TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate having to write this post because the folks at Pro Cycle seem like very nice guys, but I feel it's best to do so for the community. I purchased their Quisan TW Signal Minder (advertised to give TW hazard and running lights, as well as self-cancelling signals) last month and brought it to my electrical contractor Mobile West here in Portland for a professional installation. Mobile West has been in business for 25 years and they've done thousands of dollars of work for me on my truck camper, El Camino, and Honda Element. They spent the better part of 2 days and $150 in parts trying to make the Signal Minder work on the TW. Once the job commenced we were both assured by Pro Cycle that the Signal Minder would indeed work. But by the end of two days it turns out that the unit is utterly incompatible with our TW one-sided mechanical turn signal. Also, as it turns out, Pro Cycle admitted to having NEVER installed one of these on a TW. This is a complete failing of Pro Cycle's R & D.

Mobile West charged me a discounted $480 for the technician's waste of time for 2 days, and I asked Pro Cycle to at least give me some kind of discount or credit on a future parts purchase. They refunded my money, but refuse to give me any concession for their utter R&D failure to test a marketed part for our TW. In their latest correspondence they are now insisting that other people successfully installed the Signal Minder on a TW, but refuse to give me any details about this after several inquiries. Looks like WE are expected to be THEIR R&D. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but just wanted the community to be aware of these potentialities.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's frustrating Westie, it's always a roll of the dice being the first person to try a part out on anything. I know I've had my fair share of incidents similar to this.

Silver lining, anyone who might be reading this won't end up in the same rough spot as you. Sorry to hear this happened, brother.
Thanks for the kind reply Blake! I was actually thinking of you when typing this post, saying to myself I should be grateful for not going through the project fail you just did. I can't imagine how much $$ you sank and the frustration you had with that 250 swap. P

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have read of this product in their website quite some time ago and, at that time, developed some interest in it. Primarily so I'd have self -canceling turn signals. I hate it when I forget to turn the turn signals off. Anyway, it is too bad they either can't or won't provide and actual satisfied user/purchaser of that component from their company. At least one that, could have provided a review and stated good or bad. I haven't been on their site in a while and many, many sites provide Reviews on products they sell, good or bad. I'm assuming that, there's no reviews of this particular product, as of yet. Sorry you've had to deal with this kind of a situation when, it should have been a slam-dunk.
Scott

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear you had a rough ride

Has anyone pointed out this thread to them to invite a reply ?
Thanks Purple for the nice reply. I know this post will be controversial to some, so hoping it's just taken as a warning, not a rant. I've corresponded with Pro Cycle several times, and they're stopped answering me. My shop called them as well. It's still listed as a TW application on their site too! P

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read of this product in their website quite some time ago and, at that time, developed some interest in it. Primarily so I'd have self -canceling turn signals. I hate it when I forget to turn the turn signals off. Anyway, it is too bad they either can't or won't provide and actual satisfied user/purchaser of that component from their company. I haven't been on their site in a while and many, many sites provide Reviews on products they sell, good or bad. I'm assuming that, there's no reviews of this particular product, as of yet. Sorry you've had to deal with this kind of a situation when, it should have beena slam-dunk.
Scott
Thanks Fire!! P

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny, if it were me in this spot, I'd ask you if I could sue the rascals in my local Small Claims Court. Might be fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Thanks Ron! I am certainly considering filing in Springfield Muni Court. What a shame if it comes to that. I hope you and Patty are well, and that you guys have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Dinner at your beautiful home would look like a Hallmark Card! P

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks Ron! I am certainly considering filing in Springfield Muni Court. What a shame if it comes to that. I hope you and Patty are well, and that you guys have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Dinner at your beautiful home would look like a Hallmark Card! P
Happy Turkey, Patrick (notice the comma). We miss you.

I can think of nothing more fun for a person practicing your profession, than to seek a little justifiable justice in a way that may make a difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
We could ban them from the forum!! HA HA HA HA

• Love
Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Thanks for the kind reply Blake! I was actually thinking of you when typing this post, saying to myself I should be grateful for not going through the project fail you just did. I can't imagine how much $$ you sank and the frustration you had with that 250 swap. P
Yea, I think for me it was the letdown that the mechanic acted like he was excited about the project like me, told me he had started and then apparently was not excited or interested in this project. I got a good bit in parts that I know I'm not going to be able to recoup completely, so I'm just gonna give the guy the bike is going to a killer deal on them all (or whatever he wants to grab).

I usually enjoy giving procycle my hard earned money, but in this case I'd hope they put a bold notice for this product that (at a minimum) it's not compatible with the TW electrical system.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
Way too extreme Tommy; but I’m very grateful for the support! P
They know me and I am tempted to call them and tell them it is a poor business decision not to make it right and that over the long run it will cost them way way more in sales.

·
Registered
76 Posts
im in salem, and travel from springfield and portland all the time, if need be, i could buy one and have a failed install too!.. that may help with the failed install and small claims issue. As a liscensed electrician, i could even waste some resources installing the product.

Seperate note, the missus and i are planning on riding out of marcola this Saturday and either going to shotgun creek or running upfs rd 11 from sweet home to Detroit.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Personalty i have a real hard time condemning Pro Cycle for this. They did not build this product, Kisan Electronics did. I would also bet the farm that Pro Cycle did not come up with the application list for this, Kisan Electronics did.

Bottom line, its not Pro Cycle's job as a reseller of a product to test it on a particular application. That is up to the manufacturer of the product.

I equate this to things i have experienced in the past with auto parts and i have seen it more times than i can count. Like when i bought a set of Moog ball joints from Napa for my old truck. They did not fit, not even close. Moog says that part number does fit my application yet it was not the correct fit for my truck. Its not Napa's fault that Moog supplied bad info, its Moog's. Its not up to Napa to make sure the part actually fits a 06 Silverado 1500 4wd, they have to trust what the manufacturer of the part tells them. This signal minder is the same type of thing.

edit: I also want to add that Pro Cycle did exactly the right thing in refunding the OP's money. That is all they can do. A lot of times electronic devices are non returnable since its not hard to damage one with a bad install but they stepped up and did the right thing. Anything beyond that is out of their control. Was the actual manufacturer even contacted to get any support or advice?

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
True (y)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts