TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIrstly, let me say that riding "off piste" is still a new experience for me. I have not ridden the TW very much, just have it broken in, @ 900 miles, more than half street riding, I scared myself silly this summer when I survived a steep slope loose gravel trail without dumping my T-Dub
. I love the lightness of the bike. I was wondering how it behaves in the snow, and if I should try it. Kids run around on dirt bikes in the snow around here, especially on the frozen, snow covered lake, and it looks like a lot of fun. But I'm not a kid anymore. How does the TW do in the snow with its stock tires? I'm already suffering from Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, and hoping maybe my lil T-Dub might be an antidote?

·
Registered
139 Posts
We always did it when we were kids, too

The key is go slow, keep your feet down and be ready to get away from the bike when it needs to get out from under you. Very similar to riding one of those ski-bikes, or whatever they are called.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I wouldn't try to ride on ice, but snow may be fun and it's soft if you happen to dump the bike!

I'm sure that off-road riding of any type is great to learn how to handle one's bike properly in all situations, and understand everything about weight distribution, balance etc. I never did anything other than easy gravel roads and I would love to have more off-road experience. I say go for it...

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Most of the snow riding I have tried has required lots of effort, both from me and the engine. Packed ruts are very doable, but then you are generally riding in a 'trench'. I think a light dusting of 4" would be fun. My guess is alot depends on the 'type of snow'.

Heading into the 'trench'

This proved to be a 'no-go' the engine simply does not have the horsepower to plow 11" of this

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah the TW does ok in the snow. The front tire slides quite a bit but no different than wet mud. Ice is a different story..... Some have studded their tires so if your withdrawls get to bad you could try that...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the type of snow cover that I enjoy on my cross country skis may be do-able. If I can get the bike out of the back room, I think I'll give it a go. If I manage, I'll post pics!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a ton of fun the first day it snowed! Just kept it slow. I tried again after the 4th day...not so much fun that day. The light fluffy snow on top of the hard pack and ice was very slick. Front tire was everywhere.

I kept hearing that we'd have less snow this year. Weathermen are worthless. We broke several records for Nov already and this month looks to be more of the same. If this keeps up I'm buying a set of stock wheel/tires and studding them up. I can't not ride all winter!

Byte

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It snowed here for 3 days a couple of years ago. That amount of snow is rare here, and what little snow removal equipment is available generally is focused on keeping Interstate 15 open. All my four wheeled vehicles were buried, and the TW became my only way off my property to town.

It floats on snow, but with the stock tires it's prolly the worst thing I've ever ridden on ice. lol. Once the snow on the roads turned to ice my KLR with D606's did far better.

These things are a blast to ride in snow. Have fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Key to driving anything in the snow is to stay off the brakes, easy on the gas and no quick direction changes.

Love your avatar! Looks like you're an authority on the topic

Mexicant, love the pics, and I know that dropping the TW in the snow shouldn't be too big a deal. Even I can pick it back up easily

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
I don't think I will be a regular TW snow rider, but there has, and probably will be times. On my Bender Creek ride there was some snow on the trails and today I was testing a camera mount for the TW, and well....you can't test it much without riding it...and we have snow. What can I say.

Here's my take if you do: use a better than stock aggressive front dirt bike tire; very low tire pressures, Mr Gizmow may be on to something with the tire cables.

Snow's not so bad, but when it gets packed down, well, that makes it pretty icy.

Here's a short video in the snow when I was doing my camera mount test. You can't see it, and through poor audio (I don't know what was buzzing) you can here me make a comment about sliding. In one part the back end started to come around.

And yes the camera mount sucks! Would be ok on a smooth road, but not bumpy. I'll try a new approach for my next round of rocket science testing.

I liked your version of P.M.S! How true.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexUs3Se52o[/media]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll second the suggestion to stud your tires. Carbides make it an enjoyable experience.

Just remember that while the snow is soft, your bike will do the most damage to you in a crash. The pegs and handlebars are merciless in even the most innocuous tip over, so dress for the crash.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wish I hadn't thrown my cables out...they work amazing in the snow!!! I had mine out in some deep stuff in the desert to our east two weeks ago and forgot how difficult snow management can be!

For the first time, I wound the TW out to a sustained 9,800 rpms in an effort to dig through 1 foot and half of packed snow....it worked! Slow, but sure
I'd imagine an ATV tire in the rear would vastly improve the digging of TW and would prove amazing.

-Adam

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I chickened out and decided not to stud the tires on my TW. Even though I've been told that the studs can be screwed in and removed without harm, I didn't trust myself putting all of those holes in my tires. I did take 'er out in the snow, but even with those big knobbies, it was a bit too different and intimidating for me. Just tooled around a little in the driveway and side yard. That was enough for me! Unless I'm willing to go thru with the studding, I'll pass on taking it out on the lake. I think I was just too scared of breaking something on the little dual-sport, (or me!) and probably should just get a little dirtbike to stud up and go out on the ice... Probably wouldn't hurt for me to take that dirtbike class that I've been thinking about. Thanks to my ever-patient DH Jack for taking the photos.

These are the studs I bought, but never used:

Oh... I DID use studs on my boots

1 - 20 of 28 Posts