TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday I started training for a new job. This meant that nothing productive was going to get done on Monday except motorcycling

Completed a 162 mile loop which took a duration of 7+hrs (
) - This included everything from one of the nastiest trails around to some of the largest state highways around. Basically a "true dual sport" trip to clear the mind and prepare mentally for a major life change. Here is a map. Picture it continuing from the end back to the beginning, and me not being too lazy to finish it...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200696098913878066003.0004befc90c9c69c89d20&msa=0&ll=44.423973,-74.481812&spn=0.704186,1.766052

Starting off, rode out of town on gravel and secondary roads to get the bike inspected for the year. $6 and 10 minutes later, the tw200 and I were back on the road.

Stopped to check out an abandoned farm along the way

After a decent stretch of 55mph county road, it was time to hit the secondary roads again and go searching for the terminus of a road that we used to take on our atv's when we were kids. Did not manage to find that particular road, but did instead find the fabled "Boyd Pond Trail" of our youth, one of the muddiest, rockiest, awesomest atv trails around.

After some not-so-bad rocky downhill descents, it started to get interesting-er. It dropped down into a beaver pond basin and then had a muddy ascent up into the ridges beyond...

Now, the pictures don't make it seem that bad. That's because it wasn't that bad yet. This trail however, has an interesting history. It crosses private land but had been open to public use from before the early 1960s until the late 1990s, when the private property changed hands and the trail was gated. It is now open again and being traversed regularly by ATVs.

Side note: In some of the pics you can see why landowners close trails to public use... The "trail braiding" is terrible on this trail because of the massive amount of mud that is encountered. It seems like everybody wanted to make their own bypasses around mudholes, some of which where then used by others, on and on until the trail was 7 trails wide in some spots, every one of which was just a giant mudhole after some use. If these people spent some time to properly corduroy the trail or dig drainage, this massive attack on the land would not be required, and the trail would be easy to ride. But enough ranting.

Many travelers have been claimed by this trail:

Please keep your appendages inside the vehicle at all times while the ride is operating...

After making it through the rest of the trail, I continued on my way around The North Country.

This place is very close to my childhood home. We always called it "The Big Mudpuddle" -- water level was up to the fins on the jug of my tw200 today. Amazingly, this is a "dry year" for us

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the humongous pics!!!! I will keep it brief, and you can view ALL of the pics from the day here: http://hijacked.us/~dertow/april30-2012/thumbs.html

Another must-ride road if you are ever in the area, is the "Tooley Pond Rd." which I took for a ways. Then took a wrong turn and had to backtrack via highway as you can see in the map.

Eventually managed to get to my trespassing destination of the day: an old iron mine facility.

From there I hit the highway, and after a brief call home, explored some state forest land/snowmobile trails before slabbing it back to the house.

Thanks for reading along! Hope you are all doing well and riding often. There are more pics in the link at the top of this post

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like an awesome day/ride!

Pretty cool old mine shots, it looks like a big derailed train.

Did you you do the 162 miles on a tank of gas (is that the x225 clarke tank?)

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Looked like an awesome ride. Wonderful looking trails, if you like water:) and some very interesting sites. I love the old passenger train cars. Good thing you didn't find skeletal remains in the glove and helmet! Thanks for sharing the rest of your photo's as well. Lots of cool things that one can see in the woods. Oh, and when you say upstate NY, you mean UP. Didn't realize you were that far north. Map was cool too!

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Looks like very cool ride and great pics. Taking on those water/mud holes by yourself can get you stuck in some of the places I ride. I always find it amusing when you find dirtbike parts/gloves and such when riding. You know there has to be a great story behind them.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Looks like enough variety in the terrain to keep you on your toes. I too like the railroad cars out in the middle of nowhere. I wish they could tell us their story. The best part is that you made a pretty respectable loop with no problems! Great ride report, thanks for sharing your adventure!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys, hope to get out to do a lot more rides to share with you soon!

importmech: the probability of getting stuck in some of those mudholes was very high. Many of them were in sandy or rocky areas so it didn't really matter, but when you find one with deep mud at the bottom that is made up of years worth of rotting vegetative matter... Well, I guess you know how that goes
My rear tire is almost bald now so that made it even worse, really. Trying to make it up a couple of muddy hills was "interesting" to say the least.

I only had to put my foot down in the water a couple of times though. One of the tricks that I had to get used to with the TW was to actually ride in the CENTER of many of the long water crossings that exist on ATV trails. My reasoning for this is that the suckers are so much deeper in the wheel ruts, it can cause some real problems. When riding in the center though you have to watch out for the "crown" and the very real possibility that you will steer, slide, or get sucked into one of the wheel ruts on either side... All in good fun though!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great pics! Wow that sure was a long ride…

I grew up Star Lake! As a kid I used to buzz the back roads and foot trails to the south of the lake on a Honda Z-50 or an XL-70. Very wild country back there. Those woods are still my favorite place in the world where I feel the most grounded.

I still go every summer to be with family but have no bike to ride. It seems everyone goes with quads for off road use because the forest is so difficult to get through with all the beaver dams and flooding etc. I’ve mentioned the TW to people but they don’t see the point. It’s either a cruiser or a quad for most of my friends that ride.

Over the last two summers an old buddy loaned me one of his bikes – a Suzuki Savage. I cruised up Tooley Pond road to Degrasse and back on Route 3. The feeling of a street cruiser (for me anyway)on those gravel roads is very uncomfortable. The Savage is a smaller 650 – higher pegs and low seat. NOT the TW experience for sure but I was happy just to be out riding up there. I sure did miss my bike though.

Thanks for the tour! Looking forward to summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts