TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I have a lot of hummingbirds as dependents. :D We feed many of our wild neighbors but I get the most pleasure sitting under my deck at dusk surrounded by thirty or more hummingbirds sipping at three suspended feeders and zooming around. Kids had been consuming 3 quarts of nectar a day but today marks when 3 feeders are not enough, needed to add a forth after coming home from an epic TW ride. Oh well, 8 cups of sugar is actually easier to mix in a gallon of water than 6 in 6 quarts. I use an electric drill spinning paint mixer to speed up the batch prep time.:rolleyes: Time to buy more bags of sugar soon.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
...and I have a lot of hummingbirds as dependents. :D We feed many of our wild neighbors but I get the most pleasure sitting under my deck at dusk surrounded by thirty or more hummingbirds sipping at three suspended feeders and zooming around. Kids had been consuming 3 quarts of nectar a day but today marks when 3 feeders are not enough, needed to add a forth after coming home from an epic TW ride. Oh well, 8 cups of sugar is actually easier to mix in a gallon of water than 6 in 6 quarts. I use an electric drill spinning paint mixer to speed up the batch prep time.:rolleyes: Time to buy more bags of sugar soon.
Fred, did you ever get that game camera back in action?

Tom

·
Banned
441 Posts
Don't forget the wife she will love this.
Buttermilk Pancakes
Buttermilk Pancake Recipe

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled slightly
Clarified butter or high-heat vegetable oil, for cooking

Directions

1In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in buttermilk and melted butter. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture until just combined (lumps are OK).
3Heat the oven to 200°F and place an oven-safe plate or baking dish inside. Heat a large, nonstick skillet on the stove top over medium heat. Melt 1/4 teaspoon of butter on skillet. Dollop 1/2 cup batter onto skillet; depending on the size of the skillet, it may fit 2-3 pancakes. Cook pancakes until bubbles rise to the surface and pop, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip pancakes and cook another 2 minutes.
4Transfer cooked pancakes to plate in the oven. Cover with foil. Repeat with more butter and remaining batter, until all pancakes are cooked.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just these guys Joe. Think they will leave me enough sugar for Reddog's pancakes?

These were taken when I was posting original thread tonight @ 7pm while sitting beneath feeders.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Damn Fred! You have Hummers 'round your place like I've got hornets!!

When I was at your place for the "Cruse & Brews" I was impressed by the humming bird traffic you have. It's like watching the Blue Angels but hyped up on sugar & not in formation! :D m.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I buy sugar in 25 pound bags at Sam's club. In early May I start with one feeder and I have 2 pairs of hummers appear. Right now I have 4 feeders hanging and they each hold a quart of juice and get drained every day. I am on my third 25 pound bag of sugar now and right around 6:30 every evening I have to have over 100 hummers buzzing the front porch. I believe they multiply like rabbits over the summer and probably raise a number of broods each year. The number one best feeder is made by Perky Pet and is the #109 which has a one quart glass bottle and 6 ports for the birds. You can buy extra bottles for the feeder so you have reserve fluid mixed in advance. Always bring the mixture to a full boil 1 cup white sugar to 4 cups of hot water. Wash the bottle in nothing but hot water with a dose of bleach and never any soap or food coloring. Wash the feeders immediately when you bring them in for a fluid change because the feeders will have tiny Mites crawling all over them.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Game camera needs new SD card. Catches me at times.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Based on those pictures Fred I would say you had the camera too close to the road you were watching. If you must be that close then try aiming the camera directly up or down the road. Doing so will give that particular camera time to wake up and still get a picture or two.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"did you do anything special to promote this?" -Lyterx, do you mean the hummingbirds or the bears?:p
I suppose answer is the same for each...start satisfying one hungry critter and others soon begin showing up. They then return year after year with new offspring. As Garry says the numbers increase through the season

·
Registered
806 Posts
Fun stuff. I had an aquaintance who fitted a camera into a nest box. Got to watch birds raising broods. Good stuff. Not so sure about letting bears in so close. One bear can really make a mess of your house while looking for food. When I lived in the Bush, always had a working dog to keep vermin away from the homestead unit. Has to be a working dog though, pets just don't seem to frighten bears but rather tend to annoy them or become food. The prevailing theory used to be that Bears go rouge in response to being fed and losing fear of man.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This guy walked right by Dryden T-Dub's TrailCam location. Wife "shoo-ed" him off the road after snapping this shot with her cell phone through car window.:rolleyes: Bear on road.JPG

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
He/she looks disappointed. Must have been looking for Evan's tent! He/she is probably miserable wearing all that fur too!:p

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, bear was likely one exception to the wife's "No One Leaves Hungry" rule. Was actually taken last fall before Tom sent me his wonderful camera.
Black Beauty here will likely be back once peaches are ripe. Squirrels already nicked every last cherry.:(

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yeah, bear was likely one exception to the wife's "No One Leaves Hungry" rule. Was actually taken last fall before Tom sent me his wonderful camera.
Black Beauty here will likely be back once peaches are ripe. Squirrels already nicked every last cherry.:(

Better get a SD card sooner than later then.

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts