TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes. pork shoulder is great because of all the fat, it is pretty hard to get it wrong. Low and slow.

TexGX
Ditto this!

I use a remote meat thermometer...
Watch for that 195deg internal temperature of the meat! Gotta get there for the tender pull apart for pulled pork.

Low slow, my temperature that I try to maintain is about 225-240. A 17lb or so pork roast will take me about 12 hrs.

I only smoke with chips for about 1 hr in the beginning.

I do use a water tray.

I have used all kinds of smokers, Electric, charcoal and propane. Preference is propane.

Big Chief's, Little Chiefs I have found do not get up to temperature thus a LLLLOOONNNGGGG time.

My favorite smoker of all time is this one.

The Pro's:
The water tray fits the walls so fat drippings do not make the way down to the flame area.
The smoker chip tray is fits the walls also.
Temp control is pretty easy unless the wind is blowing...

Cons: Only comes with 2 meat racks.

41n8EwjHePL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Stainless-Adjustable-Shelves/dp/B000UJAZGK/ref=zg_bs_553774_65

I always put Aluminum foil in the water tray to keep from making a mess of the water tray...

After I am through cooking I quickly put the racks in the dish washer and do a wash I do not allow the washer to dry the racks... I remove the racks and clean any residual meat from them.
Sometimes they come out perfect.

Jim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Smoked a Deer ham Wednesday for about 6 hours. Turned out lovely. Our smoker is a homemade unit (sorry I don't have picture) made from 2 air compressors. One is (the larger one) upright with adjustable racks on a rotisserie and the fire box is a smaller one turned on its side. Pork shoulders are one of my favorites to throw in for a day long cooking. Hard to go wrong

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm getting better at it. My pork and ribs are really good. My beef short ribs are outstanding, but I still don't have a handle on the brisket. Right now I am reading a book called "Franklin Barbecue a Meat Smoking Manifesto". I am only 50 pages in but am learning a lot.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Pork butt, beef short ribs, hot sausage and mild sausage all in the smoker now. I wish I had gotten them in earlier but its not a perfect world. You are right on about the thermometer, we have the Thermopen. Now all day my house will smell of my wife's barbecue sauce simmering....perfect.

This is the recipe that my wife uses. She got it years ago when the local Boy Scout Troop put together a cook book with a recipe from each of their parents. (She just divulged this information today, I did not know that, I think she felt guilty about me calling it her recipe.)

1 t salt
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C dark brown sugar
3 C beef stock
1/2 C mustard
1/4 C white vinegar
1/8 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 C worstershire
1 C tomato paste
1 T chili powder
1 t hot sauce
Mix and simmer for at least 2 hours but longer if you have time.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks I'm going to try this.That seems like a lot of liquid smoke though.The stuff I have a few drops go a long way.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pork butt, beef short ribs, hot sausage and mild sausage all in the smoker now. I wish I had gotten them in earlier but its not a perfect world. You are right on about the thermometer, we have the Thermopen. Now all day my house will smell of my wife's barbecue sauce simmering....perfect.

This is the recipe that my wife uses. She got it years ago when the local Boy Scout Troop put together a cook book with a recipe from each of their parents. (She just divulged this information today, I did not know that, I think she felt guilty about me calling it her recipe.)

1 t salt
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C dark brown sugar
3 C beef stock
1/2 C mustard
1/4 C white vinegar
1/8 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 C worstershire
1 C tomato paste
1 T chili powder
1 t hot sauce
Mix and simmer for at least 2 hours but longer if you have time.
That is something I am going to try with my next baby backs and pork roast.

I usually use a dry rub that is semi homemade.

Pappy's low sodium based.

Thanks for sharing,

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Forgot to ask, do you put this on during smoking?

Do you use wood chips to smoke with and then add this sauce with the liquid smoke?

I use the rub and smoke with Alder, Cherry and a bit of apple.

Jim

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Dammit, that was an 1/8 of a tsp. I'li edit the post I will also have her check to see if I messed up anything else. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't add sauce to mine. I use a rub on just about everything and sauce when on my plate. We have put it on pork ribs while smoking but right at the end.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I once built a smokehouse. It worked great, used alder for smoking salmon. I went into the backyard to look for something and it looked like a tornado had hit the place. My smokehouse was totally disintegrated. Seems my son needed some boards for traps he was making for the compartment kids as he call them, "ones that lived in an apartment house". He was a bit over 4 at the time. What could I do but laugh lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts