TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will changing to synthetic oil make them shift smoother/easier?. I currently run 10-40 yamalube. I only ride off-road and rarely get above 40 mph. it has almost 13000 miles on it , seems kind of clunky seems smoother at higher rpm on the road. I was thinking of yamalube synthetic, or amsoil. thank you.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Synthetic oil will make your engine and transmission last longer and run better....period.

As for "clunky" shifting, check your clutch adjustments as per the manual. Your shifting will also suffer if there is too much free-play in the chain...or not enough...in other words, chain tension plays a part in the ease of shifting. Therefore, having worn sprockets or chain will affect it as well.

But yeah....these transmission are quite "clunky".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Synthetic oil will make your engine and transmission last longer and run better....period.

As for "clunky" shifting, check your clutch adjustments as per the manual. Your shifting will also suffer if there is too much free-play in the chain...or not enough...in other words, chain tension plays a part in the ease of shifting. Therefore, having worn sprockets or chain will affect it as well.

But yeah....these transmission are quite "clunky".
thank you, i will change over.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well,
This same topic's been discussed a few zillion times on other motorcycle forums. One in particular, a Honda Goldwing forum and, of yet, no real confirmation that there is any better shifting, clutch operations, engine wear patterns etc, using syn oil vs dino oil. There's just too many variables to apply. But, in the TW, you're only talking a single quart of oil so, no harm in trying.
Scott

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I thought my TW shifting was clunky for a long time. I think it takes a long time until the gears are worn together, seated, mated or whatever you want to call it. If you want to see how smooth it really is, go ride a Honda and then come back and ride the TW. My Shadow clunks real hard going in from neutral and isn't nearly as buttery smooth shifting as either one of my Yamahas.

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
As Ken suggests, there are worse bikes out there for “crunching” into gear, but every bike has its idiosyncrasies, and the TW is no exception. After a while, you get used to the bike and its habits (the forks can “clunk” as much as the gearbox), and you soon learn to change your riding habits accordingly to minimise the effects

In my experience of running synthetic in the TW, it’s “butter smooth”, but only for the first 1500 miles. Though as been said, what’s a quart between friends ? ……

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
from personal experience, i found my TW shifted a hell of alot smoother after changing to synthetic oil!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Even if the synth does nothing for the smoothness of the transmission...just use it for all the other benefits: increased lubricity, longer oil life, cooler-running engine, superior shear resistance, superior heat resistance, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input. purple, I know what you mean about the clunky forks. I always look down to see if something is loose.im going to change it to synthetic for all the benefits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
will changing to synthetic oil make them shift smoother/easier?. I currently run 10-40 yamalube. I only ride off-road and rarely get above 40 mph. it has almost 13000 miles on it , seems kind of clunky seems smoother at higher rpm on the road. I was thinking of yamalube synthetic, or amsoil. thank you.
Use Golden Spectro motorcycle oil for better shifting every thousand miles and change or clean all of the oil filters also.
Drain the carburetor float bowl (water in the fuel) as needed, probably monthly or when the MC runs poorly.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
..... Purple, I know what you mean about the clunky forks.....
The first thing to look at if your forks clunk is whether you have the correct oil level in them. If you are 180-200 lbs. it should be about 130 mm from the top after removing spacers and springs and compressing forks all the way.....NOT 150 mm where most TW's are set at the factory.

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
Seat of pants subjective observations are what I go by:
1) Synthetic Mobil 4T engine oil make my TWs seem to shift easier.
2) Clunk does seem to go away with fork oil set as Rocky states. Have not tried synthetic fork oil yet, just old fashioned 10W dinosaur sauce.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use Golden Spectro motorcycle oil for better shifting every thousand miles and change or clean all of the oil filters also.
Drain the carburetor float bowl (water in the fuel) as needed, probably monthly or when the MC runs poorly.
Use the heaviest weight Yamaha recommended oil for the local temperatures (Golden Spectro 10 / 50 or 20/50 MC oil) will make your ride shift substantially better and quiter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
im thinking of going with amsoil 10-50 oil.
I have used Golden Spectro for many years,at least since my purchase of a 1984 Honda V-65 with poor oiling to the top of the motor. Golden Spectro solved the problem. My TW-200 shifts fine with the 20-50 Golden Spectro, no clunking or transmission issues. Amsol is probably my second choice as should be yours since I am positive that Golden Spectro is spectacular in my 2 TW-200 and my FZ-09. My pickups have Amsol in their automatic transmissions with great success.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My wife used to own a 2001 Suzuki XL7.
Even though I kept track of all maintenance, I always knew when it was time for an oil change....the valves/tappets/lifters would start making noise when the oil was close to "expiring".

I've found that this TW of mine is the same way...when the shifting starts getting notchy and clunky...it's time to change the oil.

(Chain tension and other issues notwithstanding).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I even notice that on any vehicle. it seems a lot smoother running after an oil change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Golden Spectro 20-50 MC is the best oil that I have used since my Honda 1984 V-65 was new. Do not use the rattling Yamalube oil. Maybe Amsol if they are out of Golden Spectro.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts