TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in the rear. Knocks you out of the seat and down goes the TW. At a stop sign...the bane of expat Californians.

MISSES the fender. Impact is on the rear tire. But the machine goes down HARD. Bends a brake lever like spagetti. Continues to run 30 seconds, wheel spinning in the air, while you get your wits.

I got the a-hole's plate. Shook up, I waved him off...I didn't want that schitthead touching me anymore. But then I discover the handbrake lever farked up.

Should I have killed him slowly? Or with one shot?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
...in the rear. Knocks you out of the seat and down goes the TW. At a stop sign...the bane of expat Californians.

MISSES the fender. Impact is on the rear tire. But the machine goes down HARD. Bends a brake lever like spagetti. Continues to run 30 seconds, wheel spinning in the air, while you get your wits.

I got the a-hole's plate. Shook up, I waved him off...I didn't want that schitthead touching me anymore. But then I discover the handbrake lever farked up.

Should I have killed him slowly? Or with one shot?
Waved him off???? Should have done like any other legal rider might have and laid on the ground writhing in pain!

GaryL

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't that simple - really. He got out; was (of course) solicitious. And he was twenty years younger and my own size. In udder words, he was a young bear and I am an aging bear.

We went over the bike. Oddly, I couldn't find damage on the side it was dropped. He hit the tire - we lined it up. I didn't hit my head or anything.

It was only two blocks later that I found the impact got absorbed by the brake lever.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I should have.
But I got raised to be honest rather than clever. I didn't even think of that until he was already out and helping me right the TW.
My loss. Nice guys finish last.
Good for you! You are to be congratulated. You got bumped, no harm, no need for lawyers...
As long as the guy wasn't an asshole, I'd just be glad no one got hurt.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Always............ get police their to fill a report and take pics a lot.............. You never know a week later you might find a certain pain caused by the accident. Not every pain is right then and now. Or damage might not be seen even by a mechanic.
Best advice yet! ^^^^^^^^.

My wife took a hit from behind and did get the accident report and pictures but two days later she fell out at work. Fractured two vertebrates in her neck and now has a titanium plate fusing them together. She said it was just a minor hit and no big deal ---$75,000 later. You don't have a clue what damage may have been done to the bike or you until the adrenaline subsides and you have a chance to assess the real damage.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Can NOT agree ^^^^^^

Because, as Gulfrider said, a lot of injuries are not seen or felt at the scene of the accident. The TW rider did not just get "bumped". His bike was knocked over, and damaged on the right side...i.e. the front brake lever, at least. Getting "bumped" is when there is NO damage, and the bike or rider does not fall down.

I am NOT advocating to sue the car driver. But the police should have been called, a police report should have been filed, and all pertinent info about the car driver should have been shared with the bike rider, and the police.

Example...what if this particular car driver was driving on a suspended license, or has a DUI in his/her record. What if he/she was wanted by the police?

Again, I am not advocating to "make money" off this accident. But that is why I have 100 % insurance coverage on every vehicle I own. And I expect all drivers to have the same insurance...which we all know a lot of them don't.

So, why should the motorcycle rider in this case have to pay for the damage done to his bike, or the possible medical bills he may incur......?
This. Always get the police involved for ANY accident. You never know what will pop up...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Now for the big "IF". "If" you are even lucky enough to get any law enforcement to even show up & "If" they feel like taking a statement & filing a report and "If" you are lucky enough the insurance company is willing to help you, then you are one lucky sole. "If" you live in the P.R.O.K. these are just some of the "If's" you will be subject to. The biggest "If" of them all is "If" you are truly lucky enough to walk away from the accident completely unharmed physically, you are incredibly lucky, & should go & purchase a lottery ticket. You could get lucky twice.

PLEASE don't take my pessimistic view as any reason to not follow the good advise, ALL of the good advise presented in this thread. One would be foolhardy not to... (Rant alert) m.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Glad you're okay, and hope you'll not find any additional injuries in the future.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can NOT agree ^^^^^^

Because, as Gulfrider said, a lot of injuries are not seen or felt at the scene of the accident. The TW rider did not just get "bumped". His bike was knocked over, and damaged on the right side...i.e. the front brake lever, at least. Getting "bumped" is when there is NO damage, and the bike or rider does not fall down.

I am NOT advocating to sue the car driver. But the police should have been called, a police report should have been filed, and all pertinent info about the car driver should have been shared with the bike rider, and the police.

Example...what if this particular car driver was driving on a suspended license, or has a DUI in his/her record. What if he/she was wanted by the police?

Again, I am not advocating to "make money" off this accident. But that is why I have 100 % insurance coverage on every vehicle I own. And I expect all drivers to have the same insurance...which we all know a lot of them don't.

So, why should the motorcycle rider in this case have to pay for the damage done to his bike, or the possible medical bills he may incur......?
I don't disagree. I just didn't handle it well.

I did get his plate number; and I considered going to the cop shop after the fact. But I figured it would be a case of You-Snooze-You-Lose...they'd give zero piority to finding the guy; and then I'd have a six-page Accident Report to fill out on pain of whatever the violation is. And I'd still get nothing,

It gets better. This happened JUST OUTSIDE THE GENERAL OFFICES of the corporation that owns my employer. Yeah, that's a little town...it's a small corporation but very big as a family business...albeit stock traded on the NASDAQ. But the railroad dispatch and personnel offices are right there...and at this moment I'm in a sort of no-man's land, not quite AWOL but they wanna know where I'm at.

Since I have 24 days left before I'm obligate to report back to work, with the on-call Chinese Fire Drill that entails...I'm enjoying the fall now. But I didn't want a big scene just outside the offices, and in fact almost directly in their driveway apron.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
"My loss. Nice guys finish last." - Nice guys ride TWs. Good for you.
A police report might have been a wise idea should injuries surface later.
I have heard gossip that in many parts of California the police will not respond unless an injury is claimed in the initial 911 call.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My Bad. Here you go.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
rofl.gif You're not pissing me off, Mike. But my reading of this, and JustPassingThru, I mean no disrespect, and I certainly wasn't there to see what happened... is that a car in back of him hit him enough to "knock him off the seat" It does not say "knocked him down" or "I went fliying" or anything that would make me think there was much velocity involved. It was enough to cause him to drop the bike. The guy hopped out and was apologetic. No noticeable damage since they both looked the bike over. Turns out later, a bent lever. If it is worth the time and aggravation to wait for the cops and file paper work and inform insurance companies over a $15 lever, well, its your time , not mine. I have been on both sides of this. Been lightly rear ended 30 years ago in my 67 VW and there was a small dent and a scratch. I said, "Who cares?" and off we went. The guy that hit me was driving a Mercedes. I rolled into the back of a taxi at a stop light in New York City. The driver didn't even get out, just called me an idiot. The passenger in the back seat grabbed his neck like "WHIPLASH", and then laughed. Light changed and off they went.

Lynn and I were riding last year in New Hampshire on Sandwich Notch Road... its fairly rough dirt. As I rode up a steep hill, a car stopped at the top. I was thinking "...don't start down..." because it was loose and narrow. As I went by, the woman yelled out the window about the road, so I pulled in behind her because it was narrow. The idiot opened her door wide just as Lynn was coming up to the hill top, at a decent clip because it was steep. Opened the door right in front of her, she swerved, into the ditch, and then bounced out and went down, rolling into the brush on the roadside. Smashed the mirror on her bike. Lynn was OK.
The woman wanted to know how rough the road got...way to rough for her car. I called her an idiot, and was pissed off and let her know it. We just rode off and left her there, and she drove forward... I figured she was likely to do way more damage to her Prius than the cost of a mirror. I bought one from Werloc on the forum when we got home.

In all my examples, thank goodness, they were not serious, so it wasn't a big deal. If there was the potential of personal injury or serious property damage, well of course, you have to do what's required. If not, why make a mountain out of a molehill?
PS. Lynn had a couple of bruises after that tumble...but she's tough.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
JPT does mention it happened in front of his work place, so since there was no visible damage, he probably wanted to just get back into work as fast as he could without having to "hear about it" later from his co-workers...??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JPT does mention it happened in front of his work place, so since there was no visible damage, he probably wanted to just get back into work as fast as he could without having to "hear about it" later from his co-workers...??
Actually it's the Front Orifice it happened in front of. And yes, there was the possibility that the guy who hit me might represent a supplier or contractor, and if I got ugly with him...this is a big family business, with shares publicly sold but with the family having majority ownership. And new employees on probation have gotten sacked for simply pissing off key people; or having complaints trickle down.

I'm long past probation, even though I'm new there. I'm on Layoff and I'm exercising my 30-day time allowance to return after notice. There's a strategy to that, that has nothing with Unemployment or free money. Take me about two pages to list them.

But the Official Line is that I'm out of town on business, being laid off and searching for other work. If I proffer that, and then lie writhing on the apron to the General Office Building (affectionately known as the "GOB" to us peons)...if I lie there, waiting for an ambulance and a slip-and-fall lawyer to come and rescue me...old Dennis Washington who owns the company, or one of his lieutenants, will look to see what is the commotion out front and make inquiries. And then I have a big bullseye on my back.

So...the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that I done the right thing. Even if for the wrong reasons....carelessness...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Always............ get police their to fill a report and take pics a lot.............. You never know a week later you might find a certain pain caused by the accident. Not every pain is right then and now. Or damage might not be seen even by a mechanic.
After my second, and last, major MC accident, I made sure not to sign anything the old fart's insurance company tried to pay me off with....and although I did not sue the guy{should have looking back}, I got what I thought was a fair settlement at the time....turns out the damage done physically lasted for years {about 7 or 8} my back has never been completely the same....but when you do a 360 and more, landing on butt and back of helmet, those things happen....

good luck and hopefully no long term physical issues...the TW can always be repaired or replaced....disks, bones, muscles, and joints, not so much:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts