TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cool little Yamaha I saw in Mexico a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Apparently too sensible to sell here. Same basic 125 motor sold worldwide in a number of platforms but as far as I know only available in the TTR and one little quad here.

Some of the cops and local delivery guys were riding them in Rosarita a few years ago. Never seen one that wasn't white til now.

Its big brother is the YBR250 and has the same fuel injected 250 as the XT250.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bet my CB125 could take it

I'd like to figure out where all the 2 stroke street bikes went, while we're at it.

They went the way of leaded gas and x-ray machines in shoe stores. The two stroke is loud, inefficient, and leaves a cloud of blue smoke behind you that lingers in the air to choke asthmatics and the elderly. Needless to say, I love them with a passion. The engines are light and easy to work on, so they were ideal for light bikes and scooters, and since they don't have an oil pan, they are still ideal for machines that are used at different angles (chainsaws and weed whackers et al.).

Basically, pressure from almost everyone but the riders forced manufacturers to stop making them (for use in this and most other countries).

The power to weight ratio is so good that they still make dirt bikes and snow machines with 2 strokes, but I wouldn't be surprised if those are outlawed in the next 10 years. I'd have to check, but I think 2-stroke outboard motors are even illegal to use or buy in many places.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Apparently too sensible to sell here. Same basic 125 motor sold worldwide in a number of platforms but as far as I know only available in the TTR and one little quad here.

Some of the cops and local delivery guys were riding them in Rosarita a few years ago. Never seen one that wasn't white til now.

Its big brother is the YBR250 and has the same fuel injected 250 as the XT250.

There are several big reasons bikes like that are popular in many other countries, but not here (by "here" I mean the United States): 1.) in many countries one can get a small motorcycle license earlier and/or easier than a car license (whereas here it's the opposite: you have to get an endorsement for motorcycles--obviously there are exceptions in some states for two wheeled vehicles of certain engine size). 2.) Fuel prices (especially historically) were much cheaper in the States than in many other countries (I have no idea what the fuel prices are like now, but Europeans used to pay about the same amount per liter what we'd pay per gallon). 3.) The unemployment/underemployment rate (particularly amongst the young) is and has been very high in many other countries, so a much higher percentage of young people simply could not afford a car (but might be able to afford a small bike that gets 80 MPG). 4.) Parking. Anyone who has rented a car in Europe soon wishes he was on a motorcycle. 5.) The American highway system has simply pushed the trend for bigger machines that can go fast in a straight line (this is also why Europeans and island dwellers rant about how American car companies never make anything that makes turning fun).

Add all these factors up and it simply doesn't make sense for a company to market a broad line of motorcycles with small, efficient engines. Of course, you can convince more people to buy TW's and maybe they'll change their minds.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
They went the way of leaded gas and x-ray machines in shoe stores. The two stroke is loud, inefficient, and leaves a cloud of blue smoke behind you that lingers in the air to choke asthmatics and the elderly. Needless to say, I love them with a passion. The engines are light and easy to work on, so they were ideal for light bikes and scooters, and since they don't have an oil pan, they are still ideal for machines that are used at different angles (chainsaws and weed whackers et al.).

Basically, pressure from almost everyone but the riders forced manufacturers to stop making them (for use in this and most other countries).

The power to weight ratio is so good that they still make dirt bikes and snow machines with 2 strokes, but I wouldn't be surprised if those are outlawed in the next 10 years. I'd have to check, but I think 2-stroke outboard motors are even illegal to use or buy in many places.

The first time I looked at a motorcycle lovingly, it was a KE100 leaned up against a shed. Best I know, that was the last street legal two stroke in the states. Now, I'd love to have something like a GT380 sitting around. Just all kinds of cool there.

However, KTM is still advancing two stroke technology. As far as history goes, it's something that should've been furthered. We could say the same about electric cars, but that's another history lesson.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first bike was a KE125 (78). Was alot of fun but decided after it died no more 2 strokes. Got tired of changing/cleaning fouled spark plugs. It was quick and has been my only new bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts