TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 yr. old father in law has been having one health crisis after another for the last couple of yrs. but the last few weeks he has been doing pretty good. He's been after his daughter, my wife, to go to the local Polaris dealer so he can get a good look at a Slingshot. He has no intention of buying one, but just wanted to look. I got in touch with the dealership a few days earlier and arranged for a "surprise" test drive for a my father in law. That just made his day!

View attachment 183902

DSC09685.JPG

·
Registered
604 Posts
Very nice! With a capital "NICE!"

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So do those things go like a bat outa hell or what ?

Looks like fun!
It's 1,700 lbs. with 170 hp according to the salesman, so it moves along. Not a rocket ship but enough get up and go to make it a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The smile on the ol' boy's face is priceless!
Thanks for sharing the pic & vid and thanks a million for arranging that for him...I bet your wife has decided you are a keeper!
So...is he getting one for Christmas?
:D

PS - I am stealing that vid for my Facebook page...unless you ask me not to.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Thanks.
What is your F-I-L's name?
Has he ridden motorcycles?
What did he say about the ride?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.
What is your F-I-L's name?
Has he ridden motorcycles?
What did he say about the ride?
Jim. Rode motorcycle once as a young man, scared him. Thought the Slingshot was fun, but a little impractical.:D

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Impractical? Come on Scotti, surely you could make a rack for Jim hold his walker when he rides the Slingshot to the Senior Center to wow the ladies.
Getting him in and out was a bit of a chore.:D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If Jim thinks that motorcycle scared him, just wait til he gets that Slingshot sideways in a corner!
They are available with tops & side-curtains...

Or...I'll have this little gem for sale in a few months. For less than the Slingshot!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
No, 1959 MGA 1500 Roadster.
You were close, although they are not related.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I had a big yard sale this summer and my house is right along a favorite MC road that leads to the famed Hawk's Nest along the Delaware river and Route 97. I had perfect weather and millions of dollars worth of MCs stopped at my sale. On Sunday I had folks driving the Can Am Spyders stop and got to look them over, Not impressed. I had a couple stop on a Harley Trike and they sure did love it and it was a pretty cool ride for the elderly couple just out for a leisurely day ride. I had 2 Slingshots stop by and yes, they were pretty cool looking machines and did gather a crowd when they pulled in. One guy said he loved his and the other said he wished he had bought the Harley Trike instead. I think the one guy said he spent a bit over $20K on his Slingshot with some accessories but after a good look over I was not too impressed with any of the 3 wheeled bikes and just figure they are not my idea of motorcycles. The Spyders just looked rather awkward to me.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Here in Spokane where the roads are really not that good, we get wagon tracks or a gully in some streets caused by the rear wheels of cars over time leaving the road higher in the very middle. I've tried a Spyder as well as HD trikes here. I have friends that own them. On a standard trike the rear wheels settle into the wagon tracks and the bike tracks OK with the front wheel on the higher part of the road and it is controllable somewhat easily. On the Spyder with it's two wheels in front, the front tracks OK, but the rear single tire which is now on the higher part of the road wants to wander up and down the rise. You have to constantly correct it and it becomes a real pain in the A. Yeah they look cool and get a lot of attention, but I'll pass on one of those at least around here. It drove my friend crazy and he sold it at a huge loss just to get rid of it. Plus, you have to wear a helmet in one by law even though it is kind of a car...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The Spyder is a "3-wheeled motorcycle" with handlebars.
The Slingshot is a "3-wheeled car" with a steering wheel.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the great thing they both share is they keep folks on the road, in the breeze...smiling their wrinkled old arses off!
Folks that may have any number of reasons why motorcycles just don't/can't work for them anymore.

And...two forward wheels steering with one rear wheel driving is a pretty good setup, all things considered...traction-wise & handling wise.

From the "Way-Back Dept."...the British Morgan Cyclecar.

With a big-old JAP v-twin.

Modern "replicas" are being built with Hardly Abelson and Moto Guzzi Motors.
ACE Cyclecars in Spokane, WA is one builder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts