TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking of another group ride in the Sierras, once again likely hosted out of my place. Have done this in the past. Folks can camp here over a weekend with riding options Saturday and Sunday. This time perhaps a longer ride right from the house rather than trailering TWs closer to a destination.
Hundred twenty plus miles of mixed scenic dirt and pavement for a Sub-Alpine Lake Sampler means a Roto-Pac or two would need to be passed around to get everyone home. ~35 mile relaxed cruising gets to jeep roads to following bunch of lakes, plus other lakes.
Fishermen could leave early and be picked up by the group, or left behind to try some sunset casting....or pack your camp gear and overnight at any of the many primitive campsites in the videos from the bike., or camp with a rig, canoe and female companionship at any of the lakes and we'll try to find you:rolleyes:....very flexible..
Any interest? Earliest could be end of June , perhaps a little later,

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if it is the first weekend in July (2&3) I may just be able to do it. I am off work on June 29th.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Jeeze I really wish I lived closer :(

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might have to bring your own beers, bears and babes.;)

Would love to offer a group camp at one of the lakes but securing a primitive site and communicating it's location to everyone is problematic.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Fred, What camera are you using?

Jeeze your lakes have mountains around them like decorations! I don't have that :(

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It looks like I am good to go if it is that first weekend in July.
Not looking for any bears, the babe is on her own (she might go with a friend to Oregon) and I will stock up on beer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sierras, huh?

Well, if it's BABES you want...just roll down I-80 on the Nevada side, and into Storey County. I understand the Mustang Ranch is closed; but there were others in the same general area.

It's the oldest profession in the world - and the most enduring.

The ride into Reno should be easy - just set your TW on N; leave it idling to lube the gearbox...and let it roll down the hill. Now, going back UP will be problematic...you'll be passed by slow-climbing semis, and see a lot of extended middle fingers from incredulous cage drivers...but, to travel by TW is to love adventure.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
I am interested in this depending on the date. In the near future, the weekend of July 2-4 is out for me as we have other plans. Will monitor this thread.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
july 9-10?

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I) Camera: Contour 2+ set @ 30 f.p.s. and 720i resolution

II) Dates: I was thinking beginning of Independence day weekend, July 1,2,3 to possibly accommodate Eckhart from B.C. Folks can help celebrate my 60th. However holidays means it can be crowded on highways and in the back-country. Riding next weekend of 9th and 10th ( can arrive evening of friday the 8th) makes a lot of sense too as we could get Joeband to come. He is an excellent photographer. Plus if Mr. and Mrs. Admiral could come then we could really have a party.:p

III) Camp: As Twilight pointed out occupying a camp in advance works. I did this before when several Nor-Cal Nutjobs joined me for the HWY4 camp-n-ride. I arrived on a Thursday to secure one of several sites on a well identified dead-end road so the gang could find me. Something similar could be done again, just logistically more challenging. There is one formal Forest service campground at the big Jackson Meadows Lake where reservations could be made but more than two vehicles requires a Group Site. I dislike the rules, expense, congestion and noise of Campgrounds so usually avoid them. Besides my place can offer a shower, local gas station, a home-cooked breakfast or two as well as restaurants for a post-ride dinner.

P.S. - ignore my videos off-trail ramblings, this would be a relatively Easy Ride requiring no Advanced Skills, just a long day in the saddle w/ ~45 miles 5th gear cruising asphalt, ~ 40 miles 4th,5th gear gravel forest service roads, and ~25 to 35 miles rock strewn primitive 1st, 2nd & 3rd. gear shenanigans. Depending on the pace we can stop and visit four to ten mountain lakes. No food, gas or phone service however there are a few hell-pads for Med-Evacs. Crystal clear mountain lakes, most have small dams and might still be close to full pool in early July. Videos were from last September and water levels were still fairly high.

·
Registered
367 Posts
P.S. - ignore my videos off-trail ramblings, this would be a relatively Easy Ride requiring no Advanced Skills, just a long day in the saddle w/ ~45 miles 5th gear cruising asphalt, ~ 40 miles 4th,5th gear gravel forest service roads, and ~25 to 35 miles rock strewn primitive 1st, .
Well if that's the case, maybe The Admiral will allow me to come too!!!!! You all know he really has no say right?!?!

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Lori, if you could come it would be icing on the cake.
We need you to keep Kris properly managed anyways.
You two could have our guest room should you not wish to haul the cab-over all the way.
Good practice riding opportunities abound.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts