TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought this was interesting. It's long, but do like I did and watch it at 2x speed. I tend to watch most YouTube vlogs at 2x and enjoy them more :D .

My first impression was the guy whines a lot. HOWEVER, he did something so totally outside of his comfort zone and all without a solid plan or a map, that I realize I would whine too. He went through some scary situations in unfamiliar territory and got through it all. He set a goal, headed into the unknown, was scared shitless many times, but adapted, overcame, and achieved his goal. Worth a quick watch.

One thing I wonder, though... Is the KLR650 really that fragile, or is it just this guy's inexperience that led to so many breakdowns???

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've contemplated a solo epic motorcycle trip. But... Age (?wisdom?) has convinced me that I wouldn't care for it. Riding solo for 100's of miles a day, simply for the sake of distance or destination is boring. The trip must be shared and planned for daily excursions to see interesting things. he would have better off finding a riding partner first.

Plus he should have made some weekender trips for several months to test his rig for reliability !!! I mean really, using an untested machine, didn't know how to repair a tube??? He was right to be so worried and nervous all the time. What about GPS?? What about maps? Compass? How can he lose his way so many times??

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've contemplated a solo epic motorcycle trip. But... Age (?wisdom?) has convinced me that I wouldn't care for it. Riding solo for 100's of miles a day, simply for the sake of distance or destination is boring. The trip must be shared and planned for daily excursions to see interesting things. he would have better off finding a riding partner first.

Plus he should have made some weekender trips for several months to test his rig for reliability !!! I mean really, using an untested machine, didn't know how to repair a tube??? He was right to be so worried and nervous all the time. What about GPS?? What about maps? Compass? How can he lose his way so many times??
Riding with a good partner is always more enjoyable. However, 5700+ miles and 5 weeks of bouncing around from Alaska to Tennesee was well worth doing solo. My riding buddy got a new job and couldn't make it so my logic was that if I didn't go by myself I never would. No regrets on my side, I saw some gorgeous country and had a great time. Now that was back when I was young and could conquer the world. Or, so I thought!

As far as losing his way so many times...He's a guy, we always lose our way!! :D :p

·
Registered
552 Posts
His video was a little long, but worth watching the whole thing if you're into that type of ride report. Much shorter than watching all of the episodes of Long Way Round.
I think the guy is crazy for attempting such a trip as unprepared as he was, but glad he survived.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
now there is a guy that needed a guide! he was depressing, up to the time he knew he was headed home

1 - 6 of 6 Posts