TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends came by this weekend and we had a single track themed trail ride. Dale ( Boarder255) was craving some single tracks so decided to give him the big tour with lots of varied terrain. Thought I'ld share some of the different flavors we enjoyed today on what seemed like 20 miles of single track. Other Forum Members Adam-in-Nevada and evan came along to help kick up the dust and help me extricate Betty Boop from sagebrush and off hi-centered boulders.. Video should be 720i

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We started out around 9:30 after bacon-n-egg breakfast and only did a total of about 35 miles. Yet didn't get back 'till about 5 p.m. Guess we took a few breaks and din't ride all that fast except for the 12 or so "road" miles that completed the loop.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
fewer rocks, but another classic fred ride!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Looking at the video several times, difficulti-wise, that looks to be about the same as The Challenge Loop that I used to go on in Hollister though The Loop was only about half as long as your trail. And I am willing to bet you have many more trails to go on than just this one. Awesome!!!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went on perhaps a dozen trail segments as part of a much larger riding maze spilling over both sides of the mountain. Like to transit the open sage terrain in the morning to get to the cooler forested areas on the far side.
Indeed there were some rocky challenges that didn't get "filmed". The best was when while summiting a really nasty boulder strewn climb Mike's new Duro got enough traction to generate a really massive wheelie and one-wheel dogleg turn in order to stay on trail. Mighty impressive! I had failed that climb just before and instead chewed my way through sagebrush making a by-pass. Another unfilmed moment was when a narrow chute had Betty repeatedly lofting her front tire only to slam down on a sharp boulder leaving her hi-centered. Left some serious Ricochet aluminum on that big rock!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great video Fred. I ride exclusively off-road on the west coast of Michigan's Lower Peninsula - no rocks here, just sand! Those boulder fields looked amazing! Single tracking here means dealing with a lot of tree roots, which can be very slippery when wet. Nice range of terrain in the video too.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I bet those Michigan woods are a lot tighter and chock full of slippery roots. The sort of place you trim you handlebars shorter to fit between the trees?

Now I especially liked the expanses of wildflowers we saw like the field of lupines in the opening scene. Other places had mix of flowers of varying hues...yellow, white, pink, blue. An El Nino year meant that late season off and on rain and snow up to today allowed not only lush tall plant growth up to the edge of trails but also a lot of erosion and deep ruts caused by narrow tired bikes like Dale's 4.10 tired XT225. Mike and my 8 inch Duros had to straddle many a narrow trench.:D

Unfortunately Adam and I led Mike down a few paths where his pannier equipped TW was just too wide for the available gap between rocks. Believe we all did a little scrapping and our skid plates came home with souvenir dings and gouges from another one of Phredz Easy Trails.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly enough the only other bikes we saw were a group of three KTMs and a solitary Honda maintaing the seemingly regional average of three Austrian KTMs for every one Japanese off-road bike. Local folks love the KTMs despite their rather demanding service requirements. I would love a Beta or KTM but balk at notion that many items have a service life of ten to twenty hours.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I suppose if ridden hard sending 50 hp to the rear wheel from a busy 11,000 rpm mill it is understandable that a churning rear tire lasts only 400 or so miles. Race oriented bike design also often means if the part lasts a rather long time it is should be re-made lighter.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
I remember some of those trails. One thing I like about them as they are not the mountain goat exposure trails where one puff of wind will send you screaming to your death many thousand feet below. Yeah, that's what I like about those trails. :p

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So very happy to hear that. 3146c10552c6f16368db087c377c1e2b-2.gif

And a special thanks to Adam's and Mike's special gals who let them cancel previous plans so that their men could come play in the dirt.
And a round-a-bout thanks to TW-Brian whose Duro ATV tire enabled Mike to make one of the better TW wheelies I can recall as he launched off the top of final boulder on short rutted rocky hill climb. He pivoted and came down almost facing the right direction as the trail had doglegged to the right beneath Mike as he unicycled.
Brian, Mike seems to be putting your tire to good use.:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great ride indeed!! Not as rocky as the rubicon or slick rock trail, but the XT was happier without the abuse to the suspension. I always find that videos don't nearly bring justice to how challenging terrain is. But great memories and fun riding with you fellas. Too bad you didn't get any of the "race" between Adan's TW and the XT. 25cc's go a long way!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I remember some of those trails. One thing I like about them as they are not the mountain goat exposure trails where one puff of wind will send you screaming to your death many thousand feet below. Yeah, that's what I like about those trails. :p

Check out that cliffside single track video by Everride (I think that's his name) on YouTube.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It would be great to ride with you guys some time. Maybe one of these days I'll get a chance to join in a Rubicon Trail or Moab ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Sounds like a lot of 1st and 2nd gear riding? What was everyone's setup. Gearing/tires? Looked like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stock set-up works fine on most of these moderate trails. On a few really nasty rutted, steep rocky sections nothing works short of turning around:eek:
We had everything from stock to ATV tires with 13/55 sprockets and a fairly stock XT225.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts