TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how much is too much? I know it's not a motocross bike, but surely it can handle just a little bit of air time, no?

Just a small jump (been 20+ years since I last had both wheels off the ground), and it didn't bottom out with stock suspension and my ~240lb ass on it. Did maybe 4-5 jumps before I took the camera off the helmet and got a semi-decent side shot. I'd like to go a bit bigger, but don't want to ruin the TW in the process.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i felt much more confident after i changed out my original pre-2001 stock shock. that skinny weld design had me worried on any little bump, let alone jumping.

now i've hit jumps like in your pic without a second thought. short of playing evel knievel you should be good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When you chin smashes on the bars and you can feel the entire bike is twisting....time to back it off a notch or two. However what you show in the video is fine and although the bike does not have a lot of suspension it also depends on the load, if you weigh 250+ will make a big difference compared to a rider is 100 lbs soaking wet. Just have fun and stay safe!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Many of us have bottomed out the suspension doing jumps or drops. Just don't do them with a loaded rear rack, the subframe will bend or break.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Stock, it has about the same suspension as my early seventies enduros.
They survived jumps of close to 6 feet.
Just be sure that you are fully up on the pegs, so you don't get bucked off...and pull up on the handlebars, so the front tire does not touch down first.

In the mid-seventies, a friend and I were riding on Cuddeback Dry Lake. He was on a Yamaha 250 twin with scrambler type pipes.
He was doing 50+ MPH across the dry lake, sitting down, looked back, missing seeing and then hit the berm (12-15" high) of a road crossing the dry lake.
It bucked him off.
It was cold, so he was well padded and was only sore from the mishap, but emphasizes the need to get off the seat.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/Randsburg,+California/@35.3167753,-117.6051097,40734m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c3e147bab96e59:0xd96fa8f050784c11!2m2!1d-117.477!2d35.2896884!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c164ad28eb46d9:0x704895504c5bed13!2m2!1d-117.6581161!2d35.3685739!3e0

I went back for his truck, a ~40 mile round trip.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
if you weigh 250+ will make a big difference compared to a rider is 100 lbs soaking wet.
Very good point!
When I finished Uncle Sam's paid vacation in southeast Asia, I was only 160#.
That was also in my favor playing tag.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i felt much more confident after i changed out my original pre-2001 stock shock. that skinny weld design had me worried on any little bump, let alone jumping.

now i've hit jumps like in your pic without a second thought. short of playing evel knievel you should be good.
Mine is an `09, are the shocks a bit more beefy on the later ones?

When you chin smashes on the bars and you can feel the entire bike is twisting....time to back it off a notch or two. However what you show in the video is fine and although the bike does not have a lot of suspension it also depends on the load, if you weigh 250+ will make a big difference compared to a rider is 100 lbs soaking wet. Just have fun and stay safe!!
That first sentence instantly brought back a memory of smashing my face on bike handlebars as a kid when I got a bit more air than I had planned on my BMX. Can still feel it like it was yesterday.

Many of us have bottomed out the suspension doing jumps or drops. Just don't do them with a loaded rear rack, the subframe will bend or break.
Mine doesn't get too loaded down, I tend to only take short day trips. It's either dinner on the rear rack, or some crowd control on the front.

(estate sale find, got some great looks on the way home)

Stock, it has about the same suspension as my early seventies enduros.
They survived jumps of close to 6 feet.
Just be sure that you are fully up on the pegs, so you don't get bucked off...and pull up on the handlebars, so the front tire does not touch down first.

In the mid-seventies, a friend and I were riding on Cuddeback Dry Lake. He was on a Yamaha 250 twin with scrambler type pipes.
He was doing 50+ MPH across the dry lake, sitting down, looked back, missing seeing and then hit the berm (12-15" high) of a road crossing the dry lake.
It bucked him off.
It was cold, so he was well padded and was only sore from the mishap, but emphasizes the need to get off the seat.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/Randsburg,+California/@35.3167753,-117.6051097,40734m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c3e147bab96e59:0xd96fa8f050784c11!2m2!1d-117.477!2d35.2896884!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c164ad28eb46d9:0x704895504c5bed13!2m2!1d-117.6581161!2d35.3685739!3e0

I went back for his truck, a ~40 mile round trip.
If it's good for 6ft, I have a pretty good margin to work with. I don't see getting it more than a foot or two off the deck. Too old for extreme sports, though with my day job, I could probably win gold in the Red Bull Extreme Sitting Championship.

Very good point!
When I finished Uncle Sam's paid vacation in southeast Asia, I was only 160#.
That was also in my favor playing tag.
I'd kill to get back to 180-200.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Mine is an `09, are the shocks a bit more beefy on the later ones?

That first sentence instantly brought back a memory of smashing my face on bike handlebars as a kid when I got a bit more air than I had planned on my BMX. Can still feel it like it was yesterday.

Mine doesn't get too loaded down, I tend to only take short day trips. It's either dinner on the rear rack, or some crowd control on the front.

(estate sale find, got some great looks on the way home)

If it's good for 6ft, I have a pretty good margin to work with. I don't see getting it more than a foot or two off the deck. Too old for extreme sports, though with my day job, I could probably win gold in the Red Bull Extreme Sitting Championship.

I'd kill to get back to 180-200.
Crowd control, that looks like the perfect TW trail cutter. Maybe a few different variations, the single or the dual TW trail blazer attachment.

·
Registered
928 Posts
On some of the older bikes, the weld of the bottom mount on the rear shock was about 3/8" diameter - much too thin for anything more than street riding. Mine broke when I went off trail to hug a tree on my first off-road ride. Luckily, the guys were able to get the broken end settled into the bracket and it held long enough for me to limp back to camp (thanks TopPredator & co!).

Newer stock-shocks have a much wider weld that is closer to 1" to 1-1/2". If you want to do any rough riding, definitely take a look at the bottom mount for the weld size. If it looks like a tiny connection, investing in a newer shock is a great idea.

New Shock 2.jpg
Image of my original shock where it broke along the bottom mount. The weld was incredibly tiny!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wish I knew about these older shock welds a few weeks ago. I just replaced my rusty '87 shock with another '87 in great condition. Now every time I take out the bike I'll be worried about the shock failing! Damnit - I'm going to have to buy another shock...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really a trail bike. If you want to jump get something with more travel. But small drops and jumps are fun.
I'm still a noob, only been riding off and on for 25 years or so, but I'm pretty familiar with what kind of bikes are out there and what their intended usage patterns are. I'm more interested in the capabilities and limits of this particular bike.
I know it's not a motocross bike

On some of the older bikes, the weld of the bottom mount on the rear shock was about 3/8" diameter - much too thin for anything more than street riding. Mine broke when I went off trail to hug a tree on my first off-road ride. Luckily, the guys were able to get the broken end settled into the bracket and it held long enough for me to limp back to camp (thanks TopPredator & co!).

Newer stock-shocks have a much wider weld that is closer to 1" to 1-1/2". If you want to do any rough riding, definitely take a look at the bottom mount for the weld size. If it looks like a tiny connection, investing in a newer shock is a great idea.

View attachment 182406
Image of my original shock where it broke along the bottom mount. The weld was incredibly tiny!
Ouch! I gave mine a once-over after that session, but was mostly looking at frame side welds. I will have to check the shock itself later today. I wonder if there are any automotive coilovers that would be a decent drop-in replacement?

I wish I knew about these older shock welds a few weeks ago. I just replaced my rusty '87 shock with another '87 in great condition. Now every time I take out the bike I'll be worried about the shock failing! Damnit - I'm going to have to buy another shock...
At least you'll have a spare.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
I once broke my frame where footpeg, swingarm pivot, skid plate and engine mount all tend to concentrate their loads. Of course I was doing something stupid at the time trying to jump an insignificant arroyo with too much gear on the back.
So checking bike out after some extended jumping is a good idea. The GIF video in post #1 looks safe and sane to me.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Looks reasonable to me.

I jump that height all the time. The highest I got was less then 2 feet off the ground and it bottoms out gently as I absorb the rest with my legs. If I didn't it would bottom out harder and I weigh less less then 150lbs. I'd like to upgrade my suspension and my jumping height a little but have no desire to do motocross style jumps.

IMO...If you work your height of jump up slowly, you'll know what is safe as long as the suspension and your legs can absorb enough of the impact that you don't overly stress parts of the bike.

I should also add that that even a hard tail street bike can handle a decent jump if the take off and landing are suitable to reduce impact and provide a smooth jump.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My frame broke under the tank. I thought it puny construction, since nobody over about 175 pounds has ever been on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
TW_Jump-2.jpg I got her about 3' in the air on this jump with no problems but I don't think I will try any higher, these things land like a sack of bricks...be careful. "Anybody can jump a motorcycle, the trouble begins when you try to land it" - Evil Knievel

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Jumping a TeeDub is like parachute jumping with a bed sheet...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts