TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many states have a Skyline Drive, but Utah has one of the highest.
From about 9000ft to almost 11000ft in elevation. Since I had to go over to Mt Pleasant, to get some work done on the van, I thought I would bring the tdub along and enjoy the cool mountain air.
The guys where I dropped off the van told me that there was still too much snow on Skyline Drive southbound, but I could ride north on it, so I proceeded north on U.S. 89 to Fairview then east on highway 31 and then north on Skyline Drive to the end at U.S. 6.
The next day when the van was finished and I loaded up the bike and headed back home I passed the southbound entrance of Skyline Drive and it was open after all.
I'm definitely going to go back and ride the southern portion, probably in early September, if anyone else wants to join me you're welcome.
Some people say it is the second best scenic dirt road in Utah, with the White Rim Trail being the first, I guess I'll see for myself in September.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Looks like you had a nice ride!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
I know many states have a Skyline Drive, but Utah has one of the highest.
From about 9000ft to almost 11000ft in elevation. Since I had to go over to Mt Pleasant, to get some work done on the van, I thought I would bring the tdub along and enjoy the cool mountain air.
The guys where I dropped off the van told me that there was still too much snow on Skyline Drive southbound, but I could ride north on it, so I proceeded north on U.S. 89 to Fairview then east on highway 31 and then north on Skyline Drive to the end at U.S. 6.
The next day when the van was finished and I loaded up the bike and headed back home I passed the southbound entrance of Skyline Drive and it was open after all.
I'm definitely going to go back and ride the southern portion, probably in early September, if anyone else wants to join me you're welcome.
Some people say it is the second best scenic dirt road in Utah, with the White Rim Trail being the first, I guess I'll see for myself in September.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm glad to see that it's open already, Bad Luck. it's been a pretty dry winter here.

I did the southern ride a couple years ago from Fairview to I-70 and back just before the first big snowstorm of the winter. It was a really long ride, but the scenery was well worth it. I was going to ride from Hwy 6 to I-70 and back in the next few weeks. Fall would be the best time, though. Here's a pic from my last ride.

20160920_105237.jpg

Sure love living in the west, Utah specifically!

20160920_123222.jpg

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice pictures Moabman, I wish I could have stayed a little longer and went down to I70 and back, but I didn't have time.
If I remember your up near SLC right?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've been wanting to ride that road for a while, but I haven't made it there yet. All of Utah is awesome.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the Provo area. I love to ride my TW, and thankfully, Utah has tons of different kinds of trails to choose from.
I'd love to ride Skyline again soon while it's still green instead of the fall colors. I might take my fly rod and see if I can get a grayling or two in one of the lakes up there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi Bob, where would you likely be camping in sept while there? this maybe possible for us to attend
Greg,
There are places all along Skyline drive to camp. I think your allowed to camp anywhere unless it's posted no camping.
It would be fun to meet up there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Skyline is doable in Freds Van if the roads are dry but there are many side jeep type roads some atv trails off the top. Lakes to fish. You can camp or drop down into some of the small towns like Manti to motel gas and Food. My vote is the Fall when the Aspens are changing colors. Mid September usually.....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Checked it out last night, looks nice with lots of FS roads to ride. At the junction of 31 and Skyline I saw a paved area, think it's a sno-park. Could camp there I imagine to base out of, myself I like dirt.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Checked it out last night, looks nice with lots of FS roads to ride. At the junction of 31 and Skyline I saw a paved area, think it's a sno-park. Could camp there I imagine to base out of, myself I like dirt.
hey Craig, it looks like there is a patch of dirt on the north end of the pavement. i think i saw your name on it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts