TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed we have alot of gun guys on here "motorcycles and guns seem to go together" so here is a link to any interested in my rattle can camo paint job. I have wanted to paint one of my shtf/all purpose hunting rifles for along time. It took me about 2 weeks to build up the 10888929123_d1e2d6ee20_b.jpg guts to put spray paint on a nice gun. So i sponge painted my AR-15

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You're gonna set that thing down somewhere and lose it. :D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Nice! Now that is a huge improvement over black but what the heck is Kryloleum paint that the guy on that forum said he used? What paint did you use?

Mine is a Ruger SR-556 and more expensive than it should be but flawless none the less. I know what you mean about taking a while to get the courage to paint yours. I might have to practice on one of my 10/22's first. If the S ever does HTF camo will be much better than bling.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Nice! Now that is a huge improvement over black but what the heck is Kryloleum paint that the guy on that forum said he used? What paint did you use?
Mixture of Krylon and Rustolium. He had some of each brand, in different colors.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Mixture of Krylon and Rustolium. He had some of each brand, in different colors.
Thanks. After I wrote that I read the rest of the posts on the other forum. And Small's, I didn't realize that you are "the guy on that forum". Sorry 'bout that. The shotgun and muzzleloader look nice too.

I paint my trail cams and security stuff with homespun camo to hide them from people, but have never used the sponge method. I paint base coat colors then push the rattle can nozzle down just until it sort of squirts instead of sprays. I make patterns from the blobs and spatters that hide things pretty well but after seeing your stuff, I'm going to try some sponge blots too. It looks pretty easy once you get the knack of it and screw-ups can probably be fixed easily.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice! I've been thinking about doing this to my 6.8. Its identical to yours, even have the midwest industries rail. I am in CA though, so my rifle has been neutered with a bullet button, and my 30rnd mags modified to only hold 10 rounds...:( Must be nice to live in free america!

·
Registered
261 Posts
There's plenty of room out here! Vote with your feet brother!

Nice job on the camo - I like to spray through mesh and move it around to make shadowy looking snake scale camo. Use Krylon flat camo colors - works great! Just don't get any solvent on it...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just got a new one - rifle kit from del-ton assembled on a lower that the local state gun owner's board did a group buy on. Turned out nice. I like del-ton and doing it this way avoids the excise tax on most of the cost of the gun. This cost about $650 total. Chromed lined barrel, m4 double feed ramps, ergo pg, moe trigger guard, 5 position buttstock, phantom flash hider, yhm buis.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I built mine also. Here are the specs
superior lower.
rock river 2 stage trigger
magpul k2 grip
magpul ctr stock
spikes 7075 buffer tube
damage usa chromoly buffer spring
wmd nickel boron coated bolt
bravo company mod 3 charging handle
palmetto state armory hammer forged 1:7 chrome lined light weight barrel
midwest industries free float rail
magpul mbus sights.
burris xtr 1-4 scooe with burris mount.
vtac 2pt sling on qd mounts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sweet - how about a pic? :)

I've got another one I built with a del-ton kit - on a Stag lower - has the magpul stock too and a 4x Weaver mounted. That one's a 16" middy with heavy barrel. Same goodies otherwise as my light-weight one. The other AR is a stock HBAR Bushy. I'm leaving that one as-is in case I decide to do the NRA High Power comp again.

Love messin with AR's.

I used to build AK's back in the heyday when you could get a rommie kit for under $100. Enjoyed that too. But of course, uncle sugar put an end to the cheap kits...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I believe that's a Norinco "paratrooper" model.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes thats an sks. I have an old romanian AK with about the same finish on it. Most of the old milsurplus rifle has that hard slopped on varnish/whatever it is on them.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
With all the restrictions and new laws here in the Communist NE, if the north and south ever go to war again we are sure to get our asses kicked!

Nice guns for sure but up here they would instantly make me a criminal! By the time these idiots are done with their gun control agenda it will be illegal to have a BB gun. Here in NY I would get a harsher sentence for having 8 rounds in my legally owned Glock magazine than some punk who robs a liquor store with a stolen gun.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts