TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Smaller front wheel and tire

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Borneo 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am new owner just got mine last week. Please don't ask why (I already got berated enough for asking at the dealership) but I am looking for a smaller front wheel for reasons of my own (I am a short a$$ mofo :) ). I have spent most of my riding time on very short bikes like the CT70 and Honda Grom.

I would like to make the front end ride lower more than what I can do with the stock risers alone. So, anyone have ideas on how I can swap out the current front tire for a smaller one? Particularly, which smaller wheel(s) exactly I can use.

Thanks

happy noob!!

Norman

#3 ·
Welcome Norm. Somebody with some actual knowledge will be along soon. I am relegated to the welcoming committee since I know squat:D

Tom

#5 ·
Wow, zero responses on old post. Normally we have more help to offer Norm. Big welcome anyways.
Have you lowered your triple clamps so that more of fork tube sticks out the top? You could get a quick inch of drop in the front that way however it will steepen rake a bit. More rake quickens steering feel at expense of high speed stability. That inch of fork drop also means almost an inch of lost fork travel before fender hits bottom clamp. If you plan to hit the hard bumps keep 6 inches clearance between fender and lower clamp to allow full 6 inch fork travel.

Reactions: littletommy
#6 ·
You could probably raise the front forks a inch or so without much handling difference.

Reactions: Fred
#10 ·
The rear can be lowered by drilling a new hole to relocate the shock bolt. Free, but quite a bit of labor getting to it. Front forks can be slide in the trees to lower that end.

For a shorter front tire you'll need to lace up a smaller diameter rim with some custom spokes. Not a job for amateurs, but that's the best way to get any significant drop from tire size. All else being equal, 1 inch less rim diameter will drop the front 1/2 inch.

If memory serves Duro makes a 130/90-16 that will make a dandy dualsport tire that will work well. That will drop the front end about 1 1/2 inch and allow that much more fork slide is the fender is remounted lower or moved up to the triple tree.

If you end up dropping the front 3 1/2 inches total, you'll need a shorter rear shock, so check the early 600cc crotch rockets for a shorter shock that fits. Instructions on the better rear shock threads.

#13 · (Edited)
So please forgive my ignorance on this as I know about as much on motorcycle wheels as I know about 4th century Chinese philosophers...In regards to the front wheel only, I would have to remove the center axle with the brake disc from the stock wheel, buy custom spokes then lace them to the Duro 130/90-16?

Is this correct? I could not find wheel, tire, spoke and center axle/sprocket sold together assembled...does such a thing not exist? Again sorry if you're reading this and saying to yourself "this guy is an idiot", but I really don't see why I can't buy a full tire spokes and all, then swap it out for the old one? Just like a bicycle tire minus the brake.... What am I missing on this?

Thanks Norman

#11 ·
Check out posts by "Tiny wheel" up in Alaska From his amazing videos it
would appear he grafted on a smaller front wheel. Might be worth a PM
He's probably too busy ice skating to be reading forum stuff right now.

#14 ·
No direct bolt on's. A smaller diameter wheel you'll need a way to either use existing brake and axle or come up with a new brake and spacers. So to eliminate a lot of custom parts Id try to fine a rim then have it laced to existing hub with custom spokes. Actually Id keep stock and lower bike by other means. I'm short and have short legs plus only left ankle has any flex. I'm happy with stock height. But my TW actually grew about an inch. I bought it with nearly bald tires so new rubber raised it some. Then I installed a different tank that raised the seat a smudge too. I'd shave seat, lower forks, and play with rear shock before changing front wheel. But that's just my way many others out there.

#15 ·
Correct. Original hub and brake stays. New spokes, smaller rim, tire, tub and rim strip. I've done this with many bikes with 21-inch front tires to keep the ride height the same when going to wider front tires. This is very common when setting up a dirt bike for flat track racing.

I agree with Padilen, I'd try every other option before going to a shorter tire due to cost.

#16 ·
If you dig a little you might be able to find the information Rhodetrip put about lowering both of his wifes TW's. I have seen it first hand and works. He put a different shock in the rear(not sure which one), lowered the forks in the triple clamps and cut some of the foam out of the seat. The bike is much lower than stock.

How tall are you? knowing that might help us make some suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.