TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early 1980's my street Honda (750?) had a set of bars that attached to the frame that would keep the bike from hitting the ground. I do not see those on bikes these days. The feel of having something to protect you when the bike goes down was a good one. Are there any TW riders that use these bars?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Crash bars have kinda gone out of fashion these days. I guess they were too functional to be cool, er sumpin'.

You would probably have to modify some existing or aftermarket crash bars from another bike. or adapt some "universal" type bars.

I've seen these on some Euro TW's. The AG200 sold in Australia has protrusions from its skid bars which would serve a similar purpose.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There are after market crash bars for lots of dual sport bikes, I went through 2 sets on my V-Strom 1000, on the TW, no radator, no fancy crap, slower speeds, I think, handguards will do, plus skid plate and Cycleracks. You want to keep these low HP bikes as light as possible. I'm going soft panniers, I had hard on a KLR and DL, too heavy and bad windage. There is a guy that traveled to the tip of SA, he had a BMW650 he's heading off to circle the globe, he choose a Suzuki DRZ 400, "quote I never went above 55 mph all through Central and South America, except Ruta 40", think TW.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The funny thing is that immediately after posting this I had the bike slide out from under me while tturning through some gravel leaving my drive! I believe the posts are right, and better money would be spent on personal padding, knee pads, etc. No damage to the bike or me, just a reminder to respect conditions all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If those bars stuck out straight, they were actually for footpegs, I put a set on my 650 Special.

If they looped around, they were "crash guards" now called "engine guards". Evidently someone thot they prevented crashes... aka stupid. anyway..

I dont' have a Tdub yet, so no idea what's available now.

but have fun and ride safe.

Mary aka Krashdragon

·
Registered
567 Posts
Are there any TW riders that use these bars?

I have some chrome ones on my xt350, they are mini's....they look cool. I call them nerf bars.

These are genuine Yamaha special parts item, I forget the part # but they are not part of the fiche, some guy was selling a bunch of these NOS on ebay a decade ago, so I picked one up.

There is a company that makes aftermarket crash bars for the TW, but they need to be used with that company's skid plate, I can't remember the name, Ricochet maybe, but a member here supplied his bike so one could be fabricated, they protect the side of the engine and you need to remove them to remove the oil filter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are frame slider kits for most modern sport bikes. That along with bar ends keep the plastics off the pavement during a slide or drop . The cyclerack and the wider higher tag handelbars with barkbusters kept my tank and plastics on the tw from gettin smashed or scraped when I went down . The big engine guards would be in the way when off road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If those bars stuck out straight, they were actually for footpegs, I put a set on my 650 Special.

If they looped around, they were "crash guards" now called "engine guards". Evidently someone thot they prevented crashes... aka stupid. anyway..

Mary aka Krashdragon

Mary - the crash gaurds were never intended to prevent crashes - rather they were to protect hard to replace engine casings from grinding down or smashing during an accident.

Today it seems like everything is instantly available but in past years breaking the fins off a cylinder barrel was a sure way to park a bike anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months waiting for replacement peices

1 - 8 of 8 Posts