TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some quick glimpses of extensive single track network I camped in a few weeks ago. Place seems well suited to extend the riding season through the winter months when Sierras get snowbound.
Located on the far side of a mountain range holding a popular but worn out riding area called Moon Rocks this area receives but a fraction of the visitors, especially once temperatures drop below freezing.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oddly enough Youtube truncated my upload deleting final 3/4 minute of video & soundtrack ...nothing too exciting, just a somewhat rare clip of me dumping the bike.:cool:

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've ridden Moon Rocks on several occasions. In winter it can be very cold! My hands hurt so bad, I swear they felt like someone ran over them with a car tire. I never knew such pain in my hands! I've skied in negative temps, but for some reason didn't glove up enough that day riding. I learned that day to always wear a glove liner.
I also question your sanity Fred. That area is a huge area. I saw your headlight beam near the end of the ride. What if you broke down or were injured? I doubt a man could survive a winter night in the desert. Please be careful riding alone.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures or it didn’t happen, right?
I offer one dumped TW for your viewing pleasure.

While one can range truly far afield out there I try to always stay within a ten mile crawl back to camp or major road should something go amiss with me or bike. Like anytime anyone throws a leg over a motorcycle and takes off one is taking ones life into ones own hands. Skill, judgement and luck usually determine the outcome. I did see a 6-bike group of motocross based machines out there twice...saw several of them crash as possibly had more bike and speed than riding skill.

·
Registered
1988 Yamaha TW200
27 Posts
Wow that was super cool to watch thanks! Awesome and secluded scenery! I automatically had exactly the same worry Ski Pro 3 did about riding alone wayyy out there but thanks for clarifying how close you are to base. Thanks again super exciting stuff!

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
a somewhat rare clip of me dumping the bike.
Fred - you are the only person I have ever seen "stepping off" a TW prior to it going tits up .....

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest I used to range further afield from camp but still usually within a reasonable hike to somewhere I could get cell service or assistance if need be...on trips like this one I could be 45 miles away but still near a traveled corridor. It is California after all, we like to pretend we are remote but are not really.:cool:

Where the Waterfalls Have Wildflowers

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Some quick glimpses of extensive single track network I camped in a few weeks ago. Place seems well suited to extend the riding season through the winter months when Sierras get snowbound.
Located on the far side of a mountain range holding a popular but worn out riding area called Moon Rocks this area receives but a fraction of the visitors, especially once temperatures drop below freezing.
Good riding area and pretty with the snow. Maybe not as pretty when you have to concentrate more with the snowy trails. Riding in the sagebrush and hills in the Moon Rocks area looks very similar to the area we sometimes ride near the Snake River...snow and all! :)
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It must be getting cold for George ( Bananachunks) tonight down moto-camping in a tent next to these Trona Pinnacles off the back of his Honda CB500. He even eating turkey. That is an impressive Thanksgiving ride.

I at least have an insulated van to hide out in and can cook a little more sophisticated than Mountain House at the end of a day in the saddle..
We don't see much of Bananachunks here anymore since he left the TW fold. He will mysteriously show up for Group Rides like the Lone Ranger though. NIce guy.
He should post here more often to show thsat there is indeed life after a TW.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
I follow his Facebook posts. It seems like he rides and camps almost every weekend. Really nice guy.

Reactions: Smoke

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Nice video. It looks like a really fun place to ride. Great sound track too😎

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy Mike!
Sorry we never got to ride the Dogskins together with DIRTLUVR, you two would have enjoyed it.
Remember these fine times together in the Sweetwaters?
Think you must have taken this picture since your chair is empty & you are only one not in frame.
Miss hanging out with all you good people.
Left to right: Me, Donzo, Adam-in-Nevada, DIRTLUVR, Admiral, Evan, Rider21, Boarder255 & Bananachunks

·
Registered
2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k)
475 Posts
What a neat spot, Fred! There are nearly endless amounts of single tracks out there, that are surprisingly relatively "untouched" by NW NV standards. I'm very happy that we finally rode that together a little under a year ago - who would have thought I could forget about this spot and hold off for 6 years without sharing! This area proved as one of my early "training grounds" when I was getting to know TW, back in 08' - 09'. I enjoyed riding up old Virginia street, through lemmon valley and finally reaching the back of Antelope valley - then all the way back to the dogskins area. There's enough dirt that one can nearly avoid the pavement from UNR all the way out there!

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I too had forgotten about the Moon Rocks area after getting hurt there long ago.
Thanks for rekindling an ever growing interest Adam.
Sorry we didn't try more of the higher single tracks contouring through the snow together last winter. Together we could have dealt with any issues when pushing off into the Ugg-known.
Thanks for introducing the better more remote areas miles from the boring whoop-de-doos.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pictures or it didn’t happen, right?
I offer one dumped TW for your viewing pleasure. View attachment 209799

While one can range truly far afield out there I try to always stay within a ten mile crawl back to camp or major road should something go amiss with me or bike. Like anytime anyone throws a leg over a motorcycle and takes off one is taking ones life into ones own hands. Skill, judgement and luck usually determine the outcome. I did see a 6-bike group of motocross based machines out there twice...saw several of them crash as possibly had more bike and speed than riding skill.
What made the bike go down on this one Fred? I'm trying to avoid unforeseen crashes, and your pic seems to show a pretty decent line. So, what happened? Thanks man. P

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I was in boot camp I'ld say " No excuse ,Sir!" but you've given me chance to lay a little soft soap on you.

I entered one more of dozens of hi-banking silliness in a miles long arroyo not quite high enough. So midway I shut down throttle figuring I'ld drop down into the bottom and get a better shot t the next hi-bank corner.
This early apex resulted in rear tire collapsing bank a bit with a subsequent instinctive steering correction to maintain balance which the put me even more to the right of my intended line and into the opposite bank and down I went at a very low playful speed. If I had been charging hard I would have had plenty of momentum to stay high throughout the corner
No excuses.
Avoidance advice? More throttle!
Hitting any and all obstacles with enough momentum and commitment to carry one through usually works.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I was in boot camp I'ld say " No excuse ,Sir!" but you've given me chance to lay a little soft soap on you.
View attachment 209967

I entered one more of dozens of hi-banking silliness in a miles long arroyo not quite high enough. So midway I shut down throttle figuring I'ld drop down into the bottom and get a better shot t the next hi-bank corner.
This early apex resulted in rear tire collapsing bank a bit with a subsequent instinctive steering correction to maintain balance which the put me even more to the right of my intended line and into the opposite bank and down I went at a very low playful speed. If I had been charging hard I would have had plenty of momentum to stay high throughout the corner
No excuses.
Avoidance advice? More throttle!
Hitting any and all obstacles with enough momentum and commitment to carry one through usually works.
Yeah, this whole momentum thing scares me a bit, but I know I have to learn it. I really just like lumping along at 10-15 mph and taking in the views and fresh air. I know that if I ride enough, it will be second nature (muscle memory) and then I can relax based on my skills. Several people here like Admiral post videos of he and his riding partner laughing and generally having a ball all day, not at all worried about crashing (even if they do). That's my goal. P

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The soft injury reducing sand had me riding fairly casually, if it had been rocky I would instinctively have been more focused. As is I laughed a bit at my fumble, pushed bike off of my leg , took a "So there I was" picture then resumed my 10 mph play with a bit more attention to details like staying upright. It was my only "Gosh Darn" moment over 3 days .
With practice & experience comes more confidence and skills. Solution can be simply go riding more, making each ride a learning experience. Challenge yourself just a little bit more each time and you can climb up the learning curve fairly quickly. I've been climbing that curve on my TW for 17 years so I have a bit more of the acquired skills to go along with a bit of scar tissue.:cool:
Happy Trails!

Reactions: Willys714

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fred, last question. What is the entirety of personal safety equipment you use? Type of helmet, boots, gloves, etc.? Thanks man! P

1 - 20 of 24 Posts