TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bottom to top are my OEM bash plate, one I added additional aluminum to, and a Ricochet skidplate coutesy of r80rt. Ain't evolution wonderful?
I have successively upgraded but I still argue that Yamaha did a good job with stock unit. Rubber mount and flexibility spread impact loads over many milliseconds dissipating impact energy very well. Rigid mount of ricochet transmits impact directly into motor mount and frame. I kicked Adam's and mine Sunday with identical force and the ricochet equipped bike shook much, much more. So do not feel unprotected with OEM unit.
If anyone would like either oem units they are free to a good home for cost of shipping, complete with scratches, dings and dents

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

If anyone would like either oem units they are free to a good home for cost of shipping, complete with scratches, dings and dents
This is a great offer from Fred! Somebody could mount the silver stock skidplate under the blue one and have an extra layer of shock absorption. The extra aluminum plate that Fred added already addresses the area where most impacts occur. Assuming that Fred painted both sides with that special Superman blue paint, the extra thickness will further beef up the stock skidplate ;).

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I've often wondered if the stock plate allows more cooling air to the bottom side of the engine compared to the Ricochet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Fred, I know you don't like thread stealers BUT has anyone found a good way to quiet down the Ricochet reflected engine noise ?

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow, spot on points for discussion, not hijacking.
I bet stock unit flows more air and allows better heat dissipation from engine even though Ricochet is a big heat sink conductively linked to the frame and engine. With its own surface area to help radiate away heat the Ricochet might make up for the engine having lost air-flow. Too bad I didn't use my infrared thermometer for before and after numbers.
I contemplated plasti-dip or some rubbery sound absorbing coating but worried it might hinder clean-up of mud, gas and oil.
Ear plugs remain a hopefully un-needed but viable option, still need to test-drive to see if noticably obnoxious.
What I am anxious to experience is the parting of the waves on creek crossings that the Ricochet seems to give.
All I know is that Adam and evan with theirs create nice bow waves and emerge with drier boots than I can ever achieve with my old oem cat food can.
P.S. Superman Blue was attempt to introduce more of Betty Boops' accent blue color to soften flourescent orange while masking Rube Goldberg fabrication. It also made a nice chalkboard to record the marks of a ride's scrapes and bruises. "Oh, that scraping noise was a rock hitting here?"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Fred. Would love to take you up on the offer of a skid plate if one is still available. My 1990 that I just got is naked without one. Let me kn ow.

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Did you post that so I would feel better about all this? LOL!!!

Bottom to top are my OEM bash plate, one I added additional aluminum to, and a Ricochet skidplate coutesy of r80rt. Ain't evolution wonderful?
I have successively upgraded but I still argue that Yamaha did a good job with stock unit. Rubber mount and flexibility spread impact loads over many milliseconds dissipating impact energy very well. Rigid mount of ricochet transmits impact directly into motor mount and frame. I kicked Adam's and mine Sunday with identical force and the ricochet equipped bike shook much, much more. So do not feel unprotected with OEM unit.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Newman and Mel have requested the left-overs. Offer expired so the Smithsonian will just have to wait for my next cast-off.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
........................I still argue that Yamaha did a good job with stock unit. Rubber mount and flexibility spread impact loads over many milliseconds dissipating impact energy very well...............
Yamaha does with finesse what Ricochet does with brute force?

My main TW has a Ricochet and my "parts bike" has an OEM -- I will have to go give them a kick and see what happens...........

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clever Idahoan, I have heard of tear-off goggles but never tear-off skid plates.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I drilled 1/2" diameter holes on 2"-3" centers in my Ricochet. The front "wings" have two holes; the front "ramps" have seven each. There are eleven in the bottom. Larger holes while allowing better airflow may have compromised the overall structural integrity. I haven't measured the temperature but the noise is mitigated by ear plugs or ear buds.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Another option while still staying with Yamaha. I used an XT-225 plate. It is aluminium and gives a bit more side coverage than the stock unit. Can still use a couple of the stock rubber bumpers. For extra air flow I used a hole saw on the front section (not shown). For vibration and 'squishibility' I wedged some sections of 3/4" water heater hose (automotive) between engine and plate. I like the idea of some 'give'. Even with the stock thin plate, when you come down on a rock, you better not have your tongue between your teeth. A hole in your engine case is a drag. Biting off your tongue would seem to me, much worse. My wife may have a different point of view. Gerry

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the best of both worlds Gerry, brilliant re-sourcing and a couple of pounds lighter than the aftermarket skid plates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts