TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
That looks great.Could you give us some more details of the set up and what your spring rating range is? Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks great.Could you give us some more details of the set up and what your spring rating range is? Thanks for posting.
Good morning. I’m not sure what the question about the spring is, but here’s a bit more info:

The shock has 4 different adjustments.

1. Spring preload
2. Rebound damping
3. High-speed compression
4. Low-speed compression

In other words, it’s got A LOT of. Adjustment. The idea is to give a shock with enough adjustments that it will work for just about all TW riders.

Thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I ran an Elka stage 5 shock on my FJ09. very nice bling, and very expensive for a bike in the TW price range. Elka does beautiful work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran an Elka stage 5 shock on my FJ09. very nice bling, and very expensive for a bike in the TW price range. Elka does beautiful work.
Good morning. It’s not for everyone. We’re over the top with just about everything and our TW’s are no exception. Why get every bit of performance out of a TW? Haha. Well, not because it makes sense, but we plan to have a heck of a lot of fun doing it!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
And, pray tell, just how much is giving you guys a lot of fun likely to cost ? ........
I'm betting in the $1200cnd ($950usd} range. Elka does nice work and their stuff is nice to the eye

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And, pray tell, just how much is giving you guys a lot of fun likely to cost ? ........
We’ll post up details soon. Just a few more specs to finalize, then pricing and our first production run. Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is that a Schraeder valve on the end of the reservoir?

That would be awesome to be able to quickly and easily adjust the spring to match the payload on any given ride.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
they are not air shocks, they are gas filled.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Perhaps a questionnaire for the customer to fill out so the shock can be initially set up for weight, skill, riding style as well as other mods.
this is how Elka builds their shocks to personal specs. when I had mine built for my FJ09 all valving was assembled to my personal spec,

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
How do you address the stock shock mounting? Currently the rear shock on the TW200 uses a simple pin in bushing set up, no bearings. The slop on the lower shock mount would be considered shot on any modern off road bike. Enough to make even an over-the-top shock pretty much worthless.
For TW200 owners, here's what I'm talking about; with your bike up on a stand and the rear wheel suspended, pick up on the rear wheel and see if you can lift it. You will feel some amount of movement, not much, a mm or two. This is the slop in the mounting hardware. This is what makes the ride on the TW200 so harsh; the constant slamming into the suspension before the shock can start to do it's compression damping. Normally shock set ups of this nature use a nylon or other rebuildable component, including bearings and water resistant seals. The TW200 rear shock has none of that. It is more like how a receiver hitch connects the ball mount with a pin. And you all know how much that rattles when pulling a trailer as you accelerate or brake. Same with the rear shock on the TW200. Any dirt, mud, water works as an abrasive and wears this down, making the slop get worse and worse. Unless the mount points on the rear shock are redesigned so there is zero slop, I'm going to question the effectiveness of an after market shock beyond a spring rate options we already are familiar with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All adjustments can be done while the shock is in the bike? Any special tools required?
Yup. All adjustments can be made while installed on the bike. No special tools needed for compression and rebound adjustments. The rebound adjustment requires a flat-blade screwdriver. The compression (high and low) is adjusted via hand adjusters on the reservoir. Spring preload requires an Allen wrench/socket/etc. And a rod that fits in the coil-spring adjuster nut. A tool for preload will likely be included with the shock.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I had a hard enough timing selling the Pro-Cycle springs to my wife. This shock? It's going to cost me a lot of back rubs!!
On a side note I talked with Cogent about a year ago and they were looking for a Dub loaner. Seems they wanted to make a fork kit but no shock. If some lives close to them it maybe worth a call.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts