TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
I first thought Just-passin-thru was offering a Sazarac cocktail and I thought "He's been to New Orleans!"

IBA Official Cocktail
A Sazerac at the Sazerac Bar, The Roosevelt New Orleans Hotel
TypeCocktail
Primary alcohol by volume
ServedStraight up; without ice
Standard garnishLemon peel
Standard drinkware
Old Fashioned glass
IBAspecified ingredients*
PreparationRinse a chilled old-fashioned glass with the absinthe, add crushed ice and set it aside.Stir the remaining ingredients over ice and set it aside. Discard the ice and any excess absinthe from the prepared glass, and strain the drink into the glass. Add the Lemon peel for garnish.[SUP][1][/SUP]
NotesNote: The original recipe changed in the latter part of the 19th century. Rye whiskey was substituted when cognac became difficult to obtain.

Sazerac
The Sazerac is a local New Orleans variation of a Cognac or whiskey cocktail, named for the Sazerac de Forge et Fils brand of Cognac brandy that served as its original main ingredient.[SUP][1][/SUP] The drink is most traditionally a combination of cognac or rye, absinthe, Peychaud's Bitters, and sugar, although bourbon whiskey and/or Herbsaint are sometimes substituted. Some claim it is the oldest known American cocktail,[SUP][2][/SUP] with origins in pre–Civil War New Orleans, although drink historian David Wondrich is among those who dispute this,[SUP][3][/SUP] and American instances of published usage of the word cocktail to describe a mixture of spirits, bitters, and sugar can be traced to the dawn of the 19th century.[SUP][4][/SUP]

[h=2]Characteristics[edit][/h]The defining feature of the Sazerac is its method of preparation, which commonly involves two chilled old-fashioned glasses. The first glass is swirled with a wash of absinthe for its flavor and strong scent.[SUP][5][/SUP] The second glass is used to combine the remaining ingredients, which are stirred with ice, then strained into the first glass.[SUP][6][/SUP] Various anisettes such as pastis, Pernod, or Herbsaint are common substitutes when absinthe is unavailable. In New Orleans, Herbsaint is most commonly used due to the absence of absinthe in the U.S. market from 1912 until 2007.[SUP][7][/SUP]

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can attest to Saranac Adirondack lager. Very good beer brewed just 2 hours from my doorstep.

Tom
I'll make the runs.

If we're talking Moab; or Route 66; or anything Western...it'll be awhile. Gotta run to Utica with my Wee-Strom...load maybe three cases on the tail...and then head west.

Lather; Rinse; Repeat.

Happy to do it. Who should I forward the hotel bills to?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'll make the runs.

If we're talking Moab; or Route 66; or anything Western...it'll be awhile. Gotta run to Utica with my Wee-Strom...load maybe three cases on the tail...and then head west.

Lather; Rinse; Repeat.

Happy to do it. Who should I forward the hotel bills to?
Why Fred of course!

Tom

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sorry you won't be around Croatoan. You are a good guy from everything I can tell. I know you take issue with how ZDR1's sabotage was flushed out regarding the upcoming Moab trip, and I hope you don't let anything I did make or break your participation on the forum. I'm referring to him calling the local sheriff and RV campground host at Moah with outrageous claims, sure to draw unwanted attention to all TW200 participants. I didn't enjoy it, but he had a plan that would/will/does harm everyone who plans/planned to attend Moab and it was exposed.

In the meantime, I'll still be trying to make Moab and drink some beer. Probably by myself, but I enjoy my company. Ha!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can hear the drum beat now....."from the land of sky blue water".......Judy and I went to college in Appleton WS so we were exposed to Hamms all the time, but I never took up drinking beer until my 30s.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I can hear the drum beat now....."from the land of sky blue water".......Judy and I went to college in Appleton WS so we were exposed to Hamms all the time, but I never took up drinking beer until my 30s.
Living up in Wausau back in the late 1970s used to down that swill "Point" Beer....cheap buzz....

Really looking back on some of that s*it we drank in College, Falstaff, Golden Gobles, Rolling Rock, and the Wisconsin/Upper Midwest Stuff, was, looking back, not all that bad...wouldn't touch it today unless I was dead broke or just plain dead :p

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Absolutely nothing to do with Cro's departure, but we always like a good clean forum hijacking don't we eh? I'm not an airline hijacker so I have to play one on the forum!

1960's

1970's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts