·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Lookydere, an AGTW!

TW and AG parts liberally attached to new underpinnings, some fuel capacity (but unless it's EFI you'll never get the gas outta that tank). Maybe room for a real battery. Pretty much everything that a lot of us are doing. Looks like it even has a yeller crutch jack (optional for only $300 US
). BMW may want their exhaust back when the show's over (maybe it was Friday?). But other than that a step in the right direction.

I predict they'll market it exclusively in Diego Garcia for 2 years, then discontinue it due to weak sales volume.

The only pic I can find is the standard Yamaha press release pic so far.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think it's cool... Can't ever keep my hands off factory stuff though so it would be all modded out and might as well start with the cheap TW already in possession

The front fender, rack, seat, and the fact that the exhaust seems to hang off the side about a mile don't really do anything for me though. and yea, how you gonna get the gas out of the bottom ears of that tank? put your lips on the cap and suck real hard??

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Really ticks me off that we don't get farm bikes here. I think one would be on the bumper of every motorhome in America, filling the niche once filled by CT Hondas and the like and providing the sales volume to support some redevelopment of the breed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and yea, how you gonna get the gas out of the bottom ears of that tank? put your lips on the cap and suck real hard??

Why wouldn't they just use a fuel pump? I own a few bikes with carbs and electric fuel pumps. It's not that uncommon.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It's a concept bike. Sometimes they just put them out there to test the waters. Sometimes they're thoroughly scienced-out pre-production vesrsions, sometimes they just throw them together in answer to the competition's similar concepts at the last minute without thinking them through and sometimes they're just styling exercises with no viable form of propulsion.

Generally speaking it takes years for any of the inovations to reach production models.

I have no idea what the worldwide sales volume of this segment represents, but I think this one may actually be a real attempt to regain their status in the farm/ utility bike segment. My understanding is that their AG200 is a bit of a flop in that segment vs. the Honda and Suzuki offerings. Something like this might trump the others. Note the right-side, adjustable kickstand.

Since they seem so attached to the silly notion that we Americans won't buy such critters I'd be tickled if they'd just apply their existing parts bin stuff to the TW and give us something to justify the annual price increase.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's unlikely to be cheap if it goes into production. Farmers are price sensitive and not big followers of fashion. The AG comes with the same engine as the TW and is not sold much since it and the TW costs $850 more than the Honda Bushlander which comes with an O-ring chain, while the AG's answer is a chain housing which looks nerdy. Farmers who like Yamaha buy the XT250. The TW was big here before the four wheel quads hit the market. So this hybrid of TW and XT could be hit if it is competetivly priced but with all the new dies and jigs to make it, I doubt this will be the case and it will find the weekend warrior market if it goes into production. I still want one

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
250cc, EFI and 6-speed trans (hopefully), twin tubes under the crankcase, hopefully enough alternator to pull all the lighting (not a problem if HID and LEDs used throughout), looks like of-the-shelf TW suspension and such, other than the rear disc. Could be on to something.

Exhaust location is low enough to clear panniers, out enough to clear the suspension. It looks vulnerable in a fall. The seat looks wider and shorter than a TW, so it's an extended solo seat with a shape and size suitable for changing position on a long ride. I'm okay with that. Case gaurds and a better skid plate would be nice.

Pretty much what I have planned for Tdub. If it comes to the U. S. of A., I'll buy one. I see a cult developing around such a bike, the only small-bore adventure bike in America. I think it will be popular with older and smaller riders who would like to do some adventuring but are turned off by the current crop of 2-wheeled tanks sold for the purpose.

Yamaha needs to hire me to do the TAT, ALCAN, and Continental divide routes with video documentation via helicopter and pre-staged 4x4s. That would be a full season of televised real-life Americana that would provide the "lifestyle" example to push sales to record heights, and ruin every decent adventure road in America due to overcrowding.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

I would be camping out for one of those! I really wish we could get something like that here in the states. I dont see a single thing on it that I would change!

I really want one of those front fenders in black for my TW!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Unfortunately you've pretty much nailed the process we need to take to reverse-engineer the marketing which is responsible for our being stuck with only "boy racer" versions of otherwise practical and useful motorcycles.

I'll take a Swiss army knife over a stilletto, any day. When the hell did we fall prey to the notion that even a road-legal dualsport is something that requires a pickup back at camp filled with gas cans and bike-propper-uppers?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Oddly enough a marketing guy from Yamaha, North America has contacted me wanting to buy my XT600.

I think I'll hold the deal for ransom while I give him an earfull.

Hyosong or Zongshen could throw one of these together in a week. They might wanna get on it.

Also in the "oddly enough" category, I've called them seeking info on the Shinji Kazama expeditions to the North and South poles. "Oddly enough" they had never heard of him, and seemed really interested in filling that knowlege void. They only know what customers are vocal enough to tell them, so maybe our input counts after all. I found them pretty attentive.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Trivial point, but I'm curious about the "Ryoku" moniker.

Anyone familiar enough with the culture to know if it refers to the island, an anime character or how the term is associated with "toughness"?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts