TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 4 hour ride late this morning. It was really too late in the day already because the temps were rocketing upward and the humidity made it worse. Luckily, I was moving most of the time, so my Coretech jacket and Under Armor t-shirt helped to keep me cool. But once I got home and saw how RED my hands were, I remembered why I should have taken more time to dig through my bike closet to find light weight gloves. Sunburns suck. Curse of the red-head :mad: :rolleyes: In the heat of summer, usually I'll forgo the jacket and just wear a long sleeve shirt, cargo pants and wear lots of SPF 100 sunblock. But I realize riding dirt tracks are a hell of a lot more hazardous than cruising down the back roads on a bagger.

So what gear do you guys wear for summer riding? The all-season Coretech has armor in it, making it versitile and not overwhelmingly stifling in the summer. But what kind of gloves do you wear? What kind of boots? Do you wear a full-face dirtbike helmet, or a 3/4 or a shorty? Do your gloves have knuckle armor? Have you ever had a spill and been immensely grateful for the gear you had on at the time (not counting a helmet because that's a given). What stuff do you have, but wish you'd spent a little more to upgrade to better quality?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For the hot days I will either wear either my Infinit Sports mesh armoured jacket or my six six one armoured top.
For gloves I will wear one of the many off road motorbike / mountain bike gloves.
For pant I wear a pair of Thor off road pants with vents.
For boots Gaerne G-Adventure Boots.
If going off road a full face helmut with duck bill, if in town an open face and if on the hiway another full face.
When it is cooler I have another adventure jacket and have other gloves.
For boots I have the motocross - don't were much as they are hard to walk in and have a pair of shorty street boots.
Just got back from a sweltering ride and all the gear is in the sun drying out.

Never ride without protection.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
807 Posts
Im sure Ill be the minimalist in the bunch. :)

On my sporty I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

On the the road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

Off road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

I see a trend forming :)

As things start to cool down I do own full face helmets, a lined armored jacket, lined armored pull over pants. But if it gets too cold I dont ride because its not enjoyable and I ride for enjoyment. I am looking into some waterproof boots, mine are not waterproof and thats not good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Jackets: Scorpion XDR - Good 3 season jacket, waterproof (mostly). Bearable up to about 80F. Loads of pockets. Has a neat removable neck ruff for cold weather riding.
Alpinestars armored leather jacket. No idea what model it is. I gave up trying to find a leather jacket without a bunch of @*#&% holes in it and told my neighborhood store to find me one. Good from about 55F (with a liner) - 85F (stay moving)
Speed & Strength mesh armored jacket. Great above 70F, useless under that. It's like wearing an armored T-shirt. Hot weather only.
Gloves: Alpinestars Overland Drystars Very toasty. Waterproof as long as you have dry hands putting them on and remember to tuck the gauntlet inside[/] your sleeve.
Speed & Strength mesh short cuff gloves. Good airflow, padded knuckles. I only wear these off road.
Teknic Violators (the version minus the @#$! holes). Main street riding gloves. A short step away from being a full race gauntlet they have the hard knuckles, kangaroo palm, palm sliders, etc. Just missing the pinky finger wrap. You'll have to pray for a pair on FleaBay as Teknic sadly went out of business
Joe Rocket Highside 2.0 Backup pair in case the gloves I set out in get soaked. Lightweight leather, padded knuckles.
Pants: Tourmaster Overpants: Very nice 3 season (4 if it's pouring) over-your-jeans drawers. Hard knee armor, extra hip padding. Took 2 years for the dreaded crotch leak to show up so I'm suitably impressed.
Boots Hoffman's Lineman Hiker. I'm used to the weight of a line boot, but most others would call it awful. The hikers have breathable panels to keep the heat reasonable, with dual steel shanks you'll have no idea why everyone complains about the stock footpegs. Good all-purpose boot, should last for quite awhile. Mine are an their 6th year.
Sidi Vortex offroad boots. Excellent construction, took forever and a day to break in. I bought them 8-10 years ago and just this year broke a buckle. Still wearing 'em. Kinda skinny in the calf area.
Sidi Vertebra road boots. Also excellent construction, bought at the same time as the off road boots. Still going strong. Feels like wearing bedroom slippers with extra protection. No arch support, insoles recommended if you're going to be doing a lot of off-bike walking.
Helmets: Shoei Neotec Borealis Flip front, nice around town doing your errands lid. The added integral sun visor is nice, comes equipped witha pin lock shield. Noisy as all get out at road speed
Shoei RF 1100 Excellent fit and finish, vents work very well to keep your head cool. Quiet at speed. (my current one is trash, thusly the Borealis. I'll be replacing the battered RF 1100 soon)
Fly Trekker Off road helmet. It's white, it was cheap. I don't like it much, there are a pair of pressure points at the front that disagree with my skull. It'll do for the meantime.
Fulmer Apache Spare full face. Nice fit & finish. Not as quiet as the Shoei, but reasonable.
Fulmer No idea what model spare off-road helmet. Goggles don't work well with glasses si it was relegated to the shelf.
Misc Fly offroad pants/jersey/chestplate combo for happy fun times in the mud.
Thor knee/shin guards
Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 Heated jacket liner
Frogg Toggs Packable, breathable waterproof. Awesome.
Carharrt Bibs and Black Duck jacket. Not technically bike gear, but for the fall run through the Allegheny Nat'l Forest they're highly recommended.

I've probably forgot a bunch of stuff, but that's the basic list. For preference I like gauntleted gloves and you'll never catch me in a shorty helmet. My face isn't anything to write home about, but I'd like to keep it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've been wearing gloves that come with palm sliders in case u have a getoff, reducing wrist fractures and reduces strain on the leather and stitching. Knox and branda that feature the Knox scaphoid protection sliders afe amazing. They feature dual palm sliders and their sliders are round and stick out enough so make contact with the pavement easily.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Im sure Ill be the minimalist in the bunch. :)

On my sporty I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

On the the road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

Off road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

I see a trend forming :)

As things start to cool down I do own full face helmets, a lined armored jacket, lined armored pull over pants. But if it gets too cold I dont ride because its not enjoyable and I ride for enjoyment. I am looking into some waterproof boots, mine are not waterproof and thats not good.
I am exactly the same as TWROG except swap the glasses for SCOTT goggles and swap the leather palmed mesh gloves with pig hide work gloves and I have a Bell full face. The only actual riding gear I own is my helmet and goggles.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ive actually been looking for googles. And work gloves? When it starts to get a little cooler I wear them. It was in the low 50s in this pic during my Ironbutt ride.

Just noticed another, when its colder I wear chaps. Dont like wearing them much......makes me look too much like a Harley guy :) But hey, they were free :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have three mesh jackets, a Fox Titan armored (mesh) jacket, mesh pants, various lightweight gloves, but the boots aren't lightweight at all... Sidi Crossfire 2's if it's intense riding, Sidi Adventures if less intense, and some Sedici street boots if I'm just running around town on errands.

If I wear the Titan armored jacket, I'll wear one of those cool-max undershirts beneath it, and a jersey over it (to keep the dust off), and if the riding is especially intense, I have Klim pants with huge vents that I'll wear with knee braces; otherwise my mesh (street) pants do just fine in the dirt with their built-in armor.

My helmet is usually my GMax GM68 (regular street helmet) which has a TON of big vents so it cools very well. Never cared for MX helmets except for snowmobiling.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Depends on the ride.. On the tw i usually wear aerostich pants, asolo hiking boots, nexgen jacket and either a fly trekker or shoei rf900 helmet and a pair of gauntlet sport bike gloves. If its really hot and its just me and the wife cruising back roads at 35mph or less on the scooter than i pretty much wear shorts, tshirt and gloves with safety glasses. Im glad i live in Indiana where we dont have helmet laws and can own any guns we want.. Merica!!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I wear Motocross gear. THH MX helmet or AFX FX-39 Dual Sport helmet. Alpinestars Tech 5 boots, MX pants (have 5 pairs Answer, MSR, FLY, Moose, Fox), Fox Dirt Paw gloves, and a MX Jersey or sweatshirt when cooler, or my 3/4 length Tourmaster Enduro jacket when cold out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
In really hot weather l soak down my cooling vest and wear it under my mesh jacket. It feels great until the hot air dries it out then it's like wearing a quilt until I soak it again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this. Do it!...I don't care.

The advantage, to me, of a little bike...was the spontaneity. I learned this years ago, when I had a TU250 and a BMW R1200GS.

Getting the GS out...was a project. Heavy to roll out. Had to warm up. Tall to climb up on; and it was a BEAST to ride. Balanced, yes; but you always knew the power you held.

You wore body armor. Only a fool would go without; because you KNEW...like riding an elephant, you could be tossed.

The TU...was the friendly machine. Half the weight. Push it out without thinking; this was in an area that didn't require helmets. I ought to know better, but often I did: Just get on and RIDE three blocks. Engine didn't act as if it needed a warm-up (in fact every engine does) but smooth and reliable from the first cold start. Go get the paper, and ride back...a lark.

Some of that thinking carries on to my current two. I have a Honda CB1100. Much more user-friendly than the imposing GS; but still a handful. I respect it.

The TW...feels, if it's not in fact, LIGHTER than that TU250. It pushes around like a bicycle. It's so light it almost doesn't feel like a motorcycle - it feels like a Schwinn with a Chicken-Power gas engine.

I don't ride without a helmet anymore. But, unwisely, with the TW...that's often the only gear I'll have. Get on; go; get the paper and the supplies for dinner; throw them in the basket bolted to the rear. Go home. It's all good.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My summer gloves are these Nishiki Cycling gloves. They have enough padding to keep my hands from falling asleep and I feel they offer plenty of protection. Light weight and cool.

image.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you don't mind me asking for those wearing an mx style boot how is it you guys shift gears. I bought a pair of fox comp 5 boots to protect my left leg from further damage (was severely injured few years ago and is left with a pretty sizeable indent of missing tissue) when I go trail riding. I have not taken the TW yet as I just got it but when I had my DR I simply could not shift with them on so I left it in second and that game me more than enuff range of speeds for trails I was riding. With the little Tw I gonna need to shift obviously. I figure I going to have to raise the shift lever up and use my leg to shift rather than my ankle (can't move ankle in the boot). Or sell the boots and ride with my street boots (shin high zip up work style boots) but they don't protect my leg nearly as much.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tinybear, I had to pull the shift lever off and rotate it around a bit to get the Sidi's toe box to fit. They didn't flex at the ankle for a long time after I got them so shifting was ...interesting for awhile. Sort of a leg-raise movement.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If you don't mind me asking for those wearing an mx style boot how is it you guys shift gears. I bought a pair of fox comp 5 boots to protect my left leg from further damage (was severely injured few years ago and is left with a pretty sizeable indent of missing tissue) when I go trail riding. I have not taken the TW yet as I just got it but when I had my DR I simply could not shift with them on so I left it in second and that game me more than enuff range of speeds for trails I was riding. With the little Tw I gonna need to shift obviously. I figure I going to have to raise the shift lever up and use my leg to shift rather than my ankle (can't move ankle in the boot). Or sell the boots and ride with my street boots (shin high zip up work style boots) but they don't protect my leg nearly as much.
I had to buy a longer shift lever, and use the stock foot pegs. With the wide pegs, I couldn't shift. Still, it wasn't easy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You can also just move the shift lever up; get your toe under it.

I haven't tried it yet. I'm guessing from memory - it's directly on a splined shaft. Too bad; many machines have it connected by a threaded rod to give infinite adjustment.

If worst comes to worst, you could bend one on a vice to give a small amount of change, beyond what the splines on the shaft allow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Pretty much full MX gear. Answer boots, MSR Dual Sport pants (fairly well armored) fox elbow guards, chest protector, jersey, KBC MX helmet, goggles. If it's cold, I wear my Polaris "spring" snowmobile jacket from when I lived out West and spring was often warm in the spring. Any time I wear less, I am just not as confident or comfortable.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone wear heavy work boots with shin guards like Thor and Fox make? Non of them seem to protect the inside of your leg, which seems to be vulnerable to being gouged by the foot peg in an accident. I can't afford a decent pair of armored pants right now, but would like to keep from tearing my legs apart when I fall (and I'm sure I'll fall more than once).

·
Registered
736 Posts
all the years I did touring and weekend rallies, even in hot weather I'd wear leather jacket, unless it was super hot. Then a long sleeve shirt, still jeans and 6" work boots. The I got a fabric jacket, wet bandana around my neck. A lot of the new-ish riding gear has come out in the inbetween years since I quit doing long distance. I used to wear bicycle gloves in summer, no fingers. otherwise, lightweight unlined gloves for summer, never bare hands.

jeans are a mess in hot weather tho..I used to be miserable in them. I look for good, used gear sometimes. I found a pair of Icon pants for $125, wear them overtop, haven't gone to check them out yet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts