TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Spent time in that firetower back in the 70s .seems there was this female fire watch gal that needed fire service . Hard to see smoke at night . but that's another story

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Allegedly this was a Southern Pacific Rail Road observation, signal hut. From the turret one can see up and down RR tracks for many miles and can detect avalanches, track and trestle bridge problems and post a warning signal light to train engineers before days of radio. All abandoned now, just fresh graffiti from a prior visitor the morning we visited. It looks like a very romantic place for a sunset, full moon or meteor shower. Any excuse to kiss a pretty girl, right guys?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Very pretty picture.

Neat history about the rail road connection to that rock hut.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
The pretty picture is of Upper Lola Montez Lake,a truly pretty lake poised on edge of major precipice, view awesome in opposite direction also. Lola Montez was a famous operatic singer who traveled the gold camps of the sierras during Gold Rush entertaining with her angelic voice. Unlike the Dance Hall girls and camp followers Lola Montez was symbolic of virtuous feminine qualities for the lonely miners who toiled hard far from home and family. She brought european old world charm and culture to otherwise wild west.

·
Registered
229 Posts
CRAP . Cant a guy get away with anything .
Ok , now keep this secret as I would not want anyone but you guys to know this . I spent the night with my wife in the tower which I had thought was a fire tower for all these years. As it was getting late and we had the camping gear in the jeep with , Still remember the night in the sleeping bag though. : Spent the night there several times through the years . Eat breakfast at Robbs resort .

Allegedly this was a Southern Pacific Rail Road observation, signal hut. From the turret one can see up and down RR tracks for many miles and can detect avalanches, track and trestle bridge problems and post a warning signal light to train engineers before days of radio. All abandoned now, just fresh graffiti from a prior visitor the morning we visited. It looks like a very romantic place for a sunset, full moon or meteor shower. Any excuse to kiss a pretty girl, right guys?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts