TW200 Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Bit of a photo issue again, not viewable:(

That sure was a fun day!
Notice how none of us fell that ride? Maybe something to do with our weighing less on the surface of the moon? gravity-900x600.jpg
We should have The Professor, Eckhart, explain grabity using Newton's Law of Universal Grabitational attraction . NewtonsLawOfUniversalGravitation.svg.png
Seems if bike & I were mass m1 we would just crash into Admiral, m2. :p

Or just use the moon calculator

www.tsgc.utexas.edu › everything › moon › calculator

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Six Days Riding the Sierra Mtns Day 4 The Side Trip

We start our return from Belfort but think we can take a side trail back to camp instead of retracing our route. Well, due to a No Trespassing sign we had to retrace but that ain't really a bad thing. Good times.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
What a Day!!!

TW200 What goes up must come down Riding in the Sierra Mtns

Heading back down from spending the day riding on Mt. Patterson area.

Stopped at the Montague Mine Stone cabin as a quick side trip on the way back to camp.
200.JPG

·
Registered
481 Posts
Admiral,
I have a question or two for you. First, what make/model of helmet(s) do you and or, Mrs Admiral wear? Are you happy with them, issues, buy again? Second, it looks like you have communications. If so, what make/model, issues, buy again? Not that the Mrs on my side's gonna be riding with me any time soon but, I'm always interested in equipment, goods and bads, do's and don'ts. Boy, that Rock Creek area sure got MUDDY!
Scott

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Another really fine video of a stellar destination.
Unfortunately I see distortion, or out of focus stuff in the mid-screen when watched on YouTube @ 720i hd and other resolution settings.
Happens only when Admiral's bike is moving at a moderate pace and there is a great depth of field with noticable distortion concentrated at mid-distances...say 50 to 100 feet in front of him. Anyone else notice this?

Like the helmet-to-helmet communications? Well, wait until you hear Admiral's Day 5 video, it is full of hilarious conversations between Admiral and his impressive wife. Their conversations really adds another dimension to what is often otherwise just a stream of consciousness, or point of view trail ride video.

Can't wait! I peeked at day 5 in another of his "When in doubt throttle out" series but will wait for Admiral to present. It is worth the wait.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Admiral,
I have a question or two for you. First, what make/model of helmet(s) do you and or, Mrs Admiral wear? Are you happy with them, issues, buy again? Second, it looks like you have communications. If so, what make/model, issues, buy again? Not that the Mrs on my side's gonna be riding with me any time soon but, I'm always interested in equipment, goods and bads, do's and don'ts. Boy, that Rock Creek area sure got MUDDY!
Scott
Yup, Rock Creek fairly muddy in the one area. About the same as it was a few years ago when I rode the same trail.

Helmets: Mrs. Admiral uses the Scorpion AT 950. Main like is the face shield raises up so she can take a drink from her water bottle. She would like it to be more lightweight but it's not overly heavy. Not sure if she would want another one or not.
IMG_2213.jpg

I use an Istorm HF801. Main like is it's very lightweight and has several cooling vents. I'm a hot head bwahaha! I would buy it again though I'd look at something which is even more lightweight if possible.
22222.PNG

Comm's devices we use are shown in the below screen grab. We did buy a second set so I guess that answers the would we buy them again question. We have no experience with any other comm's and we only use them to talk between us and haven't used any of the other features (talk on a phone etc). We wish the range would be further and is mostly line of sight. When one of us goes around a corner with ground in between us or we get separated to far from each other we loose comm's. Easy to re-synchronize though.
1111.PNG

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey Admiral,
Thank you kindly Sir for the info on the helmets and the comm system. We presently have two brand new HJC 3/4 helmet's with new comm systems installed, being shipped to us as we speak. They are for the two of us riding on our Goldwing. The ones we've been using are over 12 years old and have seen better days. But, the reason I ask about yours is, I might be actually thinking of a helmet to be used when I'm on the dub. In all my off road riding years, which has been on and off for close to 50 years, I've never really purchased a helmet to be used for off road only. If and when I actually WORE a helmet off road, it was my street one. OBVIOUSLY, that always looked a bit odd but, what can I say, no one's ever accused me of being smart. So, it's time to smarten up some and look around for one. As for the comm system, well, with primarily one rider, a comm system may be of no use. But, as stated, earlier, I'm always learning what works and what doesn't, thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Six Days Riding in the Sierra Mtns Day 5 When in doubt, throttle out!!!

Finally got the whole crew together on a wonderful Sweetwater Mtns. ride. The worst part about today is knowing tomorrow is the last day. I hate the end of rides...they should go on forever. We deserve it right?! :)

Bannanachunks arrived overnight while I was sleeping though I think this picture was actually taken in the afternoon when we got back from riding
IMG_2109.jpg

ejfranz
C0658T01.JPG

The crew (me taking picture)
IMG_2103.jpg

Great places for lunch
IMG_2106.jpg

Great viewpoint off Burcham Flat Rd. U.S. Hwy 395 way way down there
IMG_2108.jpg

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Last Day.

Six Days Riding in the Sierra Mtns USMC MWTC Sonora Pass

Today we rode in the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center and then took a quick and fun trip up to Sonora Pass. Then back to camp to wrap up a great week of riding.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Dang, almost forgot how much fun we have together on these little machines. What a variety of riding experiences and terrains that week!
The twisty paved mountain passes like Sonora Pass are an absolute joy on any bike, and each class of bike has it's own most rewarding speed. Bananchunks likely ripped through a good deal faster but securely on his Honda on his way home. For the TWs our optimum grins occur at a nice safe speed. From all the giggling I guess I wasn't the only liking a bit of pavement.
Come back next year and we'll kick it up a notch with Ebbetts and Monitor Passes along with a new collection of dirt distractions.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts