TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I’ve been doing a little carb work on my 2000 (bigger main and pilot, new gaskets etc) so I’ve had my carb out to inspect and clean. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to remove the slide to add a couple shims to the needle. I have looked all over for instructions specific to the needle on the older style carb. I did find a YouTube vid that shows an older carb, but the linkage between the slide and the throttle mechanism is different on my carb (metal vs plastic, less room to slide apart) Anyone have much experience tinkering on the old carb? I can pull it and take pictures if it helps clarify what I’m talking about. I feel like I’m missing something obvious.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I don’t remember all the details but I recall that it is a PIA. Remove the top black cap (2 screws). Then you have to disassemble the linkage to get the slide out through the top. There is a small c-clip or two, which is part of the PIA. This was years ago and I was going to document the process. But it was at that time that someone shared the fact that you can use the newer style carbs on the old bikes. And the cheap knockoffs would work so I scuttled all work on the old carbs.
In my opinion, if your old carb runs ok, it’s not worth the effort to do the shim mod. If it’s not operating properly, for $35 plus new carb boots I just replace them unless it’s something obvious and easy to repair. I even stopped ultrasonic cleaning them. Sounds lazy, but it was simple economics for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Do you have the old style carb or the new? I don't know the exact year they changed.

If it is the old style, what high speed jet is in it now and what are you replacing it with? Ditto for the pilot jet? If it is an older my personal experience is going richer makes it run worse. Let us know how it works out for you.

If I may borrow the picture, get a skinny screwdriver and remove the two screws where the arrows are pointing at the bottom of the slide. Then remove the screw that is circled. Or maybe I removed the circled one first -- I don't remember. Anyway, it should then all come apart.

Rustycarb.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don’t remember all the details but I recall that it is a PIA. Remove the top black cap (2 screws). Then you have to disassemble the linkage to get the slide out through the top. There is a small c-clip or two, which is part of the PIA. This was years ago and I was going to document the process. But it was at that time that someone shared the fact that you can use the newer style carbs on the old bikes. And the cheap knockoffs would work so I scuttled all work on the old carbs.
In my opinion, if your old carb runs ok, it’s not worth the effort to do the shim mod. If it’s not operating properly, for $35 plus new carb boots I just replace them unless it’s something obvious and easy to repair. I even stopped ultrasonic cleaning them. Sounds lazy, but it was simple economics for me.
It’s strange that the linkage is different in mine, the metal bracket that connects across the top on mine has two fingers and the posts that the clips would attach to go all the way through and there’s a spring in the center that connects the top arm to the lower piece that goes into the slide. In your pic the lower piece is the yellowish plastic part with two holes in it, on mine it’s metal and looks a lot like the upper arm. I’ll get some pics today just to show even if I leave it alone for now.

It runs really well aside from a little hiccup at about 1/4 throttle, usually when I’m just giving it a slight twist to maintain speed. Kind of feels like when you just start hitting reserve, doesn’t drop out, it just stumbles a little. No issue at all when off-road and all over the place with the throttle, just when cruising along. Opened up it pulls fine and responds as expected. I changed out the stock exhaust for the DG v2 as the exhaust that was on it before was for the 2002 and newer bracket so it didn’t quite line up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the old style carb or the new? I don't know the exact year they changed.

If it is the old style, what high speed jet is in it now and what are you replacing it with? Ditto for the pilot jet? If it is an older my personal experience is going richer makes it run worse. Let us know how it works out for you.

If I may borrow the picture, get a skinny screwdriver and remove the two screws where the arrows are pointing at the bottom of the slide. Then remove the screw that is circled. Or maybe I removed the circled one first -- I don't remember. Anyway, it should then all come apart.

View attachment 205751
It’s the old style pre-2001 slide style carb but maybe a slightly updated version from the oldest version? My linkage is just a little different but everything else is the same as far as I can tell. I went up one size on the main and one up on the pilot jet due to an exhaust swap but the issue existed with the old set up as well. I went from a 114 main to the pro-cycle equivalent to the next size up and from a 40 to a 42 pilot. Runs great with the new exhaust aside from the aforementioned stumble when cruising along at middle rpms.

I was going to try the two screws you’re pointing to down inside but was afraid the thing would explode into a pile of tiny little springs and clips. 😀

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I remember reading a thread that mentioned some linkages are plastic while others are metal. There are lots of little pieces and at least one spring if I recall. I wouldn’t let that stop you though just work in an open area where parts can’t scatter and get lost in carpet fibers (true story). Let us know how it goes. I have a few of these if you lose parts maybe I can get you what you need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember reading a thread that mentioned some linkages are plastic while others are metal. There are lots of little pieces and at least one spring if I recall. I wouldn’t let that stop you though just work in an open area where parts can’t scatter and get lost in carpet fibers (true story). Let us know how it goes. I have a few of these if you lose parts maybe I can get you what you need.
I have a new intake boot on order (engine side) as mine has a slight tear in the rubber. When I get that I’m going to pull the carb out again and give it a try. I have a couple other issues to look at so I’ll be working on the bike off and on this next few weeks. I appreciate the help all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts