TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
who, in the western U.S.A. has clean air today. i mean no smoke. it is so bad here today, that it looks like winter outside. it's 9:30 am and it's still dark out and smells like someone pissed on the campfire. we are headed down south tomorrow on holidays and was hoping for some clean air and blue sky. is there any, anywhere?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Worst in Southern Idaho that it has been all summer....and the closest fire is 7 or so miles away..

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
May you have clear air on your travels. Smoke in western Nevada a bit better this morning than last night when stars and Preside meteors were faint imaginations.
Wind direction more than any extinguished blazes will affect visibility as these fires are expected to smolder for weeks if not months to come.:(

Getting anywhere near Reno? Want to ride Sierra Buttes with us?
We're heading for the lookout for the view, just a few stairs to climb, something like 260. stairs.jpg
We'll camp in the lowlands in far distance and ride the ridges and visit a couple of fire lookouts and a handful of alpine lakes. SB lookout.jpg Hopefully thes moke won't be so thick we won't trip over any big gold nuggets. sign.jpg

·
Registered
604 Posts
Northeast Nevada touches southern Idaho, so, same report here. Smokey nasty pissed out campfire smell here too. Clearer in the morning, but as the day progresses it gets worse. I'm six miles from the base of the Ruby Mtns. and I can't see them.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the invite Fred. you never know where we will end up. if Reno is the only place without smoke, then we will be there. a few years ago the rains chased us from the north end of the Grand Canyon all the way to Beatty,( cool town) 710.jpg north of Las Vegas. last year the tow truck took me to Fallon for the week end, so you never know where we end up going. the picture i posted reminds me of visting the Admirals's home 281.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just got back from a 50 mile ride along the eastern base of the Rubies. Today it didn't get worse, it actually improved. The smell was hardly noticeable, or I've somehow become immune to it, and when I got home I could see the mountains. Maybe it heard you were travelling south and is starting to clear up just for your holiday. And if that's the case, next summer holiday all season so we might have a wildfire free summer. Wouldn't that be a miracle.
I know a family from Beatty, they are BeATty $#!+ crazy.
Good journey Sir.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back from a 50 mile ride along the eastern base of the Rubies. Today it didn't get worse, it actually improved. The smell was hardly noticeable, or I've somehow become immune to it, and when I got home I could see the mountains. Maybe it heard you were travelling south and is starting to clear up just for your holiday. And if that's the case, next summer holiday all season so we might have a wildfire free summer. Wouldn't that be a miracle.
I know a family from Beatty, they are BeATty $#!+ crazy.
Good journey Sir.
good to hear. wouldn't it be nice to have a summer with no smoke, i guess when all the trees and grass are burnt, we will. fires are getting worse every summer up here. i can't believe the people in Beatty are any crazier than the folks around here. one place out that way that i would like to spend a couple of days at, is Goldfield, now that place has character

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
When the wind blows in off the ocean it is really beautiful! Clear blue skies, cool temps, and can see forever. Other days there is a grayish haze in the sky and daytime temps are on the extra warm side.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was in Mammoth yesterday on the tail end of a mountain biking trip and it was pretty smoky out. Here's a shot from middle of the day.

Mammoth smoke.jpg

·
Registered
839 Posts
was out on the western slope of the Sierra (East of Sacramento) and the views were clear - could change with the wind direction, but a nice break.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Looks like we're supposed to get a little rain the next couple of days. Hopefully it just washes down some of the sky filth, and lightning doesn't cause anymore wildfires. Been a hot dry summer and a good deluge would be most welcomed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Need rain? Come to Jersey! Living in my place for 16 years now, never had standing water in my basement... but Saturday :(

Hope nobody lost anything with all those fires out west and south! Looks pretty bad from here....
weather.jpg

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I haven't noticed any smoke at all up here in the pnw. It is here though. The sun was glowing red lastnight an hour before sunset. Just noticed the moon setting and it is red also. It is just a sliver now and will be a bit higher tomorrow. Is nice to look at, but knowing it is caused by smoke in the atmosphere causes concern. California has sure been on my mind along with all the TW friends that live there. It has taken too many folks as it is.

After the above note, I was watching the local news. We have smoke above us and below us. Seems it is coming out of British Columbia along with some fires on the east side of our state. With so much news about Cal, I didn't know Washington had any. Just lucky to be in that small place between the smoke where it is not so heavy.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The smoke finally got to us but the west wind has cleared us out now. Do hope they get these fires under control, but I can't imagine it will happen till late Sept when it starts to cool down.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Clear and beautiful yesterday. No Smoke in sight. Now it's raining, hopefully washing the rest of it away. Hopefully you all are getting some much needed rain as well to help with the fires. (fingers crossed) No lightning strikes no lightning strikes.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
We did have 1 day last week mostly clear but otherwise it's been smokey for weeks. Here is a picture heading east from out place yesterday morning. Usually, you can see the Boise Mtns. in the distance. Heck, this morning you can see the smoke down low and close.

This picture was taken in June taken not far from the above picture. These are the mountains you can usually see. Unfortunately, in the above picture, this has turned into our normal view in summer. Didn't used to be this way as much or as long.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts