TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Day 3: We move from my back yard 100 miles south to the Sweetwater Mountain Range, unload and resume the festival of singletrackery with these pair of scenic gems.
I find out ejfranz is mortal after all with a healthy respect for the "exposure" crossing steep slopes. Granted if any of us rode off some of those edges we humans could climb back up but the bike might have to take up residence down the canyon.:p

7 or 8 miles of single track with a few more miles of two track linking them, all about 10 miles or so from camp made for a short but fun 35 mile day.

To quote Adam-in-Nevada's Freudian slip: "A lot of first and second fear". He, Boarder255 & I ran these reverse a month prior and it was not as easy.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
You really should try to make it Dave.

So I got the right answer huh?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner? Gee I didn't even get a "like" from you... he he he he ;)

Admirable ride bro, for sure!! You Da Man!!

Dan and Sue, where are you? :)

Yes Tommy, you got it!

I really look forward to a group ride one of these days. BTW, I've been on tech boards for a number of years, I must admit this is a great, helpful, caring crowd. Thanks to all for your contributions and sharing adventures, good stuff!

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Day 3: We move from my back yard 100 miles south to the Sweetwater Mountain Range, unload and resume the festival of singletrackery with these pair of scenic gems.
I find out ejfranz is mortal after all with a healthy respect for the "exposure" crossing steep slopes. Granted if any of us rode off some of those edges we humans could climb back up but the bike might have to take up residence down the canyon.:p

7 or 8 miles of single track with a few more miles of two track linking them, all about 10 miles or so from camp made for a short but fun 35 mile day.

To quote Adam-in-Nevada's Freudian slip: "A lot of first and second fear". He, Boarder255 & I ran these reverse a month prior and it was not as easy.
I was more worried about where you didn't end up taking us. Something you mentioned about going over a 3-4 foot ledge, one-way, maybe not making it back up. I was well within my comfort zone on these trails 'sept a bit of nervousness right off the bat on the side-hill exposure. I'm just glad I wasn't the only side-hill exposure nervous rider.

When I viewed my video of your oopsie, I wasn't close enough and didn't capture the actual wipe-out. For me, seeing what "had" happened was good enough to keep me focused. As Ron in Boise said a few times "you need to keep at least one eye on the trail, and in some cases, both eyes". Yup, this was a double eye trail. :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Those trails look very nice with "2 eyes". :)

Tommy, I'm not much of a "liker", although I did give you a chicken dinner like! The whole like thing reminds me of FB, which is a place I try to avoid. Anyway, thanks for recognizing!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The 3 to 4 foot one-way ledge occurs further downstream in the main Rock Creek canyon where trail crosses a stream-cut. We turned upstream instead once we joined the main canyon. Where I pointed out "The easy way out" and Eckhart couldn't make it up the hill is where Donzo, Adam and I turned around on last October's Fall Color Ride. We had gotten there via another side canyon singletrack which in hindsight we should have diverted to and enjoyed. Admiral still could have made it back in time to shower, change, eat, un-hook the truck and drive back to Reno Airport to pick up Mrs.Admiral before falling asleep at the wheel on the 100 mile drive back. There is a lot of interconnectivity in them thar hills.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Day 4: After 3 years I finally make it to the Bufort mine camp, a point on a map that had intrigued me for years due to the challenge it would make to get there on a TW. Admiral, ejfranz & I make it look easy as our bikes ran buttery smooth without the blubbering and un-avaialable power one would expect above 11,000 ft. ( At least mine did. I accelerated up into the TTR's 6th gear briefly for the final push from 11,200 to 11,600 ft in the land they call "Mars With Wildflowers") Stellar 360 degree views and good weather made it a memorable day.
Exploring a new way down off the mountain gave more miles of adventure but no viable exit due to private property. So we backtracked. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, perhaps the video captures some of the reasons why...a great TW chain of destinations.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Where I pointed out "The easy way out" and Eckhart couldn't make it up the hill is where Donzo, Adam and I turned around on last October's Fall Color Ride.
Too much riding and not enough maintenance. Dirty air filter and snorkel were not allowing enough air in at that elevation. Bike was bagged and gutting out on all the hills. Luckily I had an extra, clean air filter and removing the snorkel allowed for a pleasant ride the next day up and over the “Mars” type environment. On the day 4 ride I was following Fred for a while and he made some of the hill climbs on a supposed way out look very challenging as he appeared to be slipping and sliding. Then I would hit the hill, expecting the worst and would just cruise up it. I will assume Fred wanted a more challenging ride and kept his rear tire pressure high. He did lower the pressure as the climbs became steeper and looser. On the way back I had to take 2 run at a hill which Fred and Kris just cruised up with their ATV tires.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
"bagged and gutting out" ? Makes you sound like a successful elk hunter.:D
Darn Canadians don't hardly speak the same language at times....should have joined us rebels back in the 1770's . Then they wouldn't have to have French labels on everything.
Now we all have our excuses...mine is I must have been reading the BAR rather than PSI scale on my tire pressure gauge. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
There certainly was a world of difference between 18 and 8 PSI in the steep marbles.
My comment about the failed climb out "the easy way out" was more about pointing out the irony of my once again underestimating trail difficulties rather than anyone's riding abilities...it was certainly steep & loose but looked doable from below.
Would ride with you Future Astronauts anytime, anywhere.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Six Days Riding in the Sierra Mtns Day 1 Part 1 of 2

Alrighty then. I'll start posting some of my pitchers and videos of the very very fun adventure time we had down in the Sierras with Fred.

Arrived at noon, out riding by 1. Riding mainly singletrack trails on the first day of our 6-day riding trip to the Sierra Mtns. on the California/Nevada border. Fred kept up a good fun pace.

If you can't see the pictures let me know. I'm trying again to post from my Google Photo account instead of attaching the pictures from my computer.

Was getting a little "adventure ready" just on the trip down.
98.PNG

99.PNG

Lately, it seems like I hit snow every time I drive through Lakeview, OR
100.PNG

Wasn't long after arriving and Fred had ejfranz and myself out "exercising".
1.JPG

Rode through knee deep snow too
3.JPG

Even with snow on the ground, ejfranz decided to help spray for any remaining mosquitoes
52.JPG

If the trail looks a little moist, with rocks, roots, and uphill, that's because it was
54.JPG

Fred was taking us to his secret lunch spot
57.JPG

At the secret lunch spot
IMG_2078.jpg

to be continued

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Another really entertaining video ADMIRAL. Definitely better than mine.
I like the way you dubbed in the heavy breathing sound effects, you copy them from some scary Halloween movie?

P.S.- I think you gentlemen should come back for a little log hopping practice...hit it with momentum and a prayer, make those front tires reach for the sky! :D log leap.jpg

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Another really entertaining video ADMIRAL. Definitely better than mine.
I like the way you dubbed in the heavy breathing sound effects, you copy them from some scary Halloween movie?

P.S.- I think you gentlemen should come back for a little log hopping practice...hit it with momentum and a prayer, make those front tires reach for the sky! :D View attachment 199094
Just a different video, not better. I personally did better (not best) jumping logs after this one. I got to work on that! I have a new place to put the mic in the helmet so we'll see if that's better and doesn't pick up my "Jason" sounds. :p

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hard not to grin when having fun riding with you guys . Glad you seemed to enjoy my special bouldery spot and the twisty trails to get there.
Just wish other cyclists would respect the beauty and stay on existing trail system . This is not a place for "free-riding" and recent "rip 'em up" riders are introducing an unwelcome unnecessary ugliness that will only get worse.
With they and other would ride responsibly.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I definitely want to come back and explore more of your "back yard".
I normally have no issues with tree crossing, but Fred you made it look challenging, so I took the caution approach :D and did a bit of "bug spraying".
Also, next time, I will come with a clean air filter and no snorkel.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Six Days Riding in the Sierras Day 1 Part 2/2

Three retired guys keep riding...

I think I invited myself and made/forced Fred host this ride after seeing all his rides with Adam-in-Nevada and Boarder225 ride with him. I was jealous, I admit that. I told him he could invite others. Others showed up in the form of one of our good riding partners...ejfranz. He is a better rider than us...as long as he has as much fun as we do I don't care...ever...:p

After lunch, the fun continued. We had a blast, blasting on the trails with our TW200's and the DT200.

We leave Fred's secret spot. I love this spot.
IMG_2076.jpg

We ride much of the same area but different trails. Boy, what fun it was.
2.JPG

The worst part of any day...the end. Of course, we do get some excellent grub (while not expected) from Mrs. Fred. What great hosts. Mrs. Fred cooked up two dinners and two breakfasts for us invaders of North America. ejfranz from Northern North America and myself from Central Northern North America.
60.JPG

I think this was Day 2 Sunrise. Yup, Day Two ain't gonna be bad either.
IMG_2080.jpg

I can't wait for day 2...

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
True confession time:
They made me do it!
Poor me, forced to guide a bunch of Geezers who haul their bikes around on RVs preying on the innocent T-dubbers. They kept chasing me wherever I went, no matter how hard I tried to loose them. Logs wouldn't even stop them. They still followed me home and ate darn near all my food.;)
I had plans for the Second Day, thinking a quiet day enjoying the fall colors while strafing a couple hundred corners over 2 mountain passes might just calm these 2 Trail Wizards. But Oh No! Seems they wanted to stick around for seconds on the single tracks and finish any left-overs...Oh well, they can't be any worse than the other critters that come around here. :p UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a.jpg
Let's see what Admiral confesses to next for the second day....

21 - 40 of 110 Posts