TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and a few weeks later I have a '13 TW200 sitting in our garage. :D I am truly enjoying my first experience on a motorcycle~THE motorcycle~for all things off road. I am riding it when the weather permits and loving it! I just finished giving it a bath for the second time after getting a proper amount of mud on it. I love slipping away into the open fields and less traveled roads with my bike and just letting it power me through peanut butter-ish gravel roads. I have a Jeep trail in mind for a future adventure but in the meantime I will take what I can to enjoy what I have. It's nice to be a part of something greater by sharing the enthusiasm with other TWers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
lol, she's done got BIT! If, that is indeed a girl as the screen name suggests...

I sure am having fun with mine too. Went for a little exploring tonight for an hour after work and it was fantastic, even tho I did have to tear the front wheel off the bike on the side of the road. :) Must have been a small pebble between the wheel and the spacer on the right, making a heck of a scratching racket.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome dirtgirl!.....consider rejetting, turning the pilot screw 2-2.5 turns out,shimming the needle and the like (yes,it's easy to do on these bikes). Plenty of forum info on this topic.Your bike will be more responsive,run cooler etc..

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Very cool! Welcome to the best forum on the web.

Tell us more. Where are you? Does he have a TW too? What riding do you plan to do, off road, on or both? After lurking around for a while you will get a feel for what accessories you might want or need and there is no such thing as a dumb question here. There are a few gals here, Purple already welcomed you and I am very surprised we don't have a lot of gals because the TW is a great bike and so easy to ride and low to the ground.

Pictures are easy to post and we love pics here! When you get time be sure to fill in your profile info so others can see where you are from and what ever other info you feel comfortable with posting.

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy yourself here.

GaryL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you everyone and yes, I am in fact a girl who LOVES dirt. And thank you Purple for the warm welcome. I have been riding my mountain bikes for quite a while and decided to go deeper into the dark side and get a motorized mtb. ;) I got the bug when I watched Long Way Down and my DH being the super duper supporter that he is researched bikes and found just what I needed. I originally intended on getting a dirt bike but there were mods that would be needed to make it street legal. Sooooo, TW found it's way home to our garage around Thanksgiving.

Welcome to the addiction, oop's, I meant forum... now start looking at accessories! m.
I have a Jimbo shield (Thanks Jim for offering top quality craftsmanship in a cool little shield!), a Wolfman pack, and a minimalist style rear rack. The accessories were Christmas presents.

even tho I did have to tear the front wheel off the bike on the side of the road.
Oh my goodness! Are you ok? :eek:

Welcome dirtgirl!.....consider rejetting, turning the pilot screw 2-2.5 turns out,shimming the needle and the like
Thank you so much for that! It does run a little lean, doesn't it? And if you have any handy dandy tips, please post it along with a visual aid cuz I like pictures.

Tell us more. Where are you? Does he have a TW too? What riding do you plan to do, off road, on or both?
Welll.....I live in the mid south region so I have mild weather MOST of the time. Except for this year. The single degree temps and ice~what in the world?? :cold:DH has a Kawasaki KLR 650. He got the bug for a new bike when he was shopping for mine. :D We plan on riding the quiet back roads that lead to miles of gravel roads that are all around us. As a bonus, we have curvy, hilly, roller coaster hills thanks to the Ozarks. Makes for fun, fun, fun in the fall and spring. And summer too. As long as a bee doesn't fly up into my helmet. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got the bug when I watched Long Way Down
Ha! Bought my wife a TW on Dec 14th after the exact same thing. We watched both Long Way Round and Long Way Down on Netflix and she was raring to drive across Africa.... Thought we'd start smaller and work our way up haha.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm a girl too and I just got my TW on Saturday.
Good to start small before heading out across Africa on those huge BMW's.
I ride my Triumph T100 with a few different groups and I've been trying to talk some of them into branching out into some off-road riding and the only group even interested is my women's group. I had my eye on something vintage and almost bought an old Yamaha 360 Enduro last March. Realized I don't need to work that hard to start a bike anymore so decided I needed something more reliable and easier to start, hence the TW. Well, the gals I ride with have watched all the Long Way movies so they seemed to suddenly get serious about our long talked about plans to do some off-road riding. These gals have never ridden off-road but one just bought a brand new BMW 1200 GS and another got the F800 GS. I stayed my course and got myself my fun little dual sport. I may look a little silly riding to the dirt along side those BMW's but once we get there (if they will still ride with me) I bet I have a lot more fun and I won't be shedding any tears if I drop my TW.
Looking for other enthusiasts in my area to ride with so give me a holler if you live in the PNW.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Welcome dette from the other side of the country. Yeah, I know just what you mean about riding friends with bikes. TWs are pretty special and can do what most other bikes can't do. I have the best time riding with buddies who also have dual sport bikes and like mixing some rural roads with some nice trails. I just bought a second TW I hope to get set up so pals who have road bikes can take it for some day trips with me.

Hope you enjoy hanging here with us and learning all there is to know about the Dubs.

GaryL

Reactions: dette

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm a girl too and I just got my TW on Saturday.
Good to start small before heading out across Africa on those huge BMW's.
I ride my Triumph T100 with a few different groups and I've been trying to talk some of them into branching out into some off-road riding and the only group even interested is my women's group. I had my eye on something vintage and almost bought an old Yamaha 360 Enduro last March. Realized I don't need to work that hard to start a bike anymore so decided I needed something more reliable and easier to start, hence the TW. Well, the gals I ride with have watched all the Long Way movies so they seemed to suddenly get serious about our long talked about plans to do some off-road riding. These gals have never ridden off-road but one just bought a brand new BMW 1200 GS and another got the F800 GS. I stayed my course and got myself my fun little dual sport. I may look a little silly riding to the dirt along side those BMW's but once we get there (if they will still ride with me) I bet I have a lot more fun and I won't be shedding any tears if I drop my TW.
Looking for other enthusiasts in my area to ride with so give me a holler if you live in the PNW.
Welcome aboard Dette! I'm glad that you decided to start with a smaller bike like the TW. However, I may warn you that you may not want to graduate into a bigger bike after riding the TW. For a couple of reasons, it is fun to ride and easy to maintain.

When you get a chance, check out the Horizon Unlimited website for the Round The World (RTW) trip. It is a misconception that you must ride a BMW in order to travel into the other countries. Even in the Long Way Around movie, you will remember in one scene in Mongolia, one of the camera crew bike broke down and couldn't repair it. So they ended up getting a smaller bike. Well in part of their ride the BMW were struggling along whereas the camera crew were zipping along on the smaller bike.

As for me, I don't want to do a RTW trip but a RTA trip (round the america) on the TW of course. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Well, good luck with your new bike and PM if you have any questions. Pretty soon, we're going to need a Women's section on this forum.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragment. Since I started riding at the age of 4, most of my riding years thus far have been on the dirt and I never have understood why some think bigger is better. Especially after watching the movies of Ewen and Charley struggling with those bikes. I too thought the camera man was the lucky one when he got that 400 or whatever it was. I haven't actually ridden in the dirt in years because as soon as I turned 16 I got a street bike then eventually quit riding for many years. I don't have a desire to do adventure riding around the world; my dream is to fly over to Europe and purchase an old used little bike to tour on. There's a guy that has a shop in Ireland who will go check out and purchase (using his business address) a bike that you find on their version of Craigslist. He will make certain it's ready for you as best he can depending on what you select. Then, he will sell if for you or you can pay him to store it if you plan on returning. Nothing flashy, just my style. I think we Americans are the only one's that seem to think we have to have huge bikes. I think since I started riding so young and our family had so many crappy bikes I realize much fun can be had on something simple. Do like those new fangled electric starters though....lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi dette and welcome aboard! Be sure and open a new thread to post away and load it with pics! I'd love to see yours and I will try to get pics loaded of my TW soon. Did I mention I like pictures? :D

However, I may warn you that you may not want to graduate into a bigger bike after riding the TW. For a couple of reasons, it is fun to ride and easy to maintain.
Exactly! The fact that is has few bells and whistles makes it an ideal bike for long term use. And for escaping the zombie apocalypse. ;) I also like the fact that it gets such good gas mileage too. My husband's KLR gets considerably less. And unlike his bike, I don't mind dropping mine cuz it's made for buseage.

I am entering the motorcycle world with a cyclist's perspective and my touring mountain bike comes with lower gearing and bar end shifters to work in harsh conditions and with fewer things to go wrong. I also know that the fatter the tire, the easier it is to maneuver over sand, rocks, and uneven surfaces. I had been wanting a fat bike for quite a while but I when I saw the TW, I knew it would be perfect for those conditions and it's easier to ride for worn out knees than peddling a fat tire mtb. I live in a region that doesn't have much snow or pebbly beaches or sand so that's why I held off from buying a fat bike. Still I love to think about owning one.

Several of us are planning on attending this rally in April...
Thanks Lance! Lance....makes me think of the Tour de France, lol.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Oh Boy! With roads like that, I would be taking every left and right turn just to see where they go to. If you followed me you would have to change your name from Dirtgirl to Dirtygirl.

I have to tell you. Being a full blown Yankee up here in the NE, the entire upper half of the state of Maine is nothing but roads just like the ones you show. You could get lost for days up in these parts and never hit the same road twice. That is where us Country Folk New Yorkers go to get some real Northern Exposure. Anyone who lives in Maine and doesn't have a TW is missing some of the prettiest back roads in this nation.

I never knew you guys down south had such pretty places to ride but I would be happy to ride them with my TW and my Glock out of fear of the guys with no teeth and Banjos.:p

Your bike looks gorgeous!

GaryL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts