1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
603 Posts
I did not find a price. Veeerrry interesting. I worked in Redwood City for a few years and bought my first KDX200 in 1983 there. The town is a hotbed of innovations, M/C and otherwise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you have any more info on this; such as install method, additional parts needed, additional machine work needed? I would be very interested in this mod if its fairly straight forward. Thanks

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like my slow poke TW like it was made mine will stay stock.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I saw you posting to Derek about the XT setup. If the work is reasonable and you want to do it. I have a complete XT transmission I would let go for $150. This is the shafts (not sure if needed), gears, fork, and drum.
Good luck, This was a PM sent to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
]I saw you posting to Derek about the XT setup. If the work is reasonable and you want to do it. I have a complete XT transmission I would let go for $150. This is the shafts (not sure if needed), gears, fork, and drum.
Good luck,
Not sure of this was for me or trailscout, but once we figure out the details of this mod, I'd be interested in your XT transmission at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a message sent to me on advrider so it looks like parts will be easy to get.
Not sure of this was for me or trailscout, but once we figure out the details of this mod, I'd be interested in your XT transmission at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would love one. But if its a major job then I'm better off getting another dual sport. Like a wr250f modded to ds. Actually I want both anyway

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just e-mailed them today, requesting more info and install instructions. Ill post back with the info I receive.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would love one. But if its a major job then I'm better off getting another dual sport. Like a wr250f modded to ds. Actually I want both anyway
That is exactly the bike that I thought would be an ideal dual sport. ( my friend rides one ) I was going to see if it is possible to lace up some wr 250 x rims to the " f " hubs to facilitate wider " tdubish " tires. That set up would be the cats ass, IMHO .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lads, we've been doing exactly this mod for several years- sans the fancy website with no prices. Search "TW230 engine notes" by the Vagabond, or TW250 6 speed by Ronnydog. Needs a 6 speed trani and mods to the shaft which run about $100.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great read (I subscribed)! I really like what you guys did with the engine and trans. Mine only has 600 miles on it, so I'm not quite ready to do any heavy mods. Heck, I haven't even got the valves adjusted or switched over to synthetic oil. This is the reason for the appeal of a bolt-in transmission kit for me. I not only lack the machining skill and tools, but also want all the guess work done for me. As a result I'm willing to pay a little extra for that preliminary work to be done (we'll see how much extra when I get that reply email back). If I can simply swap gears onto a modified/machined TTR trans shaft, pop the left side cover off my bike, change everything out, and put it back together, with the same reliability and performance as the stock TW trans, then I'm sold. If I lived closer to one of you guys however, I would probably consider diving into a similar approach as you did with modifying the case and machining the trans shaft for that sixth gear and extra CCs/HP. Thank you a bunch for the info though. A TW250 with a 6-speed would be a super all arounder.
Lads, we've been doing exactly this mod for several years- sans the fancy website with no prices. Search "TW230 engine notes" by the Vagabond, or TW250 6 speed by Ronnydog. Needs a 6 speed trani and mods to the shaft which run about $100.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just e-mailed them today, requesting more info and install instructions. Ill post back with the info I receive.
Here's the response from the company:

"Hello Mike,

I'm not offering the 6-speed conversion as a product at this time.

Regards,

Derek

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:32 AM, Mike <> wrote:
Hello, I am an owner of a 2010 TW200 and I saw this conversion on a web forum I'm a member of. I have long been looking for one additional gear for my bike to better obtain highway speeds and not lose low end grunt. I have moderate mechanical skills and was wondering if you could tell me more about this product that you're offering; what additional parts will I need (specific)? What is involved in installing this mod? Are there any negative effects to the bike? How much? I have never broken into the lower end of my engine, but I plan on installing a kick start on the bike this winter and figured I'd try and do the 6th gear mod while I had it apart. Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

-Mike"

·
Registered
603 Posts
xt250, wr250. Thing is, both of those have the dirt bike feel. Which to me is not a bad thing. I've ridden full on dirt bikes for years. But the TW is different. It doesn't have the dirt bike feel. It has the TW feel. Even with an 18 inch regular dirt bike tire on the back. Dirt bike geometry is a mystic thing. The TW's got something, I don't know what, but I can climb on it and have an experience that dirt bikes don't provide. Laid back no hassle tooling around. That said, yeah, 6th gear would be nice. Particularly when running a 14/70 combo.

I am into the TW enough that if the 6th gear does become available I'll likely spend money I don't have to get it. If I HAVE to have 6th gear on a dirt bike, well, my KLX300 is still sitting outside. Somebody is supposed to check it out on Monday. Got it on Craig's list.

TW's about all the M/C I'm interested in anymore. WR426 will soon be gone too.

It'll then just be me, Hondo, Meka, and my 5 speed TW.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I second that. One more gear would be perfect. 65-70MPH without ringing it out. It would make the occasional highway travel much more tolerable and easy on the bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gotcha. Let's keep this thread going. There a lot of guys out there who I'm sure would be interested in a 6th gear.

I am one of them. I go into the high mountains and it's a long trip home down hill trip all the way home. A 6th gear would be very nice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts