Arizona. To save water I plan on taking a shower at Pilot when I have the points.
After I retired, I drove/delivered Motor Home RVs for several years {6} ...my #1 place to stop, eat, shower, and sleep in the lots was Flying J{now owned by Pilot} ...back in the day they were cheap enough, even without the points, and clean....worth your while:

Route 66 #1.JPG

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
If I was single{and don't get me wrong, I hope my wife outlives me by a long shot:)}....I would buy a nice 30 foot motorhome, a hauler for behind, and live on the road most of the year...in those 6 years I drove, I was somewhat young...53-59 after retirement, and delivered in most of the states and Canada...talk about freedom, even with the check points, I was never hassled by the feds[only on a few occasions by the assholes running the dealerships, but that is not a problem when owning one}...I got to see some great places...meet interesting people::D

Enjoyed Traveling West to Vegas, Yuma, or to South Florida, most, but all of the places I visited and passed through were something most people could only dream about...and Hell I got paid, not a lot, but paid to do this and always came out a few bucks ahead, even if I stopped in Las Vegas for a few days ;)

Somewhere in Colorado.jpg Winslow to Flagstaff.png SunVoyager.jpg GoldCoast_2a.jpg

{1} Somewhere in Colorado
{2} Heading down I~40 between Winslow and Flagstaff, AZ
{3} 40 footer to Yuma
{4} From my room at the Gold Coast after a delivery to Vegas

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
When my wife and me first met we loved wilderness camping away from all civilization. Always by a river or lake with the tent so we could almost always get clean by going in for a dip. We have two five gallon Solar Showers that work better than we ever could have imagined. These are black collapsible water bags with a shower head and control faucet attached. Fill them with water and set them in the sun for a few hours and you have a real nice hot shower you can hang over a tree branch and enjoy. Many times we left them in the sun too long and had to wait until the water cooled.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
When my wife and me first met we loved wilderness camping away from all civilization. Always by a river or lake with the tent so we could almost always get clean by going in for a dip. We have two five gallon Solar Showers that work better than we ever could have imagined. These are black collapsible water bags with a shower head and control faucet attached. Fill them with water and set them in the sun for a few hours and you have a real nice hot shower you can hang over a tree branch and enjoy. Many times we left them in the sun too long and had to wait until the water cooled.

GaryL
Those really do work so well...

·
Registered
746 Posts
A pump-up sprayer is even better. Get a black one, or paint it black. Or you can heat water in a separate pot and pour it into the sprayer. I've done that many, many times.
If traveling via motorcycle you can get a small hand-held sprayer; it works too. Like this one: http://amzn.to/28UmgqP

·
Registered
762 Posts
Top Pred is right. Truck stops are noisy...WalMarts are much quieter. You can buy a Rand McNally road atlas in Walmart that lists all of them... and then use that to plan stops. We overnight at truck stops only as a last resort...they are fine for fuel and to use the dump stations. And personally, I'd rather use my own shower than one that who knows who cleaned it?

PS...That's a nice TH! Hope you have many happy miles!
Not all Wal-Marts allow this.

In the East, and in California for the most part, it's forbidden. Management will have you towed.

A lot depends on the character of the area. If it's high-crime and Wal-Mart is trying to police their grounds, they'll kick off transients. West of the Mississippi, where there are little problems and a lot of vacationers passing through, they're welcome. Or they want stoppers to register at Customer Service.

I tried to sleep in my van once in a Wal-Mart near San Diego. I was lucky to wake up before the tow truck actually got the chains on - the rule is, once it's hooked it is going with the truck, even if the owner is on the scene.

So...proceed with caution.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Not all Wal-Marts allow this.

In the East, and in California for the most part, it's forbidden. Management will have you towed.

A lot depends on the character of the area. If it's high-crime and Wal-Mart is trying to police their grounds, they'll kick off transients. West of the Mississippi, where there are little problems and a lot of vacationers passing through, they're welcome. Or they want stoppers to register at Customer Service.

I tried to sleep in my van once in a Wal-Mart near San Diego. I was lucky to wake up before the tow truck actually got the chains on - the rule is, once it's hooked it is going with the truck, even if the owner is on the scene.

So...proceed with caution.
JPT...You might have noticed....I live in the East...it's allowed. We've travelled widely, and only once did a security guard stop us... as soon as I drove on the lot. He said "you can't park here, but if you pull over to that other lot, its fine there."

I think you will find that most allow it, and when they don't, they'll let you know. Why they would tow you without a warning is beyond me...I don't think they go out of their way to make enemies.... its not good for business.

We once stayed overnight in West Memphis, AR.... :eek: I'm guessing you'd call that a high crime area! No problem...the security guards patrolled all night...I slept like a baby.

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
First let me say that I might be one to do the same thing as you did. However, To LT's point, if you told the employee that you filled up your m/c and buy food and drink there, and would like a free shower - then it is their decision to grant or deny.

Using your reasoning; I could dress up in a armored car guards uniform, walk into the bank vault, take a bag of money and leave - saying later, hey I didn't lie to anyone and they let me in and let me leave with the money so I didn't do anything wrong.

I understand that your responses to LT are self-defense mechanisms to rebuff any thoughts of impropriety on your part - but the theory in your response lacks the first word you attribute to Abraham Lincoln in your profile "Character".

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
Then allow me to say, that those 100+ people on this forum that have actually met me, in person.....will all tell you that I am quite a "character". Maybe not all 100+ like me.....the majority of them got along fine with me...but all of them would tell you I am quite a Character. :D

The biggest difference is that "this" character has the education and intellect to spell, and to use the correct words in a post. And...I am not blinded by the guilt-ridden restrictions brain washed into me by some religious cult. :cool:

Additionally, how do any of you know whether or not the employee behind the counter at the truck stops I have showered at....could see if I pulled up in a truck...or if they SAW that I was on a motorcycle ? :dontknow:

I did state in my very first post on this thread, that I park very close to the entrance doors, so it is conceivable that the employee did actually SEE me get off my motorcycle.

I would say...if any of YOU do not want to do this...then don't do it. It is THAT simple. But don't cast doubt on the character and integrity of others here....simply because YOU would not do it.

Lastly, your analogy of dressing up in a "armored guard uniform", and stealing bags of money from the bank...that is asinine...and...you know it. :shocked:
The Bible clearly states:

Romans 2:5-8 Because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who will render to every man according to his deeds: to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation.

·
Registered
762 Posts
JPT...You might have noticed....I live in the East...it's allowed. We've travelled widely, and only once did a security guard stop us... as soon as I drove on the lot. He said "you can't park here, but if you pull over to that other lot, its fine there."

I think you will find that most allow it, and when they don't, they'll let you know. Why they would tow you without a warning is beyond me...I don't think they go out of their way to make enemies.... its not good for business.

We once stayed overnight in West Memphis, AR.... :eek: I'm guessing you'd call that a high crime area! No problem...the security guards patrolled all night...I slept like a baby.
It may have been the era. I was braced by a tow truck in San Diego, 1992.

I left the East in 2008; and I know that the Wal-Marts in the Cleveland area were aggressive in policing their parking lots. The inner-ring neighborhoods had a LOT of street crime - drug sales, hookers, the like - so if you weren't there to shop you'd be either asked to leave or arrested.

What it was like in the Deep South I have no idea. I know that the Wal-Marts in Buffalo were even more strict than Cleveland - the one closest to me sat on the edge of the 'hood and had lots of those problems.

Here, in my Montana town, the Wal-Mart positively welcomes RV passers-through.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There is something of "level" or "degree." Slight delusion to obtain a shower, and this after buying $2.25 Cokes or $1.79 waters, and $3.50 hamburgers...is hardly on the level with stealing the day's bank drop.

I wouldn't do it myself, only because too often they ask what the pump number was and what company you drive for. I don't like to be made out to be a liar, so I take a simple preventative - I avoid lying except in extreme cases.

Other people are blessed with charm and engaging personalities - I have neither. So they can pull off what I cannot. That's life.

I don't think petty deception like that is anything to feel guilty over - after all, they're not feeling guilty about selling fifty-cents-worth of hamburger for $3.50, after it's been under the hot lights for five hours...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts