TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As great of a dual sport the Tdub is, with it's "roll through most anything" tires and its great mileage it two glaring shortcomings: power and suspension. Another one for me being 6'3 245lbs the Tdub always felt like a toy.

I know I've seen more than a few discussions about upgrading both engine for more power and suspension for more travel and pusher ride and the conclusion I came to was to find the solution in a different bike. The bike I found those traits in was no other than the Suzuki DRZ 400SM.

Of course it was going to require some mods to make it as trail worthy as the TW200. First thing that had to go were the street tires, replaces with a 150/70-17 Kenda Big Block on the rear and a Shinko 244 5.1x17 on the front. Next thing was a bigger rear sprocket to try and gain back some of that low end grunt, and even though I went from a 41t to a 44t that did help some I may have to jump to a 47t to get there.

Even with the taller tires the DRZ is still low enough for my long legs to reach in some of the rough less confidence inspiring terrain, which I like. If I couldn't reach the ground with ease that would have been a deal breaker. Like that Honda 650L my buddy was tell me to look at.

Best I can describe is if the TW200 and the Hond CRF450 had offspring it would be the DRZ. Which give you fattish tires, short seat hight, plush suspension, more diverse power, cheap to work on.

I may add TW back to the stable given space a funds, in time though, it's still just a really cool/unique ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good looking bike. The TW isn't a perfect fit for everyone, but I sure like mine. I sure like the look of that Suzuki you have there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the same thing that you did. I also bought a 2015 Suzuki drz-400 SM but kept my 2014 TW-200. It was ok for about a month.
Now my DRZ 400 is for sale (2100 miles) .I just can't stay off my Tw200.(11,200 miles)
I would have liked to kept mine but the big deciding factor was space and his closely the DRZ was to the TW200.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
No one motorcycle can do it all.

One of the main reasons I like the TW is that beginners feel at home on it and it's easier to ride with them on another one rather than my much larger dirt bike.
I'd prefer more power and more suspension but then it wouldn't be as low and probably not as easy to ride.

Good luck with the DRZ I like them but like every other motorcycle it's not quite right for everything I would like to do but I might own one in the future anyways.
For others interested in the DRZ, Flash's is a SM model or supermoto, or whatever, and comes with 17" front and rear wheels because it's setup more for road than offroad.
There are offroad models with the standard 21f/18r wheels/tires also.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a DR350 about 40lbs lighter than the DRZ400, gives up liquid cooling and about 7h.p.but the 6sp makes it pretty decent on the road. If I had to choose the TW or the DR, the DR would win (better off road and on, only gives away seat height and ease of use for hunting and exploring to the TW) glad I haven't had to choose yet!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice!

I've looked at the previous 350 and the DRZ400. Look like fun! If wifey and I end up wanting to ride "together" in the future, that's one I'll be seriously looking at. At 6'4" the low seat of the TW is less of a "need" for me, but I'd like something a little better able to cope with 60-70 mph speeds. I have a 33-mile commute each way, rural highways plus gravel, and the rural highways are all 55-65 mph traffic. Something light and fun and fuel sipping would be entertaining to commute on periodically. The Gran Canyon is great for that ride, but it's a big ADV bike at over 500 lbs. There's something to be said for a light and simple dirt or trail bike.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
How can you replace a TW?, not possible. Yes at 260 I bottom out the suspension, but it is telling me to slow down. It will haul me up a hill that is sensible to go up, take me wherever I point the front wheel and get me home. Since O3 I have had only one time to be pulled out because of a faulty ignition pickup. If I need speed it will not be on dirt and gravel, the TW is fast enough for that. When I get on the road it is the 1500 Vulcan or Goldwing. The TW is the last bike I will give up.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am fine on both bikes for regualr riding, but the TW is so easy to jump on and off, paddle through muck and just generally act like a two wheeled ATV, it makes a great hunting/work bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No one motorcycle can do it all.

One of the main reasons I like the TW is that beginners feel at home on it and it's easier to ride with them on another one rather than my much larger dirt bike.
I'd prefer more power and more suspension but then it wouldn't be as low and probably not as easy to ride.

Good luck with the DRZ I like them but like every other motorcycle it's not quite right for everything I would like to do but I might own one in the future anyways.
For others interested in the DRZ, Flash's is a SM model or supermoto, or whatever, and comes with 17" front and rear wheels because it's setup more for road than offroad.
There are offroad models with the standard 21f/18r wheels/tires also.
Totally agree. There's no one bike that does everything. You just have to find the one that does most of what you want to do. I cut my teeth on the TW and had loads of fun on it. So far what I'm finding is that the DRZ isn't quite the tractor that goes through anything with ease like the TW did, it take a little more work and dialing in to fit the rider. The TW is such a simple platform that most anyone can get on it and have fun. That being said, the DRZ is a surprizingly tame bike, that doesn't try to beat you to death. I rode a buddy CRF 450r, and that thing was a beast, it seems like a you spend all your effort trying to keep it reigned in. What I found with the DRZ is you can run 65mph to get to the trials without being slowed by a headwind or hill and when you get to the trial you can still motor through with relative ease.

If I need speed it will not be on dirt and gravel, the TW is fast enough for that. When I get on the road it is the 1500 Vulcan or Goldwing. The TW is the last bike I will give up.
I've got an 1100 Shadow that I use general cruising and taking the wife and little one for rides on. I used to use the TW to run errands, but after getting the Shadow I just couldn't bring myself to throw a leg over the TW and take it into traffic.
20170401_191610(0)-(1).jpg

I am fine on both bikes for regualr riding, but the TW is so easy to jump on and off, paddle through muck and just generally act like a two wheeled ATV, it makes a great hunting/work bike.
And I guess that's the thing, the fella' that bought mines was looking for something he could use hunting up in Colorado, but I've developed a need for something that's more of a light adveture bike that I eat up mile of gravel and pavement and still jump off on a trail and work through the woods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts