TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21,373 Posts
Great suggestion Matt, Hoot deserves another adventure.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi Hoot. We are practically neighbors. I have room for a Dub mate for the Gathering of the Goats. Let me know if you are interested.

otherwise I always forget to take pictures...

—matt
Might be an idea...you are a few miles from me, but I do some security work on occasion at Anna, home of the Marysville sister Honda plant...not sure I can swing it that quick, but maybe I can get Montezuma to toss our rides in his pick up bed and see what shakes out...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Might be an idea...you are a few miles from me, but I do some security work on occasion at Anna, home of the Marysville sister Honda plant...not sure I can swing it that quick, but maybe I can get Montezuma to toss our rides in his pick up bed and see what shakes out...
Sounds like a plan coming together !

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Now Back to the Adventure {and other} Photos....

We, Borneo, Montezuma, and Hoot, stayed at Marquette longer than any stop on our Great Lakes Ride...did some shopping, some riding, some eating, hot tub, sauna, etc...I think Montezuma purchased another Leather Jacket, I think that made him about a dozen...when he outgrows them he gives them to Hoot...so my supply is good as well... 🤠 Pretty sure Montezuma slapped on some leather at this place.
Great Lakes Run 054.JPG

Marquette is on Lake Superior, but close to Lake Ontario, and Lake Michigan, as well...you can reach all 3 on a quick ride...

All Hoot Photos...

Superior:
Resized Superior 2.jpg

and Superior again...
Great Lakes Run 058 (1).JPG

The Boys head south to Lake Michigan...[again} Note Montezuma's latest Leatherwear ...
Great Lakes Run 067.JPG

And being our last day in the "Yooper" we would tackle the Mackinac Bridge...a huge swaying monster that sometimes is closed due to high winds, and other times Motorcycles are limited because of those conditions...we paid our fees and across we head to Lower Michigan...While Montezuma and Borneo started first, they go the smooth concrete, Hoot got stuck along side several 18 Wheelers and ended up riding most of the distance on the steel grated left side....The B
Mackinac Bridge 1.jpg

The Big Mac is 26,371 Feet above the intersecting of Lake Michigan and Lake Ontario...with my teeth rattling, I just wanted it to be over...not much time to really "enjoy" that portion of the ride...

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Heading South across the Mackinac Bridge...

Hoot's teeth rattling view ....even though I had passed the 18 wheelers, I was not about to risk the front T~63
mackinac steel grating.jpg

Crossing over to the right side with that drop off into never~never land. Borneo and Montezuma beat me across by a minute or so...once on the lower/south side, the view on that sunny day was much better.
Macinack Bridge.jpg

OK, across the bridge and heading south to Borneo's place...we finally ran into a bit of rain, but not much...just enough to annoy. Another decent motel and a good Friday bar menu, before that however, we sat down and decided which way to go on the way "home" ...

Who the Hell can read these maps...??? That's why they invented the GPS isn't it? The Ride Home Coming Up...
Great Lakes Run Road to Lake Nowhere.jpg

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Down the Lower we go...

We planned on making it another 2 days and one night covering the last 360 miles for the trip ... but the farther we went and closer we got to Borneo's Ranch we decided we could make it before dark set in and Boom! Back at the Ranch and enjoy some Chinese Food and Beers we were...Montezuma and I would spend the night, once again, in the luxury barn, and gift shop, and head out early Sunday morning for Ohio and home...8 days or was it 9 days and 8 nights and 1500-1600 miles covered. One more great adventure from the year of Hoot's Dual Sport Adventure Rides was in the books.

One more Borneo Repair...this time a brake lite cable was dragging, and we stopped as the Judge took care of business...and Montezuma posed in the church parking lot, as close to church as he ever gets...
Great Lakes Run 077.JPG
Final Day Resized 2.jpg

In a rush, we still managed to get some off road and scenic byway riding in...

Ludington Resize 1.jpg

But back in Northeast Indiana we made it...and the 3 travelers posed for a beer before settling in for more of those and some feasting...the 3 of us would hook up once more in 2015 for our West "By Gawd" Virginia mountain ride around Halloween...

As you can see, we, especially Hoot, picked up plenty of sun on this ride...😎

three amigos Borneo, Nick, Hoot (2).jpg

·
Registered
21,373 Posts
Heading for a Grand Canyon overlook with Mr. & Mrs. Admiral. No other traffic on the 60+ mile route both in & out in this remote corner of the National Park.

·
Registered
21,373 Posts
Was a pretty nice overlook too.
No guardrails, simply go as close as you feel comfortable. No need to make being afraid of dying make you afraid of living. Sometimes after peering over the edge one feels very much alive.

Lori here is laying on a shelf at 4,520 level and the Colorado River just below her is at ~1,700 ft just upstream from Lava Falls.

Maybe saying it in metric, 555 meters, makes it seem like not such a long way to fall.:giggle:

Note: You didn't see Admiral or me hanging our noses over the edge...been there, done that, let's just stand back a few feet & photograph Lori instead. :cool:

That Mrs.Admiral sure is one impressive & adventurous lady.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Some photos of my Solo Covered Bridge/Fall Foliage Rides last Fall... in Western Ohio last year...some of the few rides of any distance I went on during COVID Year 2020, not because of the Bullshit Flu, but because of the chicken littles out there...I pretty much stuck to the backyard BBQing, drinking beer, and smoking a good number of fine hand rolled cigars... 🤠 🍺👓
Covered Bridge Indian Lake.jpg
Annie Oakley 1a.jpg

DSC00022 (1).JPG

DSC01576 (1).JPG

Resized 5.jpg

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
More Adventure Photos...

{1} View from our KOA Gang Site @Moab 2015...
Moab 2015 View from KOA 1 (1).JPG

{2} Caught this Sunrise a few miles from the house {about a mile from Montezuma's place} on a Summer Morning a couple years ago...
Sunrise at Windy Point improved.png

{3} Might be one of Fred's shots, from Moab...Hoot riding in the Hinterland...
Hoot Riding Moab.jpg

{4} Not a TW related photo, but one I snapped on vacation with the family in the Summer of 1997...Sunset from the Pier at Key West...Iconic View {IMO}

Key West Sunset July 1997 2.jpg

and the final one on the day....{5} The view from my little sister's dock at Naples Florida from October 2019 when I spent the month House and pet sitting with her and Denmark Mike's {my brother in law} while they were back in his homeland on vacation...this, fishing, and grilling, on the screened in Lanai'

Naples Dock Sunset 1 (2).jpg

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
On the Trail...Some older photos from the early days of riding "Ol Blue"...That first Summer of 2014 ...then the
last photo taken after Montezuma got his 2015 and we tested it out before Moab 2015 around Borneo's Ranch!
Out and about TW 001.JPG

tw and bridges 004.JPG

Around the Lake 001.JPG

tw and bridges 008.JPG

TWing 002.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
More wandering photos...Early 1970 I snapped this "spy plane" called the Birddog on one of the Runways at Tan Son Nhut {Saigon} Air Base as I was getting off my night shift and strolling back to the barracks, or maybe to the NCO Club to have a morning beer to try to avoid my insomnia ...
tsn-houseworth-birddog-1969.jpg

Meanwhile back closer to home, on one of my Grand Lake Photography rides, I caught these two Canadian Geese {thousands of them on the Grand, pooping up the place}
canada geese sun.jpg

Then I caught this bunch of Canucks trying to poop in the lake and got the draw on them..."Hands Up Don't Shoot" boys...

Back with more later...heading towards 80 today in the Heartland...must be Global Warming in full bloom, and if it is..."I Love It" 😎

hands up don't shoot....jpg

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Today was just another day in Midwest Paradise...not sure when this early warm spring will turn, but What the Hell? We will take it as it comes...Some more Blasts from the Past...

August 2016 just back from the Southern Indiana Covered Bridge Ride with Montezuma...4 days of heat and a bit of rain...I was bushed and kicked back outside the garage with a brew and cigar... 🤠 🍺
3D Garage (1).JPG

Reactions: Mistervelocity

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Scenery from Big Bend NP March 2016... {1} The "Window at Sunset..Chisos Mountain
Big Bend Window Sunset 1a.jpg

{2} Looking across the scrubland towards the Chisos...
Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 098 (1a).jpg

{3} At the Rio Grand looking across the River into Mexico towards the small village of Boquillas:
Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 040.JPG

What to do in Boquillas - Visit Boquillas, Mexico Note the "Honor System" trinkets and walking sticks that the locals bring across the river, leaving a jug for cash, pick out what you please and leave some money..

{4} When you first enter the Park and climb towards the Chisos, this is your view...a great view indeed
Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 021 (1).JPG

{5} The vastness and variety of landscape is hard to imagine, unless you see/ride it in person...Desert, Mountains, River Canyons...and more. If you are into nightlife and bars...lots of luck, you have Terlingua or the Chisos Lodge...not much else.
Hoot Big Bend Vast.JPG

Reactions: Mistervelocity

·
Registered
443 Posts
IMG_2686.jpg

·
Registered
21,373 Posts
That stick does look memorable!

Reactions: Hoot Gibson
41 - 60 of 61 Posts