TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chain on my bike broke today. Yay! And 5 points to Gryffindor for retaining all my leg flesh in the process.

The bike only has ~4000 miles on it, and while I've never had a bike before with a chain final drive, that seems like an awfully short lifespan. Is that common?

I ordered a 15/49 sprocket setup, hopefully that will turn out well as I ride mostly on the street. It seems pretty torquey down low with the stock ratio, so hopefully it won't be too bad now.

So with my other bike being stolen a few weeks ago, and the TW temporarily out of commision, I am resigned to driving my truck for a little while ):

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You have to clean and oil the chain -- I do it every 300 to 400 miles -- a friend does it every 800 but I think that is to long -- you must have done it a little bit because a zero care chain usually breaks at 2000 miles.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, i see. I usually lube it every few hundred miles, but who knows if the previous owner ever did it.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It does seem like it went out a little prematurely. Are you going to go with a O-ring or X-ring chain? Keep us posted in that sprocket combo please. I'm interested in that one.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I would say this is not common on a motorcycle with the power of a TW with normal maintenance and adjustment regardless of the type of chain (x/o-ring or standard). Do you believe it was purely a sucky chain or do you think you may have contributed to this happening? There wasn't some type of debris which caught in the chain causing this was there?

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
How about 3 wheels? Wonder where would Mike install the ScottOiler.

·
Registered
638 Posts
How about 3 wheels? Wonder where would Mike install the ScottOiler.
Always wondered where you could carry a spare on a motorcycle.

Reactions: Fred

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say this is not common on a motorcycle with the power of a TW with normal maintenance and adjustment regardless of the type of chain (x/o-ring or standard). Do you believe it was purely a sucky chain or do you think you may have contributed to this happening? There wasn't some type of debris which caught in the chain causing this was there?
I was riding on the street, so there were no sticks or rocks or anything to find their way in there. As to having a sucky chain-maybe? when I bought the bike in June it had ~2200 miles in six years, so there was probably a lot of just sitting there going on (maybe in the elements?). I have no basis of comparison to tell whether the wear is normal or not, but I had to adjust the slack in the chain twice in about 1800 miles. I bought an O-ring chain, so hopefully that one will wear quite a bit slower.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It should last longer, but you still have to maintain it. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
I ordered a 15/49 sprocket setup, hopefully that will turn out well as I ride mostly on the street.

15/49 may be perfect for the street. I've been running 15/50 a long time and like it. If I can ever wear out my O ring chain I will try 15/49. If the bike is running strong 15/49 should be fun, especially on the open road .;)

best regards, MAC

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Did you keep the chain adjusted to the proper tension as per the manual? If it's loose, it will wear out faster than if properly tensioned.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you keep the chain adjusted to the proper tension as per the manual? If it's loose, it will wear out faster than if properly tensioned.
The chain was super floppy when I got it, so I adjusted it within a few hundred miles, and I had to tighten it again in less than a thousand miles.

·
Registered
638 Posts
when I bought the bike in June it had ~2200 miles in six years, so there was probably a lot of just sitting there going on (maybe in the elements?).
I'll second that. I have seen plenty of "put away" bikes blow chains soon after being put back on the road. Makes me think I should do preemptive replacement on mine, It had 1500 miles in 10 years. Looks and sounds fine but not really a part you want to die far from home.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yeah, true story. i was lucky in that respect as mine broke less than a block away from the house. while i'm personally too lazy usually to preempt anything, maybe having a spare chain and sprocket set here so i don't have to wait for a new set next time might be a good idea. and while i'm at it with the sprocket replacement, i suppose now is as good a time as any to delve into my transmission and find out what that painfully annoying rattling is before it causes some kind of catastrophic failure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts