TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of a busted up ankle I have not been on my bike in 6 weeks. Needless to say my battery is dead. I tried kickstarting to no avail. I know nothing about charging batteries. The only charger that I own is my deer feeder battery charger. Will this work on my bike battery and if so what setting should it be on? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks zdiver. My suspicion is that I need a one time charge, so I am hoping the deer feeder battery charger will do the trick. Now that I am out of the splint I will be back on the bike at least a few days a week so it should not go dead again. I am trying to avoid buying more shit! Will jump starting from my truck work?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now we're talking! So just hook up jumper cables without turning on the truck and hit the electric start on the TW?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
And then get a battery tender.

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Jason, glad to hear you are mended well enough to try riding again.
If you have a wet cell battery and haven't checked electrolyte levels in a bit you may wish to do so now. This may help battery to hold a charge after jump starting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Battery Tender Won't Charge Dead Battery

I'm a big fan of Battery Tenders, have three of them around here. But note that they won't charge a flat dead battery. From the Battery Tender Jr. Instructions:

WORKING WITH A DEAD BATTERY OR A BATTERY WITH A VERY LOW VOLTAGE:
If you try to charge a dead battery having a voltage below 3 Volts, the BATTERY TENDER® CHARGERS will not start to charge because an internal safety circuit prevents the battery chargers from generating any DC output
voltage.​

Their job is to keep a battery topped up, a job which they do extremely well. I've run into this (have left the ignition on once or twice :(), and used an old 12V car battery charger to get the voltage high enough to get the bike started, then put in on the Tender to top it up.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use a Schumacher 1.5v charger/maint. I have the cigarette outlet on my handlebars and use that to charge thru, its hooked direct to the battery.

View attachment 23782
Excellent charger. Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews. Lots of smart guys on there who know how to test a charger and put this one through it's paces.

But back to your original post;
You said your battery went dead just sitting for 6 weeks? That was a bad battery to begin with. A good battery should last 6 months without a charge and still be a good battery, just needing a charge is all.

Wet cell batteries in the TW200 isn't the best idea. These bikes are dropped regularly and acid will be leaked when they are dropped. Unless topped back off quickly, before trying to charge it as it would when riding for a while after the leak, the battery will be damaged without electrolyte. A sealed battery is a better option for a bike like this. I went with the Lithium battery and it's been a good call so far.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Again -- What is the output - volts and amps - of the deer feeder battery charger you have?
If you want your original question answered, can you answer that one?
If it puts out 12VC and 1.5-2 amps or so, you can use that as a trickle charger/maintainer, but it will take a long tome to charge up a dead battery.

And a more basic question - how do you know your battery is dead? Did you measure it's voltage? Does the bike turn over at all, the starter relay clicks? The battery cable connections are clean?
Did you try and start it with a jump from a good auto battery?

There may be something else going on with your bike, mine starts with the kickstarter even without a battery installed in it.

And BTW, you should never have a lead acid battery on a motorcycle, it should either be a sealed AGM or VLA, or a sealed lithium battery. You don't want acid spilling when you dump the bike.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry mrlmb. Been a bit occupied the last couple of days. I actually went to walmart and bought an 8amp charger to charge it up for testing. Once fully charged I took it to autozone for testing and they said it is fine. I put it back in the bike and it cranked right up. Then I went to walmart and returned the charger! Im going to hook up a tender and avoid the problem, and when its dead Im going with lithium. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Sorry mrlmb. Been a bit occupied the last couple of days. I actually went to walmart and bought an 8amp charger to charge it up for testing. Once fully charged I took it to autozone for testing and they said it is fine. I put it back in the bike and it cranked right up. Then I went to walmart and returned the charger! Im going to hook up a tender and avoid the problem, and when its dead Im going with lithium. Thanks guys!
Keep the charger, you'll most likely need it sooner or later.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually went to walmart and bought an 8amp charger to charge it up for testing. Once fully charged I took it to autozone for testing and they said it is fine. I put it back in the bike and it cranked right up. Then I went to walmart and returned the charger!
1. Autozone would have charged your battery at no charge to you.
2. Walmart should ban you. Why should someone else get a used product when they are paying for new? Using this method I would never need to purchase tools. Just go to Walmart buy it use it and take it back......:mad:

Normally I do not comment on things but this is simply wrong.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Relax dude. My time is worth more than the money I would have gotten returning it. Its called joking. I do hope you use your outrage for worthwhile things! I should've been more clear about the fact that I was kidding, chargers are handy to have around, and I still have mine. Your large, red font was a nice effect though. I could really tell you were PISSED! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts