TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
Finally got some snow so I can perform some actual testing of the "sheet metal screw" idea (as tire studs) in the front tire. Wish I could report some reliable info, but the jury is still out. I have the SR244.

Tire only (no SM studs) aired down = marginal in virgin not ridden snow. If packed snow, not good at all.

With SM Studs = If packed snow, better than no studs, but still more movement than I'm comfortable with.

I ran out of screws and need to get more. I plan on placing more studs in.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Finally got some snow so I can perform some actual testing of the "sheet metal screw" idea (as tire studs) in the front tire. Wish I could report some reliable info, but the jury is still out. I have the SR244.

Tire only (no SM studs) aired down = marginal in virgin not ridden snow. If packed snow, not good at all.

With SM Studs = If packed snow, better than no studs, but still more movement than I'm comfortable with.

I ran out of screws and need to get more. I plan on placing more studs in.

I used to ice race and sheet metal screws work real good (front & rear) on bare ice but they don't add a heck of a lot in snow....maybe a little on hard packed.

Here's a pic of a real aggresive studded tire I saw at Justice brother's shop in LA.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
I used to ice race and sheet metal screws work real good (front & rear) on bare ice but they don't add a heck of a lot in snow....maybe a little on hard packed.

This is the conclusion I'm coming too as well. I'm on the lookout for a small set of tire chains I could maybe use on the front tire, similar to mrgizmow's cable chains. For the type of riding I do in the winter, (off road), chains should work. Still want to fiddle with the sheet metal screws some more before I rule them in or out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts