TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1995 at a Boat Show I bought a 12-Pak Softcooler. The quality of these USA made Softcoolers is outstanding and we used it a lot. Last year I some how busted the liner and it started leaking. I had remembered that the company warranted their products so I checked online. They are replacing my cooler for $26 free shipping. 19 years of complete satisfaction.
It's an excellent choice for the back of your TW.

[video]http://www.softcoolers.com/index.htm[/video]

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
May not be cheap but apparently they build a fantastic cooler and stand behind them too! Thanks for sharing this.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Borneo got the real deal in Moab a man's man cooler. GOPR0076.JPG

·
Registered
6,344 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I love stories about high quality products made in the good old US of A. Talk about great customer service too! I just bought some handy plastic shelves from Target, they were on sale, only like 50 cents off per shelf but it was the "Made in the USA" sticker on them that pushed me to make a purchase.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Correction. That is a lawyer man's cooler. Or a doctor man's cooler. That is NOT a everyday man's cooler.

Tom
You got that right especially an everyday man who raised six kids. I spent $17,000 just on braces fixing teeth not to mention all the outfitting for Hunting fishing boating scuba sports and College I have no regrets. I loved watching them enjoy life. Now it's College time again for the girls. Anyone out there who wants to be God Parents Lol

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
It will pay for it's self in about 35 years with all the money he will save on ice.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
It will pay for it's self in about 35 years with all the money he will save on ice.
Gosh I wonder if I have that much time left on earth? May be a few years late to realize that cost savings;)

Tom

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do see the value in the hard Yeti coolers. If I was still salt water fishing like I use to I would buy one.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Yah, yah, yah. I do hear you, the Yeti soft cooler isn't cheap...heck, it's downright insanely expensive. But the Weasel and I learned a lesson on coolers long ago. We use them alot...he in fact uses his Yeti hardside cooler ever single day during the warm months plowing cable, and according to him it paid for itself in one summer from the savings on ice. As for me, I spend an incredible amount of time outdoors, especially in the summer, and while I loved my little Yeti hardside, it was difficult in the boat due to it's inflexible dimensions. The soft cooler was the perfect solution. Especially now that the sticker shock has worn off.

Truth is, I probably wouldn't have bought one around home. It was a vacation present to myself. I really didn't see much else out there that interested me, and I happened to have the change for it since four guys splitting the Moab costs made the trip so inexpensive even I was surprised. I'm pretty much used to paying the freight solo, under which circumstances I wouldn't have had enough money left to buy one of those foam grocery store rigs.

On another note, either Yeti isn't confident enough in their product to give a lifetime warranty...it's only 3 years, or they know the type of people who buy their stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Rick,
No wonder you broke your ankle when you rode with us last year. You shouldn't drink and ride. Not even one, let alone a 12 pack..:p From now on, I'm going to have to check you, and keep an eye on ya. Heal to toe on this line please. Now, keep your head still, and follow my finger with your eyes only please. Woh, .......oops, Fail, your keys please......:D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Even though I can appreciate a fine product and see the benefits of having plentiful ice for days when at sea. I spend everyday with a cooler in the summer and have found MOST coolers priced around 40 or 50 dollars keep ice for two or three days even in the back of a sweltering work van. As a family we camp several 4 and 5 day weekends every year in the summer months. That usually works out to about three people each in three campers. Sometimes there are electrical hookups sometimes just generators for power. This is what I use for my ice needs and it has been amazing!

Amazon.com: Whynter IMC-490SS Portable Ice Maker, 49-Pound, Stainless Steel: Appliances

I should state that I would love to have a Yeti cooler but my vacation money always seems to get spent on my wife:( I think "from experience" mind you, that a Yeti soft side cooler is a man's version of a "Coach" purse. I assume the style never goes out of fashion on a cooler though:D

Tom

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well, Tom, I happen to have two Coach dress belts that look as good as new after 25 years of use.

As for your claims of ice useage in budget coolers...OK, since you claim it, I will accept it, but that has been far from my experience.

I like the Hopper so far. It's got beat around pretty good in the back of the truck and the Ranger, and summer isn't even here yet. Durability looks like it will last the remainder of my lifetime. Granted I'm not going to drag it behind my truck for three miles on a gravel road like this guy. Is the Yeti Hopper Worth $300? | Outside Online

The opening is narrow for loading, but as they say, totally waterproof.

Anyway this wasn't about my cooler, I wasn't recommending it to anyone. It's about Top's cooler. That derned Z, always stirring the pot. :D If he hadn't posted that picture my cooler would have never entered your life.

As for the hard coolers, the Yeti is the only one I have ever found that can share my life as I live it. I've had nothing but trouble with the cheaper ones, broken drains, broken latches, pulled off handles, hinge failure (frequent) you name it. (I've got a Coleman in the garage right now with the lid bungied on that I keep for a fish cooler...piece of poo if you ask me) And they don't hold ice for me like I need them to. So, I pays my money and gets what I like. That being said, I only have one Yeti hardshell, and can't imagine I will ever need another...unless it's a bigger one. It's dirty, grubby and scuffed, but maintains total functional ability after several years of hard use.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I own the smaller yeti soft side and I really like it a lot. I use it mainly on my boat and it's the only soft cooler I have found that will keep ice all day under deck in a rod locker where i stow it. On a hot summer day it gets hot under there.

I plan to get either a yeti or pelican hard cooler for camping/ Baxter state park cabin trips. Where my girlfriend and I go in northern Maine there is no power, no generators allowed and going to get ice or supplies is literally a wasted day affair. We like it eat well so a good cooler is really important to us. I'd also rather hike or fish than have to worry about getting more ice when we go. I have one of those 5 day coolers and that really lasts about 3 before its all water. Bear to proof would be a plus too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I own the smaller yeti soft side and I really like it a lot. I use it mainly on my boat and it's the only soft cooler I have found that will keep ice all day under deck in a rod locker where i stow it. On a hot summer day it gets hot under there.
See? I'm not the only one. :D Cold beer from a sweltering boat locker is very important to the Borneo. As is cold beer from a fully sun exposed soft cooler in the back of the Ranger on a 90 degree day. I can't run post diggers on air at my age.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Next time Tom, pick a subject less controversial like Religion or Sexual Preference. Some guys take coolers, thermos bottles, knives, guns, tools, saddles, fishing rods and reels, tents, backpacks, bows, boats, outboards, motorcycles, quads, side by sides, tractors, hickory shirts, jeans, brush pants, camo clothes, duck calls, decoys, and some other things very seriously.:D

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I have the pelican hard cooler holds ice for 7 (over 110*) to 10 days (under 80*) only problem is it is very heavy when full and empty.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Not being a an alcoholic, never had much use for a cooler in my outdoor adventures. The exception
being icing fish down but we always used big hard ones for that. So I speak from limited experience.
But I found a soft one in a dumpster once from some sort of bank promotion. Amazing insulation, would keep
ice for several days. I still use it but as a duffel. Very tough unit. No identity on it.
So perhaps it's not the brand or cost of cooler but just modern insulation? I recently built a couple of freezers
for a rancher and was just blown away at how much insulation has improved over the last 20 years.
Other than the fashion statement, I bet there's an alternative to spending big bucks for a cold beer.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Next time Tom, pick a subject less controversial like Religion or Sexual Preference. Some guys take coolers, thermos bottles, knives, guns, tools, saddles, fishing rods and reels, tents, backpacks, bows, boats, outboards, motorcycles, quads, side by sides, tractors, hickory shirts, jeans, brush pants, camo clothes, duck calls, decoys, and some other things very seriously.:D
Ok. Well I sincerely regret saying anything about this. In my defense I am catholic so I generally ask forgiveness rather than permission. Oh yeah, I also have a Coach belt and wallet. Belt is great, wallet sucked and barely held together for two years. Both were purchased at the Coach outlet in Waterloo, NY so I didn't spend too much on either. So is this on Borneo's Christmas list?

http://www.amazon.com/Yeti-Rambler-Colster/dp/B00SU9ACGA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_or_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06PVBXYWT20N5E06Z22X

Tom

1 - 20 of 60 Posts