TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
which 6 speed engine is best for transplant into the T-DUB. ?
which year is best ?
Note the engine must have a Kickstarter ..
or it must be easy to install a Kickstarter on the engine...
I would like to retain electric start as it also can be a lifesaver ...
Thanks for your help..
I need to know what to be hunting for...
It's time for my little T-DUB to grow a set...
I believe this would be the perfect set up
for the TAT .. for me anyway !
mike from NC

·
Registered
423 Posts
What's your end goal? More dirt, more road? Balance of both? Planning on big bore later on? Or just want a 200 with 6 gears?

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
See my responses below in Blue:

which 6 speed engine is best for transplant into the T-DUB. ? Either an XT225 or TTR225/230 will work.
which year is best ? Don't know, I only have experience with a 1992 XT225 engine and am not sure of the year for the TTR225 (might be a 2000) and these have both worked fine. I've read that different years have different transmission ratios but I can't confirm this, mine both seem to be the same.
Note the engine must have a Kickstarter .. I don't believe that either of these bikes came stock with kickstarters, however both can be retrofitted with kickers.
or it must be easy to install a Kickstarter on the engine... XT engines are the easiest for adding a kickstarter, just push out the plug on the right side engine cover and install the XT kickstarter parts with a TW Kick Boss (the splined part on the kickstart lever assembly). On the TTR engine, the right side engine cover must have the opening for the kickstart shaft machined out, and some later years may require that the right side crankcase be bored out for the kickstart shaft also.
I cannot live without a Kickstarter.. Agreed.
It would be to much of a down grade... Agreed.
Thanks for your help.. I hope this helps.

Brian

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What's your end goal? More dirt, more road? Balance of both? Planning on big bore later on? Or just want a 200 with 6 gears?
My goal is to build a an off road machine that is street Worthy..
Wanting a little more low end torque from the marginal displacement increase ...
A lower first gear.. ( useful on the TAT )
A higher 6th gear..( useful in the return from the West coast )
My current usage is only about 25% off road ..
I have high hopes for increasing this percentage greatly...
I bought this bike after lurking on this forum for a long time...
The bike was bought to build for the TAT and several other
Bucket list adventures.
The new engine will receive the standard big bore hop up
Before it is installed in the T-DUB
mike from NC

·
Registered
423 Posts
XT225 for the really low 1st and second and 5 and 6 are taller than the ttr as well. I haven't researched the big bore stuff much other than to get an idea. I don't plan on doing any of that until i wear out the factory cylinder. I'm just stuffing xt trans guts and clutch in the tw bottom end for now. So that's about as far as i can help you.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok it sounds like I need to go with the XT225 .....
Now I need to figure out what years to look for ?
Thanks again ..
mike from NC

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
423 Posts
I looked thru the parts schematics at all the years of xt and ttr. I didn't see a difference in years as long as it's a 225, the 230 and 250 designations had different. 250 was only five speed.. that thread about losing sleep i posted... That was over gearing. Did i want to use the xt 1st and sixth with the ttr 2nd and fifth,. Use the sprockets to adjust so that 1st was a granny for walking the bike thru iffy shit and the 6th being an overdrive and the middle four a close ratio for everything else. I played with all different combos on that gear commander site until 4 am two days straight without realizing i was so zoned into it that the night got away from me. Finally decided that i had better just go with xt everything and see how the thing runs after everything's done and then figure out the sprockets to get the power at what speed it needs to be. Oh and dual sprocket setup. Until i know for sure where the tq and hp peaks are I'm thinking 15/45 and 15/65.

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Ok it sounds like I need to go with the XT225 .....
Now I need to figure out what years to look for ?
Thanks again ..
mike from NC
I believe the years of manufacture you're looking for is '92 through '07. You may want to get a complete(ish) bike, as I believe there were changes to some of the electrical components through those years. As others have mentioned, these bikes were manufactured without kickstarters.

Before you commit to stripping down an xt225 for a tw build, consider keeping the xt as-is. I own 2 of them, and they are very nice bikes - only the back tire is narrow. If you can get past that, there's not a whole lot of difference. The suspension is similar, but the geometry feels a little different; with the xt225 allowing you to hunch over less - which is preferable to me. The saddle height is almost identical to the tw. One plus to the xt for those years: All models have a front disk brake. One significant weakness (I've heard-of) for the xt: The back wheel hub is prone to degradation if the spokes get loose. I haven't experienced this problem with mine, though.

The XT225 transmission is far superior to the TW200, in my opinion, especially if you spend a considerable amount of time at the top end. I just don't hunt for another gear with the xt. It baffles me that Yamaha didn't evolve the TW by including the 6th gear. This, coupled with the removable front sprocket cover, makes the XT225 engine superior.

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
" Does tweaking a TW in this manner change the essence of a TW?
Will it have the same "soul" ?"

- I find the experience with a TTR 223CC engine transplant about the same as the stock TW, I just find myself trying to upshift into 7th rather than into 6th gear. That seems a familiar experience, or "soul" of the TW. :cool:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
@Workingman

Let me see if I have this right.

From what I remember covering your six part of the time during the GOTOG, you, the bike and the trailer you pulled the WHOLE TIME did just fine. And, the relatively brisk pace we maintained most of the time was really faster than you normally enjoy riding for the most part. More of a stop and smell the roses type as I usually am.

If you will be retired when you do the TAT, I feel certain you are not going to be in any hurry and there will be many variations of roses along the way for you to snort. Your Dubbie has certainly proved itself to be worthy thus far with anything you have thrown it's way.

And you have the balls to say "It's time for my little T-DUB to grow a set... "

Well, if you are gonna strap your DUB to a new set of family jewels, I have just one question . . . .

"Can I have the old engine that is not up to the task?"

Marty :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Workingman

Let me see if I have this right.

From what I remember covering your six part of the time during the GOTOG, you, the bike and the trailer you pulled the WHOLE TIME did just fine. And, the relatively brisk pace we maintained most of the time was really faster than you normally enjoy riding for the most part. More of a stop and smell the roses type as I usually am.

If you will be retired when you do the TAT, I feel certain you are not going to be in any hurry and there will be many variations of roses along the way for you to snort. Your Dubbie has certainly proved itself to be worthy thus far with anything you have thrown it's way.

And you have the balls to say "It's time for my little T-DUB to grow a set... "

Well, if you are gonna strap your DUB to a new set of family jewels, I have just one question . . . .

Marty :)
Marty you know I love my little T-DUB..
Last weekend a neighbor and I make a run up to Linville falls..
Tom and his wife were on his sporty with no bags..
So I was loaded heavy... Hammock , chairs , ice , beer , charcoal ,food, grill , passenger and so on ..,
Me and the dub were drug down to less then 15 / 20 Mph 6 or 7 times..
Personally it doesn't bother me any ....
If it takes a little longer to get there the beer just has time to get a little colder...
But it's not good when a caddy pops out of a curve behind you at 50 Mph......
Luckily he was the kind of guy to slam his pretty car into the rock bank instead
of taking me out..
I'm not looking for a faster bike , just wanting a little power in reserve when needed...
The little goat just needs to be able to wander around with a little more authority ...
mike from NC

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked thru the parts schematics at all the years of xt and ttr. I didn't see a difference in years as long as it's a 225, the 230 and 250 designations had different. 250 was only five speed.. that thread about losing sleep i posted... That was over gearing. Did i want to use the xt 1st and sixth with the ttr 2nd and fifth,. Use the sprockets to adjust so that 1st was a granny for walking the bike thru iffy shit and the 6th being an overdrive and the middle four a close ratio for everything else. I played with all different combos on that gear commander site until 4 am two days straight without realizing i was so zoned into it that the night got away from me. Finally decided that i had better just go with xt everything and see how the thing runs after everything's done and then figure out the sprockets to get the power at what speed it needs to be. Oh and dual sprocket setup. Until i know for sure where the tq and hp peaks are I'm thinking 15/45 and 15/65.
Please keep us posted on your progress ...

Reactions: MaddMaverick

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
- I find the experience with a TTR 223CC engine transplant about the same as the stock TW, I just find myself trying to upshift into 7th rather than into 6th gear.
As someone with the experience with both the 223 and the stock motor, would you advise or recommend upgrading to a 223 6 speed to be worth the time and money for someone who mostly rides the trails and uses the pavement to connect them?
My experience is that the TW200 has the power I need off road/trail riding and pretty gutless on paved secondary roads over 45mph (let alone freeway speed roads). For that reason, I don't ride my bike to off road riding areas, but rather portage to staging areas. IF a 223/6 speed made things appreciably better for on-road speed, that would interest me. Since I never am full throttle off road with the stock motor, going larger would make no difference for me at all.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Marty you know I love my little T-DUB..
Last weekend a neighbor and I make a run up to Linville falls..
Tom and his wife were on his sporty with no bags..
So I was loaded heavy... Hammock , chairs , ice , beer , charcoal ,food, grill , passenger and so on ..,
Me and the dub were drug down to less then 15 / 20 Mph 6 or 7 times..
Personally it doesn't bother me any ....
If it takes a little longer to get there the beer just has time to get a little colder...
But it's not good when a caddy pops out of a curve behind you at 50 Mph......
Luckily he was the kind of guy to slam his pretty car into the rock bank instead
of taking me out..
I'm not looking for a faster bike , just wanting a little power in reserve when needed...
The little goat just needs to be able to wander around with a little more authority ...
mike from NC
I did not know you were carrying a passenger and beer for four on the TAT. Well as a all nicessities required of following someone on a braless Sporty. Please accept with hat in hand, my humble apology Mike!

When I think you may have to be drug down to less then 15 / 20 Mph 6 or 7 times . . .
(or way more along the TAT) well, "I just don't think my soul could bare it!" Doc Holiday.

Marty
:D

·
Registered
423 Posts

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
SkiPro, the expense and effort are a little hard to justify for your intended uses. I just enjoy playing with the novelty of a lower first gear coupled with a faster top speed.
I typically ride like you but occasionally higher speed pavement benefits from the 6th gear either out of necessity or just for fun like bombing over the lesser traveled mountain passes.
Doesn’t matter 5 or 6 speeds, the gods will be smiling down on your TW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts