TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually going to get a smart phone! Being more of a K.I.S.S. type of guy and, this is a big step into the tech world. I plan on using a GPS app and want to hold the phone securely on the bars. I'm already using a RAM mount for my eTex 10, are the RAM mounts they have for smart phones a good choice or is there something better? I'm a little concerned about the vibes killing the phone prematurely, is this a valid concern? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I did a cheapo ram mount from Amazon for my iPhone. Phones are so rediculously expensive, I get your concern. I’ve never had a problem with mine and I’m in heavy pothole territory. You could add the protection plan for your phone through your provider. If it breaks, they replace it with a refurbished phone, but you pay a deductible. Some think the protection plans are something of a ripoff. Unless you have teenage kids.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did an expensive mount by Hondo Garage called the Perfect Squeeze. I feel it's the best one out and the last one you'll buy, until phones become too big to fit it. It takes a little to move it between bikes, but that's not a problem for me. All machined aluminum and stainless, no plastic. There's a promo code on the advrider web site if you do a search through some phone mount threads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the Perfect Squeeze passes the Moab test, I'd say it's a go flight.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I use this Ram X to hold my IPhone 8 on both of my TWs, but they are not perfect. First off they work perfect to keep your smart phone in sight and readily accessible.

6AA9CFC4-9FD3-4A0B-BE09-B1C8FF3C0EAE.jpeg

Here’s what I learned the hard way. You must use the tether for added security because the wind behind the phone can blow it off the mount which happened to me at 70 MPH.
When you receive and install the mount make sure you use the super glue in the kit to secure the feet. My original Ram X didn’t come with super glue and I lost one of my rubber feet.
I haven’t figured out a solution for when it’s raining. I tried yesterday putting my iPhone in a plastic sandwich bag but that didn’t work.
I rode 42 miles yesterday in the pouring rain and I needed my GPS to get to my destination. I wanted to take all backroads and since I had to put my phone in my pocked I couldn’t access it everytime my GPS said “There is a faster route, do you want to ignore, press Ignore ’. Of course I couldn’t get to my phone so I had to stop three times to change back to the backroad route.
My Ram X has rocked out Green Ridge every year so as far as vibration I think it passes that test.

0226AB0E-AA98-4463-8420-3C5E93E1F957.jpeg

·
Registered
350 Posts
Perfect Squeeze Off-Road Phone Mount -only $122.49 but it comes with free shipping.
I admit it's pricey, but some of these phones are priced up close to a $1000. now.
I lost a phone last year. That's when I thought an expensive mount might be worth it. I've since decided not to use an expensive phone on the bikes.
But I now use a cheap rugged kyocera phone just for navigation, so if I do lose it I'm only out about $30. And these phones can take getting rained on, or even a dunking underwater, not to mention a drop doesn't seem to hurt at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm running a quadlock case on my bike. What I like is part of the mount acts a case for the phone when not locked on to a mount, and you can move it between mounts in various vehs. The mount/case mounting method is very secure, and there almost no likelyhood that I can see it failing. It also has a "poncho" avail to keep your device dry. Unfortunately, I don't have my bike with me, but here is a link to the company:

https://www.quadlockcase.ca

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a quadlock case on my bike. What I like is part of the mount acts a case for the phone when not locked on to a mount, and you can move it between mounts in various vehs. The mount/case mounting method is very secure, and there almost no likelyhood that I can see it failing. It also has a "poncho" avail to keep your device dry. Unfortunately, I don't have my bike with me, but here is a link to the company:

https://www.quadlockcase.ca
I really like it...but they don't have one specific to my phone, Google Pixel 2 XL.:(

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
ill put another vote in for the perfect squeeze. Is not cheap but its all metal and made in USA, its engineered very well. I have one on my TW, the GF's TW and on my Multistrada. I have had mine over 2 years now and i have zero complaints, they have worked perfect both on road and off.

Here is a write up i did on it a while back..
https://tdubbin.wordpress.com/2016/10/25/product-review-hondo-garage-perfect-squeeze/

FWIW, its cheaper ordering direct from Hondo garage than it is off amazon by like 30 bucks. They also sell it with a m8 mount kit for the triple clamps and with a 1" ram ball. They also sell a vibration isolator which may be a great idea to prevent damage to the camera. I have experienced a camera failure on my phone after an extended ride on my Ducati so it does indeed happen. That bike has a lot of vibes and after a 15 hour day in the saddle the camera had a case of the permanent shakes. I plan of buying some of those isolator deals although on the TW i feel its less of an issue mounted to a ram ball like it have it, on the Ducati its mounted to the triple tree and it gets a lot more vibes.

I have used other mounts in the past. I had a waterproof "tough case" that i really liked but it every time they changed phone form factors i had to get a new one. That got old real fast.... I also had a Ram X grip
( also before they came out with the elastic thing) and i lost my Iphone 6 on the freeway that got obliterated by an 18 wheeler. That was a $900 ouch since the phone was practically brand new. After that incident i cant trust it any more on a bike even with the elastic. I love RAM products, have therm all over the boat and my bikes in other capacities but the X grip was not a winner for me. These days i use it whenever i travel for business in a rental car. I got a suction cup and a long arm and it works great for that use but never again on a bike.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Rockform mount works wonderful. Have them for Harley TW200 and a couple mountain bikes. Have ordered with them direct and with a bit of GTS ...google that stuff ...can find 20% discount.

Have cases for almost all phones and find them protective and not too bulky

Cheers

Gumby

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, vibes are a concern. I've had a couple phones that developed an issue with the camera after a few rides in a RAM mount on the (relatively) vibey TW and even my Scout. The focus got all jacked up, so the picture is all squiggly and it makes an audible buzz noise whenever the camera is on. Gluing a tiny neodynium magnet near the camera housing fixed it for me (just move it around until you find the right spot where it comes back in focus). Verizon replaced my phone twice on warranty, but now it's crapped out again outside of warranty, so I just went the magnet route which seems to work for now. Some phones seem more vulnerable to this than others, and newer generations of phones are increasingly rugged and IPX certified to resist water, vibration, ect, so it's an issue I expect is the exception rather than the norm, and likely to diminish further in time.

Ram mounts work fine, and yes make sure you use the rubber tether if your travels are going to take you much past 55 or so. Also, always use the tether if it's raining, even a light mist "lubed up" the rubber grippers enough my phone squirted right out on a bump and skittered down the road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've tried many mounts for my TW and my 1200GS, but finally have the magic formula:
- iPhone 8+ in a LifeProof case
- Perfect Squeeze mount from Hondo (as mentioned by many already)
- Buzz Kill vibration isolator, also by Hondo
- Bolt this to a RAM ball mount
- RAM mount onto the handlebars

I rode with this on my Mighty TW at March Moto Madness this year. We did many miles on the nastiest washboard and pot hole gravel road I've been on. It shook my plastic tool tubes off my rear rack. The phone survived without a problem. I have another buddy who mounted his iPhone too rigidly to his thumper bars and it destroyed his camera!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot to also add ...this works well with phone mount and our TW bikes. Wonderboom speaker for Bluetooth music and verbal directions in maps. I enjoy the prompts verbal vs visual. I have some Sena headsets but like these little guys. Connect easy, can add additional ones in chain. Actually got idea from friend helping him reposition his sailboat to Bahamas. Battery is rechargeable and seems to last hours upon hours ....more than a 6 hour night watch with continuous use.

Our TW are so quiet we can easily hear these with helmet on and is a wonderful addition to a lunch / picnic on the beach.

Found at Costco sold in pairs recall around a 100.00

Have purchased several as great gifts for kids/adults alike after they hear and see how easy seems they always want one.

Wonderboom Ultimate ears.

No affiliation, I’m a retired Air Traffic Controller.

Have a great day .....like the duct tape one so far...myself +1

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts