TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to have turned into an annual event. I entered the Hare Scramble at the Horn Rapids Moto Complex in Richland, WA for the second year in a row. After racing in it last year, I told myself that I would never do it again. Not that I didn’t have fun, it just seemed that I was out of my league. Well, I have had a lot of practice this last year. I made myself go to the sand dunes and practice riding in the sand. I weigh less and am stronger this year. I felt more confident in my skills and in my TW. So when my father in-law asked if I wanted to do it again, I said, “Heck yeah, let’s do it!”

Last year I had no clue what to do. How do I start? Where do I go? This year I had it down. I was a seasoned veteran.

I signed up for the same class as last year. Two ten mile long laps for a total of 20 miles.

In the riders meeting, the announcer said that they took out some of the whoops because most riders didn’t like them. Fine with me, there was a lot and I got tired last year. Then one guy in the crowd raised his hand and said, “I was one of the guys on the bulldozer and I took out some of the whoops, but I made some small jumps and some are razorbacks.” He went on to tell us to be careful because some of the jumps are hard to see, even though they are marked with yellow tape.

Jumps? Oh, crap. Now I have to watch out for jumps I can’t see.

The announcer went on to say that part of the race will be run on part of the motocross track.

Ok, now I have to watch out for invisible jumps and I’ll be racing on the motocross track! I saw the motocross track on the way in and those jumps/hills are huge!

Now I’m all nervous, but had already paid my money so I figured what the heck, let’s do this!

All the riders grouped up for the warm up lap, which was only about a quarter mile long. I spotted a TW on the side of the track and I was happy to see I wasn’t alone. I gave him the thumbs up and he came over to me. He liked my front tire. Turns out he was a volunteer who was helping by watching the track for problems. Each time I went by him he clapped for me.

I rode the bike up to the guy who was checking our tags. He was the same guy who said last year, “You’re going to have fun on that thing.” This year, he said, “Woohoo!” He must have remembered me.

We lined up in four rows and I was in the last row. I lined up next to my father in-law (white and red pants and jersey, red bike number 76). It was a dead engine start. We had to stand in front of our bikes, while straddling the front tire and holding onto the handle bars. The buzzer sounded for the first row, and then second, then the third row went. The buzzer sounded and it was my turn to go. I hopped on the TW, hit the starter button and I kind of sat there. I couldn’t hear the purr of the TW over the rumble of the big bikes.

I finally figured out it was running and I was off. The whole track is sand, but luckily I have been practicing. I stood up on the pegs and hit the throttle. I rounded the first turn to the left and I was on the track.

I was actually in this race. There were people behind me and directly in front of me. I passed a guy who was all over the place. I also passed a kid who fell. Wow, me and the TW passing people in a race! My face had a big grin on it!

I kept a nice steady pace of 20 miles per hour. I felt like I was flying. Compared to last year I was flying because I averaged about 15 miles per hour last year.

I started to get tired at about four miles in, but my legs and arms did not hurt.

I felt comfortable this year. The bike was doing great. I ran a Maxxis Maxx Cross IT tire on the front and it made a huge difference. I had my air pressure down to 12 psi front and rear which made a big difference too.

Then the motocross track came. This turned out to be the most fun. Those jumps are high! I didn’t jump any, but I went up and over each one. Me and the TW, on a motocross track! I laughed thinking about it.

Then I got back into the sand and I came around a corner and my front tire washed out and I fell over on my right side. Luckily the ground was soft and I got back up and off I went.

I made it to the checkpoint and the guy there was happy to see me. I got my first of two punches and off I went for my second and final lap. I could hear people yelling, “Trailway, Trailway!” I had a huge grin on my face. I think I was the crowd favorite.

The second lap was just like the first, but I felt like I even went faster. The bike was running great.

Now the fast guys were starting to pass me. I held a straight line and let them pass. It’s weird because I’d hear a faint buzz behind me and vroooom, they would pass me like a fighter jet!

I fell once more and my mirror came loose. I got the mirror so it wouldn’t move around and off I was again.

I continued on through the motocross track, through more sand, and then to the check point and my finish line.

I got my last punch and went to see where I placed. I got 17th out of 21. Last year I was 20th out of 26. It took me 56 minutes to complete the twenty miles. 56 minutes of non-stop flat-out riding.

I got a little stiff a few hours after the race. I am a little sore today, but nothing like last year. It took me a week to recover last year.

I am very happy I did this race again. Last year it was work, this year it was fun.

Is the TW as a motocross bike? Nah, its not, but its all I have. I ran with the big dogs and wasn’t last. I feel that I represented the TW very well and this year I have it all on video!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zLr4ckHsY[/media]

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
That is awesome! The best part is that you got it on video, including the crashes! I really enjoyed watching that. Looks like you had fun, and I would say you represented us well. Thanks so much for sharing that with us!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I noticed that you mirrors aren't screwed into the stock spot, what are you using?

I bought some mirror extenders from Lucky Bike via Amazon. They are for 10mm studs. They sell a pair, but don't buy that, you have to buy one left and one right because the right side mirror is a reverse thread. They also include the bolts. They are great. Now I can see past my shoulders. Problem is, the mirrors now stick out past my handguards so when I fell, the mirrors moved (like they should). Next time I will swivel the mirrors inwards so they are on the inside of my handguards.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
That was just awesome. I bet there ain't many of them racers got a GPS mounted and honking at the crowd. Absolutely crazy, I love it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I echo the others. That looks like a blast !! I would love to do something similar closer to home. Great job.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Way to go Rainman!

I loved your report last year and I am glad you did it again this year. Lights, mirrors, turn signals, GPS, front rack, rear rack, tooltube, huge hand guards . . . . . . . you da man!

String a few more of those together and Baja doesn't seem so impossible.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Good for you my Friend........ Super fast recoverys getting the bike back up and racing. I think I would need to call a crane to get mined verticle again. Really enjoyed the video. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
oh that was sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
512 Posts
That was awesome! I really enjoyed reading that, and thanks for taking us along on the ride with your video. You did a great job! Who knew, the TW in a race? It can be done.

Dan

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
There's just something about riding a slow bike fast! That and passing someone on a full bore race bike and beeping your horn at them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts