TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The plan was to depart from my home in Cherry Valley, CA, at about 9:30 A.M., ride the highways up to a fire road leading up into the mountains, do some gnarly rock crawling/single track, etc. and return home in the evening.

Here is a copy-and-paste of the route that I mapped out:
"EXIT 50 (from 215 N), R on Palm Avenue (L onto Little League drive for gas at Arco, thenback to Palm Ave) - turns into Bailey Canyon Rd. - turns into 2N49 -
turns into Cleghorn Rd, turn N onto highway 138, turn E onto highway 173, turn R onto
2N33/Pilot Rock Truck Trail, turn R onto highway 173, turn L onto Hook Creek Rd (Cedar
Glen Gas Stop) - turns into Crab flats (Dishpan Spring) - 2W03, turn L onto Malcolm Smith
Trail (Redonda Ridge Trail/1W17; just before Crab Flats Campground/3N16)."

Aside from my twisted ankle (it's not too bad - I think it will probably heal within a week or two), the day actually did go as planned, for the most part. The only divergences were that we took 2N17 instead of just 2N33 (it's a shortcut that goes straight through from the beginning of 2N33 to a point on the other end of 2N33 [2N33 loops around/goes the long way, but 2N17 is more fun/technical]) and that the timing was way off. I estimated that I would be done with the last planned trail (Malcolm Smith Trail) MUCH earlier (around 2:30 or 3). Part of that was stopping fairly frequently to take lots of photos, but we also weren't pushing ourselves speed-wise (aside from a few adrenaline-junkie hooligan blasts here and there), and my brother had to do a few inhaler-stops (asthma). We ended up getting out of the last/hardest trail on my plan at about 7 p.m. From there it was easy fire roads back to highway 38, a quick gas stop, and back down the mountain to a hot shower and 4th of July leftovers ( hot dogs-in-buns and cherry Sprite - I had two in a row). I was on my mighty 2015 Yamaha XT 250 (lol) and my brother was on his 1987 Honda XR 600 (plated). Have a look at the pictures. Dishpan Spring (Crab Flats rd) and Malcolm Smith Trail are the real deal - some serious technical workouts :)

My XT 250 sitting in the driveway, ready for adventure:

IDR 50.jpg

The Arco Station off of Palm Ave. :

IDR 49.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2N49/In the Mountains above Silverwood Lake:

IDR 45.jpg IDR 46.jpg IDR 47.jpg IDR 48.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A hill climb on 2N17:

IDR 43.jpg IDR 44.jpg

Free covered parking in Lake Arrowhead was a bit crowded... :

IDR 42.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some legit rock crawling through Dishpan Spring (Crab Flats Rd.):

IDR 37.jpg IDR 38.jpg IDR 39.jpg IDR 40.jpg IDR 41.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another from Dishpan:

IDR 8.jpg

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Classic Honda thumper! You two did some serious rock gardening .

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Malcolm Smith Trail (some of the hardest [most fun!] stuff within this trail system!):

IDR 4.jpg IDR 5.jpg IDR 6.jpg IDR 7.jpg Independence Day Ride 1.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
More Malcolm Smith (not far after this was where I fell and twisted my ankle - right in the MIDDLE of the hardest trail: got trapped under the bike, all twisted up, down the side of a hill, with the CycleRack pinning my leg in there...took a couple minutes to figure out how the hell to lift the bike off of me and free myself, from that very precarious position...all the while the ankle was quite painful lol...):

IDR 29.jpg IDR 30.jpg IDR 31.jpg IDR 32.jpg IDR 33.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
More Malcolm Smith:

IDR 34.jpg IDR 35.jpg IDR 36.jpg

My video isn't working...I'll try and upload it later.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And, finally, the little Yamaha, back in its spot on the pad at home (pretending it's just a budget city-commuter, with no one the wiser):

IDR 51.jpg IDR 52.jpg

·
Registered
636 Posts
kudos on some amazing trails. I am dumbfounded as to how the Honda made it up some of that stuff an those street tires.
Very impressed.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Certainly a trail for the young rider, good rider, or both. Some bragging rights to be had for sure after some of those trails. Glad you didn't come out worse other than the twisted ankle.

For me, I would have thrown in the towel long before this encounter. Just to much work for me. I would rather not get jostled around too much.

Tough ride and an accomplishment. Good job!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kudos on some amazing trails. I am dumbfounded as to how the Honda made it up some of that stuff an those street tires.
Very impressed.
LOL yea, he gets that a lot :) In some situations, they aren't actually as bad as one might think (on the rocks, for example, they actually hook up pretty well). I have ridden that bike quite a lot, myself. Sometimes they tend to spin a lot more than a knobby, but in some ways it's actually pretty fun riding nasty off road stuff with supermoto rubber :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Admiral :) Ironically, the ankle thing happened on one of the easier sections (albeit on part of Malcolm Smith Trail...). Just kinda got lazy for a second going down a rocky section...the bike got to bouncing a little too much and then the front wheel slid out and there I was saying "damn it, really, why'd you have to go and do that, KJ!?" lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks like a blast. We have completely different terrain here. Liked the pics!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was going to try and join you guys for this ride. Looking at the pictures I'm kinda glad I didn't make it.

I think I may have been in over my head on some of those steep technical runs. Being a semi new rider ( 1500 miles on my new TW ) , I think I should get some more off road miles under my belt before attempting a ride like this.

Some of those runs look fairly steep & rocky. Don't they say that it's always steeper in person than in a photo, yikes.

It does look like it was a blast though.

MidnightRider

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I was going to try and join you guys for this ride. Looking at the pictures I'm kinda glad I didn't make it.

I think I may have been in over my head on some of those steep technical runs. Being a semi new rider ( 1500 miles on my new TW ) , I think I should get some more off road miles under my belt before attempting a ride like this.

Some of those runs look fairly steep & rocky. Don't they say that it's always steeper in person than in a photo, yikes.

It does look like it was a blast though.

MidnightRider
I wouldn't have minded helping or riding your bike up some of the hardest sections (had you given up on any of it, or not wanted to try certain parts - had you been okay with that [I can understand if not]). But yea, it definitely helps to have a lot of experience. I've been riding dual sports since 2007. I had about 4 drops during that ride: at least two of them were because I would catch up to the XR on hard parts and instead of hanging back and waiting, I'd keep going on a bad line/when I couldn't see jack because of the dust clouds...finally learned my lesson (patience...) and quit doing that lol.

Is the TW your first bike? I'd recommend a stronger-than-stock skid plate, if you don't already have one, and some good bars and lever guards (or at least carry spare clutch and brake levers - and tools to change them with - for rides like these).

If you want to join us in Beaumont some time for a weekend morning ride, just shoot me a PM on here, with your cell. There are a couple of things in my local riding spot that I'd rate harder than anything in the pics :) My usual MO is to find and conquer all the hardest terrain I possibly can; that being said, I don't mind taking a chill pill now and again and doing a bit easier stuff. Would love to see another TW in the wild again if you want to come out this way some time (Beaumont)!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts