TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen members use a fatter front tire than stock on their TW, but never seen someone mount a skinnier tire. Has anyone tried a 3.50 and whats your opinion on how it worked for you?
My thinking is that a wide tire on the front is heavier and you can feel it in the bars. Regular dirt bikes are 3.00 in width.
I think I'm going to try a Shinko 761

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
I am not familiar with a Shinko 761 designation.
Might you mean a Kenda K761?
If so I think their narrowest in an 18" rim is 110mm.:(
Anyways a narrower front tire does have merits.
You could get a Shinko 241 in a 2.75 x 18

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, yes Fred. I meant Kenda not Shinko. I was conconsidering the Shinko 241
I like the size however the rim is on the wide side. I think it is 2.15x18. That is the same with of a Honda CR500 rear rim. I'm concerned with the tire profile to be stretched too wide with that size tire. I'm not saying I would never try it. I'll try a little smaller tire if this 761 isnt a tire I'm happy with

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'll bet the 241 is one of the more popular "get rid of the Deathwing" replacements on this forum. I'm in that group of Lemmings and pretty happy with it off-pavement.
Shouldn't be any concern about it. What are you trying to accomplish riding-wise... what type of riding are you doing that you'd own a fat-tire piggy like a TW that you'd want to go thin?
An xt225 is less big-boned than it's cousin TW and when I ride with my friends that own them I'm always amazed at what they can do under the worst sand & mud conditions with those skinny tires.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
One can always just pick up a complete used front end off a TTR or XT and swap out tire, rim, brakes, 36mm forks and triple trees. Run new 9 inches of travel with a high fender and fork tubes lowered in clamps a bit. Add a Blaster shock out back to raise rear and one will be amazed at the off-road improvement. This would yield similar long travel safety and plushness that Gerry built into the Mr.Gizmo bike that graces my garage. Your brakes will last longer since many obstacles do not require slowing down like we have to do with the OEM suspension.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I could put a different front end on the bike.
I wouldn't mind the 21" wheel. It would look like that kooks bike that rode his prototype TW to the North Pole. People and dirt bikes are miserable when they are forced to change into something that they aren't.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The "TW" that rode to the north pole was mostly a TY250 hybrid. It's part trials bike so I would guess that the front would be smaller then the average 250.

Last year a member here Helimech posted a TW with WR front and extended swing arm which I tested and thought it would be too big for tight trails with the longer wheel base. but I imagine a TTR or XT front should be a little smaller. The wheel size seemed ok though.

Are the XT TTR triple mounts compatible with the TW frame?
That would be cool.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
"Your brakes will last longer since many obstacles do not require slowing down like we have to do with the OEM suspension."... who does that...? :eek:

One can always just pick up a complete used front end off a TTR or XT and swap out tire, rim, brakes, 36mm forks and triple trees. Run new 9 inches of travel with a high fender and fork tubes lowered in clamps a bit. Add a Blaster shock out back to raise rear and one will be amazed at the off-road improvement. This would yield similar long travel safety and plushness that Gerry built into the Mr.Gizmo bike that graces my garage. Your brakes will last longer since many obstacles do not require slowing down like we have to do with the OEM suspension.

270 Posts
I am not familiar with a Shinko 761 designation.
Might you mean a Kenda K761?
If so I think their narrowest in an 18" rim is 110mm.:(
Anyways a narrower front tire does have merits.
You could get a Shinko 241 in a 2.75 x 18
The 241 in 2.75 is too tempting to resist, Fred! Think I’m going in!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts