TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new to me '13 with 875 miles, 250 of which I logged and problem has been constant since I got it. I have read the clutch lever spring threads and it's as it should be. Problem is clutch slips when I try to wind up the Rpms. If I shift earlier it catches fine. No slipping.
Say I'm steady at 30 mph in 3rd gear. If I roll the throttle to wind it up to higher rpm the clutch slips. Same with any gear. It eventually stops slipping but it's like I'm holding the clutch lever until it catches.

So I changed oil today- used yamalube 10w-40 as the previous owner claims he did at 500 miles. Oil filter was not full of debris but had what I expect is normal amounts of metal shavings for its age.

So should I put a few miles on this new oil, drain, change again or should I pull the clutch basket and inspect/replace parts? I can't imagine the clutch being spent at the low mileage but I suppose one could cook a clutch if the conditions were right. Love the TW and love this forum. Thanks everyone.

'13 TW200
AT

Super Moderator
Brother Bentley, Did you do an oil change when you first got it? Is it any better since you changed the oil? Do you have a little free-play at the clutch lever? Is the pointer on the clutch push lever assembly pointing to the raised line on the top of the crankcase? The clutch cable is out of adjustment or the clutch is worn out or needs adjusting.
Have a new to me '13 with 875 miles, 250 of which I logged and problem has been constant since I got it. I have read the clutch lever spring threads and it's as it should be. Problem is clutch slips when I try to wind up the Rpms. If I shift earlier it catches fine. No slipping.
Say I'm steady at 30 mph in 3rd gear. If I roll the throttle to wind it up to higher rpm the clutch slips. Same with any gear. It eventually stops slipping but it's like I'm holding the clutch lever until it catches.

So I changed oil today- used yamalube 10w-40 as the previous owner claims he did at 500 miles. Oil filter was not full of debris but had what I expect is normal amounts of metal shavings for its age.

So should I put a few miles on this new oil, drain, change again or should I pull the clutch basket and inspect/replace parts? I can't imagine the clutch being spent at the low mileage but I suppose one could cook a clutch if the conditions were right. Love the TW and love this forum. Thanks everyone.

'13 TW200
AT

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brother Bentley, Did you do an oil change when you first got it? Is it any better since you changed the oil? Do you have a little free-play at the clutch lever? Is the pointer on the clutch push lever assembly pointing to the raised line on the top of the crankcase? The clutch cable is out of adjustment or the clutch is worn out or needs adjusting.
Thanks LT. It is still slipping after oil change today. Previous owner said he changed oil at 500 miles, had 6xx when I got it. Today is my first oil change. I adjusted cable at lever 200 miles ago. It was tight so I adjusted so that it has 1/2" to 3/4" of free play. I have not inspected pointer or line on crankcase. Will do that asap. Thanks again LT you rock!!

Oops! No excuse for my error but I'll toss one out there anyway. Return spring was not connected correctly!#!!! I read that thread before I even owned a TW, just revisited it and found my error. I was looking at the wrong end of the spring. Duh sorry to fill your forum with unnecessary posts. I fixed the spring and will go for a test ride now.

'13 TW200
AT

Registered
Add 3 ounces of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer. I bet the PO used car oil in it. I ran two bikes for years using car oil and the Lucas. It is worth a shot instead of changing clutches instantly. I still have the original clutches on the one bike as I got it. I only add the Lucas if it slips not even every oil change. My 2 cents worth. Many will say just change your clutches out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Add 3 ounces of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer. I bet the PO used car oil in it. I ran two bikes for years using car oil and the Lucas. It is worth a shot instead of changing clutches instantly. I still have the original clutches on the one bike as I got it. I only add the Lucas if it slips not even every oil change. My 2 cents worth. Many will say just change your clutches out.
Thanks Ken! That sounds better than replacing clutch!

Turns out I'm a dumbass. Return spring was not attached as it should be. Fixed that and just went for test ride- all is well now.

Next project I'll see how I badly I can muck up adjusting the pilot screw. ;) thanks again LT and Ken, sorry to use forum space and your time with my mistake.

Super Moderator
We're here to help our fellow man brother Bentley, besides, I kinda like you...haha. Just holler anytime bro, we'll do our best. I would reduce that free-play a tiny bit. It's probably fine the way you have it adjusted, I just adjust it enough so the lever is loose a tiny bit and verifying that it is indeed engaged all the way. Enjoy that bike bro!! :D
Thanks Ken! That sounds better than replacing clutch!

Turns out I'm a dumbass. Return spring was not attached as it should be. Fixed that and just went for test ride- all is well now.

Next project I'll see how I badly I can muck up adjusting the pilot screw. ;) thanks again LT and Ken, sorry to use forum space and your time with my mistake.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
We're here to help our fellow man brother Bentley, besides, I kinda like you...haha. Just holler anytime bro, we'll do our best. I would reduce that free-play a tiny bit. It's probably fine the way you have it adjusted, I just adjust it enough so the lever is loose a tiny bit and verifying that it is indeed engaged all the way. Enjoy that bike bro!! :D
Thx!! Took another test ride, more like my first real ride since I've owned it. Now I can wind it up a bit. Fun thing about it is I can redline 1st three gears and barely be speeding. Sounds like I'm going really fast but not so much. I can see how you guys get hooked on the TW.

'13 TW200
AT

Registered

'13 TW200
AT
Me too me too!
Going to try new clutch springs...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
On the note of redlining. This morning, approaching a light, wobbling to not put my feet down, light turns green and I'M off in the lead
I hit my comfortable 50 mph then the vet finally catches up with me and blows by me. It's funny how quick they are while being so slow. The TW is fun.

Registered
As they say, "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow."
We spent the last 5 days with the tent trailer on an awesome island near here, Grand Manan. Awesome scenery, tons of deserted beaches, and a pile of roads that lead to small (hopefully trout-filled) lakes and ponds. Saw ATV trails all over the place. Found a nice little secluded cottage on a cliff that we decided to rent for a week next year for our 25th anniversary. "So, hmm...since we won't be pulling the tent trailer next year...we could put the TW on the trailer and bring it along...right?" "Yes dear....."
I just got the green light to bring the TW and fishing gear along on our anniversary trip!! Woot! She's a keeper. Now if I could just get her on a bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts