TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was researching some trip options I realized both me and the roads just might be getting a little too warn out for some of my local destinations.
Last Group Ride while at Meadow Lake we were at the tail end of this Fordyce Trail, which we did not attempt. I explained there were several creek crossings and winch hills with evil reputations; and only time I attempted it I retreated with a broken clutch perch. Maybe this helps explain:

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Might have to skip this one too...am looking for remote moto-camping sites near Gold Lake Basin and the Sierra Buttes LookOut but this is ridiculous!

I see these TurfStone Pavers packed in for trail maintenance in places but here they apparently fly them in by the pallet load by helicopter.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
interesting "water cooled" system on that white 1st gen 4runner.
crazy things some people will do, but i bet tw-brian could get 36's on a tdub if he put his mind to it! ;)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Might have to skip this one too...am looking for remote moto-camping sites near Gold Lake Basin and the Sierra Buttes LookOut but this is ridiculous!

I see these TurfStone Pavers packed in for trail maintenance in places but here they apparently fly them in by the pallet load by helicopter.
Right about the 4:15 mark you can hear my mail lady blowing her horn at those guys.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Fred Gee Dang It. After watching those motorsickle video's I'm so glad to hear those may be too much for you and I'm not alone in the theory. In the first one the sidehill exposure is so steep I'd be crapping my pants and they could use my crap as pavers to finish the trail!

While I value watching the second video with its history and scenic beauty, I would have passed out on that trail from the exposure drop offs. You would have either found me in one of (first) creek bottoms or wrapped around a tree on the way to one.

I hate trails where the outside foot peg is hanging over the edge.

Thanks for sharing...I guess! :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definately some high stress riding. I have done stuff like that on a 35lb mountain bike that I could jockey around or bail pretty easily, but a couple hundred lb motorcycle is a different story.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now I know places I will not go. I've parked my TW below Fordyce Lake and hiked down to the water crossing in post#1 and watched exoskeleton Toyotas cross that current in Fordyce Creek. It is impressive. A motorcycle would get swept away.
This all started with research on Google Earth for some lake destinations and trails on my Forest Service map that I have yet to visit in the Gold Lake District. It all looks smooth from outer space.:p That is until trailside photos and Youtube videos are inspected. Don't think I could load the Cyclerack with camp gear and comfortably make it in and out of Snake Lake. Just too many miles of continuous steep broken rock. maxresdefault.jpg DSCN0775_zpsbe7a0a1d.jpg 20.jpg
Guess I'll find someplace easier to camp at and visit some more accessible places, like hike up to the Sierra Buttes Lookout. images.jpeg event_138075452.jpeg

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The route to Snake Lake and others can begin here at the fire tower, or from Gold Lake area at upper right photo corner up and over ridge to Snake Lake near upper left photo corner. sierra_buttes_lookout.jpg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Awesome but only back when I were a stud and immortal. I'll wait till I have that electric trail bike I can carry through the silly parts. Studlyness and immortality escaped me long ago thank god! So much more enjoyable these days.
"He who fights n runs away, lives to fight another day"
Would your opinion been different had you a compadre with? My stupidest crashes have always occurred when a riding partner dares me.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My problem is my riding companion Adam always says: "Let's do it!" :p
I fear if I weld up his Cyclerack again he'll just insist we load it up and overnight along the Rubicon Trail. We've been teasing each other last few years to do this trip, but even after the dynamiting the Little Sluice Box still looks nasty with a full load.

Before recent dynamiting: ( I somehow made it up the slick rock right side on a KDX once) IMG_1212.jpg

Current conditions: I may need lower gearing and bigger balls. 2489419-6._Entrance_to_Little_Sluice.JPG
Back as a boy would do this with my dad in stock CJ5, road was much better: marksmithbigsluice.jpg
And a generation before the touring autos of the day could motor through the sluice boxes to the therapeutic spring resort with only 2-wheel drive: littlesluice1920.jpg
Same section of Rubicon Trail. Amazing what 90 years of snowmelt and vehicle assisted erosion can do.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks Joe for the kind offer about transporting of a replacement rack. However it is the TW's crossbar under the seat that has the stress fractures, not the rack itself.
Adam is on his second rack after first one broke and Don at Cyclerack gave amazing service with a free lifetime warrantee replacement. Guess there are more good people out there deserving credit. Thanks Joe.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Great thread somewhere on making that weak spot better. Mighty been Ronnydogs genius, not entirely sure. Good time to think out an easier way to remove das seat. Like with out tools. I've a few friends that were jeepn the Sierras in the 70s comment about how trails have gotten much harder through use but the tech gets better and better (and mo expensive). Kinda removes the weekend family warrior thing but still really cool. Our civic duty to sleuth out TW country eh? I want that 50 lb electric dual sport with winch, sat nav and driverless. So I can watch my bike climb the hill and feel no pain.
No hurt to dream

1 - 20 of 22 Posts