TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saturday's ride beyond Moon Rocks took us into some nice sandy foothills of the Dogskin Mountains.
Once we were a few miles beyond the main area the Land of Ten Thousand Whoop-De-Doos faded into less worn out and infinitely more entertaining single track riding up and down ridges, contouring side hills and twisty sand washes.
Many thanks to Adam-in-Nevada for convincing me everything wasn't worn out and that there were still nice trails leading off into the sunset if we just go for it. Plus Rider21 is a good man to hang around the campfire with and I can always learn from his riding skills...things like staying out of the bushes that can snagged both my shifter and side stand at the 3 minute mark.
Come along for a bit of the ride!
icon_thumbright.gif

·
Registered
494 Posts
Interesting place to stop for some Indian Tea(Ephedra) there Fred! That sand wash was awesome! It might be if we continue farther West we might find more trails sans whoops. Definitely a good day. Thanks for the video.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
My youngest son has been down to Moonrocks on his KX250F. He said it was fun and from your video, I'm guessing he ain't wrong.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I shall return to explore more sometime since my local Sierras are still ice-bound for some time. My friends, both new and old, are sure welcome to come along.
Even though outing began and ended with frigid conditions I feel fortunate to have 12 month riding opportunities...
Sun comes out, the snow melts, then the Betty Boop comes out.
profilepic4191_5.jpeg Betty.jpg

·
Registered
940 Posts

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
While tempted to try riding some lower, warmer networks in California's gold country next week I'm leaning instead towards returning for more of this Nevada desert camping:
I'll put up with the cold for big sky views and silly safe sandy sidehill trails that cut across the foothills at different levels. These clips were from a mile or so of but one trail, but lots of variety between the lowlands and the highlands makes for good skill building fun.

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Looks like a lot of the trails are fairly easy, which is good! :) Nice sunset at the end.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
While tempted to try riding some lower, warmer networks in California's gold country next week I'm leaning instead towards returning for more of this Nevada desert camping.
If you do change your mind and ride the gold country, just know the fall colors are still in force at levels below 5,000' and best at below 3,000'. I've been riding almost every day, loops from my home through the wine country as well as the old gold rush towns. Yesterday went to Fiddletown and had lunch along the Cosumnes River while watching the leaves helicopter down into the pools of water. No photos unfortunately, other than those in my mind. Tomorrow I'm going higher to scout out a Christmas tree on the El Dorado. Permit was $10. I'll come back with the Samurai and my wife to chop it down.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome SkiiPro.
Thanks for the invite.
Looking at current snow levels I had planned to camp/ride around Burlington Ridge ORV on HWY20 then cross Yuba and head up to Graniteville and head east sneaking into backside of Bowman Lake area since main access road is still washed out from 2017 Pineapple Express flooding. However more immediate riding opportunities and much less regulatory environment have caused me now favor Nevada again. California's draconian shut-down rules also suck the fun out of any trip over the Pacific crest. Since no one answers phone at # to call to see if ORV park is open or closed I wouldn't want to risk a citation. Likely most all Forest Service Rangers still have a "virtual presence" meaning likely at home with pay but not patrolling. Still there are the Federal Law Enforcement types about.
Now to see if I can swap the Shinko244 for a new 241. Just installed new O-ring chain replacing a fairly new one that got some frozen links from rust, debris or just being ridden hard and put away wet. Chain passed this quick test ride.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Burlington Ridge is also known as Chalk Bluff. Probably because it's on Chalk Bluff Rd. If you know where to look, you can find the old narrow gauge rail lines that lead down to the bottom and back up. Sorta East of the staging area and south of Hwy 20. It's great to ride in the wet weather, but turns into moon dust in the summer. I get really turned around in that area because the trails cross themselves so often.
I called their number at 530-478-6253. Then dial the extension while the recording is playing; 243. The message says the riding area is open but that to watch for downed trees and crews in the area clearing the downed trees.
Here's a link to the map;
Burlington OHV Motorcycle trail system
Best staging is where the map is marked, "Chalk Bluff"

An FYI; this is strictly 2 wheel riding area. No quads or other 4 wheeled travel.

Have fun if you go!

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With allegedly some 50 miles of trails like this and some secluded campsites the area is one my go-to places for what is often the first or last campfire of the season.
Mix in a little light snow riding on the 5000 ft ridges along with a warm up along sunny banks of Yuba River around 3,000 ft and I can find enough variety for fun.
This area hosts a network of old flumes & ditches that collected surface water for the massive hydraulic mining downstream. Hydraulic mining was banned around 1887(?) so much of the minor water works and the trails that serviced them fell into dis-use. We bikers now repurpose them and put to good use.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts