TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever wonder how those beautiful sandstone slot canyons get made? Carved so deep and narrow? Polished so smooth with convoluted curves and twists?

This is Lower Antelope Canyon just outside Page,AZ. Both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons are absolutely spectacular and worth a special visit (when dry). Plus admission fees go to the Navajos and that aint bad. th-6.jpeg th-7.jpeg th-8.jpeg

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
" Damn nature, You scary!"

Brian Fellows

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Scary part is you can be climbing in a canyon and the water shows up as a 12-foot tall wall moving 60mph, and no warning because the storm that dumped the water rained itself out 30 minutes ago 25 miles away.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons; th-2.jpeg th-3.jpeg th.jpeg Amazing places, colors are true to life th-4.jpeg th-5.jpeg

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While nothing like the shown video I was once unfortunate enough to get caught up in a desert flash flood in a sandy Texan arroyo and I feel extremely lucky to have survived. Seriously dangerous stuff.
But I do recogmend the Antelope Canyons for anyone in the Page, AZ area since they are so easy to visit. Upper is guided, flat and spacious inside. The Lower canyon is tight, self guided with a more intimate feel requiring a bit of scrambling. Not for the claustrophobic. For those who like their colorful sandstone in the open I recommend The Wave. th-10.jpeg th-9.jpeg

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've watched the 60 mile away storm water come through in Nevada. Would not want to be down in the wash for nothing.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yup! Dangerous for sure to be in the wrong place. Driving cross country back in 1970 we came over a mountain near Flagstaff, AZ and could see a big rain storm ahead. By the time we got in to Flagstaff it was a major flood zone. Luckily the highway patrol stopped us miles out of town and held us up for 4 hours while the waters subsided. Unlike here where we have trees, streams and creeks that slow and direct the rain waters to predetermined paths you guys get storms that make their own routes and have nowhere to go but down hill and unbelievably fast. I would want to live high on a hill and would also study the geography before building my house out there.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ive always wanted to go to antelope caverns... peek a boo and spooky gulch are just outside of Escalante Utah off of the hole in the rock road and they are free if you can hike a little.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
the little guys really like walking through the narrow slots. Not as pretty as antelope but it was still a hoot. It would be best to go in the middle of the day when the sun is shining straight down like in the antelope pics.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beautifull slot canyon shots small's, There are so many little slot canyons to explore there, makes them special when you discover alone with your family. I focused on Antelope Canyon since the video show water flowing over the top and totally filling slot where one normally walks 10 to 20 feet below surface. Antelope is managed, charges fee, and is tourist accessible. We visited both in the late morning with sun overhead generating the spectacular beams of sunlight and warm colors. Nature can be both beautifull and dangerous.
Another of nature's mix of beauty and risk I enjoy are natural hot springs. Some are scaldingly hot. Last weekend north of here in the Black Rock desert a man trying to rescue his dog who had fallen into Double Springs fell in himself. Both are seriously burnt, prognosis is not good. Recent earthquake swarms in the Owens Valkey are altering hot spring temps there recently. What were formerly safe pools can be dangerously hot.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Distant rains can cut ruts across a road dozens of miles from where it rained. Ride one day, think you know the road, and coming home an hour later there are ditches that will break forks and necks. Don't fear hunting slots, just be aware and pay attention, and if you hear a rumble, it's probably water moving somewhere, so get the heck out immediately.

My favorite bath tub is a sandstone washout that catches warm spring runoff. I think I've mentioned the time the naked hotties walked an arm's length away while I was showering in the outflow. I don't like soap and shampoo in the pool itself because it stains the sandstone.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Distant rains can cut ruts across a road dozens of miles from where it rained. Ride one day, think you know the road, and coming home an hour later there are ditches that will break forks and necks. Don't fear hunting slots, just be aware and pay attention, and if you hear a rumble, it's probably water moving somewhere, so get the heck out immediately.

My favorite bath tub is a sandstone washout that catches warm spring runoff. I think I've mentioned the time the naked hotties walked an arm's length away while I was showering in the outflow. I don't like soap and shampoo in the pool itself because it stains the sandstone.
The soap will also tip off the naked ladies that they are not alone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts