TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow TWers, I am looking into changing the OEM soda pop can Skid plate for one that is a little more robust. I have heard of people installing the brand Ricochet that seems to be appreciated... But there's something about the noise of the engine reflecting off the skid plate being kinda annoying... Does anyone here have one installed on their bike or does anyone have an other brand to recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hello fellow TWers, I am looking into changing the OEM soda pop can Skid plate for one that is a little more robust. I have heard of people installing the brand Ricochet that seems to be appreciated... But there's something about the noise of the engine reflecting off the skid plate being kinda annoying... Does anyone here have one installed on their bike or does anyone have an other brand to recommend?

Thanks!
I have a Ricochet and never noticed a sound change whatsoever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Quite a few of us have the Ricochet skid plate which bolts directly to frame and engine.
OEM skid plate is not that bad, only marginally less coverage than the aftermarket guard but has the really superior feature of rubber isolation which reduces noise. More importantly that rubber isolation extends the time duration of impacts lessening peak accelerations to bike and rider after a significant blow. Unlike me I don't think many have experienced side by side comparisons of just how well the stock skid plate does absorbing and reducing the transmittal of impact stresses compared to a Ricochet when both a given identical blows with a club. I wish Ricochet had put as much engineering expertise as Yamaha did in the design of their mounting system.
Other options include OEM skidplates from other models. One of my TWs has a larger skidplate from an XT350 which also features rubber isolation mounting. It works well. Discontinued TCI skidplates can occasionally be found used listed right next to unicorn horns.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks!
I think it does reflect noise. I heard more tappet or timing chain noise. I spayed mine with truck liner. Not sure if it made a difference or not. Either way, I'm used to it now. It has taken some big hits, and think it was a good purchase for where I ride.

As a note. Best price for a Ricochet in Canada that I found was Gnarlyparts. Ricochet Offroad Skid Plate I see it went up in price though.

PlacerLode doesn't ship to Canada. :(

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
I'm in the "it makes or deflects more noise" crowd section. Sometimes I hear things which make me take pause but then I remember the skid plate deflection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
X001.jpg X001-Y036.jpg X016-Y030.jpg

an option I was considering was installing some slots or holes in the Ricochet when I attach some sides.
it seems very stout an I don't feel personally that it would weaken it much.

... that would deflect some of the tin harmonics, plus I'll add some compression rubber to the mounting hardware

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I've got an MSR on mine and placed a couple of closed cell foam blocks between it and the crankcase. No more reflected noise. Also mines taken some pretty good hits from Tennessee rocks with no damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the looks of the ricochet, but there are some things I don't care for about it. I don't like that there are no breather holes to help cool, and I would like one built from 1/4" or 1/8" stainless. I'm an overkill kinda guy. I'm a fabricator, and I've been brainstorming how I could make the design better, I will post some pics when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I like the looks of the ricochet, but there are some things I don't care for about it. I don't like that there are no breather holes to help cool, and I would like one built from 1/4" or 1/8" stainless. I'm an overkill kinda guy. I'm a fabricator, and I've been brainstorming how I could make the design better, I will post some pics when I get it done.
Holes create edges that could catch on the logs or rocks you want to get over. I'd prefer no holes. If cooling is that much of a concern, add an oil cooler would be my advice.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
I would agree as to not drilling holes. Buddy did this and regrets the decision. When we would ride together his seemed to trap more stones than my unmodified Ricochet. We did not pay any attention to any cooling differences though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Studawg777 -
I thought the Ricochet would be light too, but at least stronger and sufficient than the stock plate.
Once I received my ricochet, I was actually surprised at how heavy and thick it is...

I'd be great to see what you can create though... Built over Bought when you can!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too have the Ricochet plate and I did notice an increase in radiant noise, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. Someone makes some kind of foam liner for skid plates that's supposed to help prevent mud buildup between the plate and the engine. That may also solve the (minor) noise issue. Otherwise, the skid plate is very sturdy.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I love my Ricochet. When wearing a half helmet I hear more wooshing noises. Cam chain likely. Valve tapping is no louder. Very minimal diff. When wearing a full MX helmet I notice no difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whatever happened to the TCI skidplates? Its a shame they are discontinued. There is probably a long list of us that would buy them. I wonder if we could get the plans from whoever was making them before and have someone else start making them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too have the Ricochet plate and I did notice an increase in radiant noise, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. Someone makes some kind of foam liner for skid plates that's supposed to help prevent mud buildup between the plate and the engine. That may also solve the (minor) noise issue. Otherwise, the skid plate is very sturdy.
+1, installed my new Ricochet and test rode today. Yes it is louder than my TTR-225 adapted skid plate it replaced. Seems to me the engine sound is radiated and amplified from the Ricochet Plate. I'd guess this is due to being mounted to frame by the lower front engine mount bolt. Not a show stopper.

·
Registered
119 Posts
https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/64938-ricochet-skid-plate-sound-dampener-how-get-rid-high-pitch-noise-now.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts