TW200 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Everyday Equipment:
Skid Lid = BILT Dual Purpose helmet with face shield & drop down visor
Boots = Forma tall adventure boots in brown. Getting beat up after well over 100 off-road rides
Gloves = older Thor MX summer weight or Thor winter weight off-road gloves, both discontinued.

Occasional Equipment:
Hero Rider knee pads
Mesh armor jacket
Textile Jacket with some armor ( backplate removed)
Heavy lined leather bomber jacket
Neck gaitor
Compression waist belt

Just came back from another Dogskin camp looking for the fabled North West Passage to more unexplored regions.
Nice sunsets from camp:

Frickin' cold though once sun goes down, yet I never put on any coat over base layers. Ended up with just a fleece lined shirt/ jacket over a down vest day & night. Dawn was in upper teens and don't think it ever got above 50 in daytime. I have been known to put a down parka on over riding gear as well as snow pants.
Pretty much by myself , did see 3 bikers in distance Tuesday and I flushed this mule deer herd Thurdsay.

Lots of interesting new things to look at and then ride over the tops of.:cool:

Wonderful trails leading over the horizon everywhere I looked as I seeked the elusive NorthWest Passage.

I went to ask these three I saw in the distance if they knew the way but was greeted with but a stoney silence. Think they were moreminterested in the funny looking bird at their side.

So Betty Boop & I ranged far afield putting the new Shinko 241 to good use from narrow sandy arroyos to sub-alpine single tracks.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Everyday Equipment:
Skid Lid = BILT Dual Purpose helmet with face shield & drop down visor
Boots = Forma tall adventure boots in brown. Getting beat up after well over 100 off-road rides
Gloves = older Thor MX summer weight or Thor winter weight off-road gloves, both discontinued.

Occasional Equipment:
Hero Rider knee pads
Mesh armor jacket
Textile Jacket with some armor ( backplate removed)
Heavy lined leather bomber jacket
Neck gaitor
Compression waist belt

Just came back from another Dogskin camp looking for the fabled North West Passage to more unexplored regions.
Nice sunsets from camp:
View attachment 210042
Frickin' cold though once sun goes down, yet I never put on any coat over base layers. Ended up with just a fleece lined shirt/ jacket over a down vest day & night. Dawn was in upper teens and don't think it ever got above 50 in daytime. I have been known to put a down parka on over riding gear as well as snow pants.
Pretty much by myself , did see 3 bikers in distance Tuesday and I flushed this mule deer herd Thurdsay.
View attachment 210043

Lots of interesting new things to look at and then ride over the tops of.:cool:
View attachment 210044

Wonderful trails leading over the horizon everywhere I looked as I seeked the elusive NorthWest Passage.
View attachment 210045

I went to ask these three I saw in the distance if they knew the way but was greeted with but a stoney silence. Think they were moreminterested in the funny looking bird at their side.
View attachment 210046

So Betty Boop & I ranged far afield putting the new Shinko 241 to good use from narrow sandy arroyos to sub-alpine single tracks.
View attachment 210047

View attachment 210048
Wow. I know Adam moved but if he sees these pictures I'm betting he's regretting it somewhat. Of course, he has a great new riding area. If the weather was just a tad better and it wasn't the holiday season I'd be down there riding with you...instead, I'm wanting to. You are getting some great exploriation rides in.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
By "North West Passage" I am tongue-in-cheek referring to places where Adam & I either faced too much snow last winter or not enough daylight to visit, or interesting landforms I found on Google Earth beyond where have ridden already.

Thursday I was way up high, far away & hot on the trail of some of these satellite sourced granite outcrops deep in a canyon my minor canyon was descending into when things got icy, and trail pitched off steeply. Not the open mellow country of the proceeding photos. Slowing to re-consider the wisdom of a solo icy descent into the unknown I heard what I thought was my engine racing and about to grenade. "Oh No! Anywhere but here!" as engine noise became louder and raced even faster. SWOOSH! I was suddenly overflown 50 feet overhead by a little bird dog plane following my same line down the narrow canyon, almost in ground effect. Something small like a Cessna 170 was speed flying my canyon , flowing down the slope but throttling up as he aproached me having to pick up a bit of elevation to cut the corner ahead where my canyon dumped into the interesting canyon at a right angle. I had no idea how low he was coming up behind me but I first looked over my shoulder before looking up, he sounded right behind me. Wonder if pilot was as surprised as I to be sharing this tight descent. He winged over, cleared the mini-ridge between canyons, nosed over and continued his thrilling descent down the main canyon... I however abandoned my descent. :cool:
I couldn't help but think of Plumbstraight and his new KitFox Experimental

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k)
475 Posts
Wow. I know Adam moved but if he sees these pictures I'm betting he's regretting it somewhat. Of course, he has a great new riding area. If the weather was just a tad better and it wasn't the holiday season I'd be down there riding with you...instead, I'm wanting to. You are getting some great exploriation rides in.
hehe, no regrets by any means, Admiral. I grew up in the forest, and I've finally returned. Plus, I have my own land now :D

This area Fred shares has been one of my favorite go-to places for many years though. There sure is many miles of fun around the area though. It seemed on my solo-adventures, as well as with Fred, there were always new trails to be discovered. I'm happy Fred is continuing to explore it. I'll admit, my more recent riding with Fred has been slightly restricted to more known, closer areas to remain efficient so I can scurry back home to my wife. Our earlier years of riding allowed for a bit more freedom with extended rides into the uncharted territory. Alas, keeping my wife happy was more important than finding new places - so we found a balance of enjoying more frequented spots.

Fred, there's a trail that links the dogskin mtns. with Winnemucca Ranch road, up and over a steep ridge that I thought you were referring to as "NW passage" :) My memory seems to lead me to think it's closer to the moonrocks in the East, then where you and I were riding around and camping. If you're brave enough, it's easier found from Winnemucca Ranch road, taking one of only two canyons, that turn left off of Winnemucca ranch road. I'd highly recommend not braving it alone though, as I felt very ignorant that day that I found it by myself, as the trail is high and exposed and has more than one precarious spots - with zero room for turning around.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts